Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

15 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Probably because we ran the ball so much. He didn't have to do anything really. But we all know that under normal circumstances, Harbaugh is pretty garbage with clock management. Good for him though!

Going off no data, I don't think this is true at all. Nothing bothers me more watching a game than a team doing stupid things with clock management. But, I always remember it being some other coach in some other game. If Harbaugh was bad at this, I would hate him by now.

My feeling based on watching the team for a decade+ with Harbs is that we are way way better than the average team at this.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Going off no data, I don't think this is true at all. Nothing bothers me more watching a game than a team doing stupid things with clock management. But, I always remember it being some other coach in some other game. If Harbaugh was bad at this, I would hate him by now.

My feeling based on watching the team for a decade+ with Harbs is that we are way way better than the average team at this.

I think the Harbaugh “terrible clock management” stigma is coming from Harbaugh as a young coach. Admittedly his first 2-3 seasons he was definitely below average, but quite clearly it has seemed to be a strength of his/this team.

• Like 1

• The Ravens outscored their opponents by 82 points in the second half last year  — ranking second in the league overall and were first in the league at outscoring teams in the third quarter, by 53 points. The Ravens’ offense will find success again this year if Lamar Jackson is able to become a quarterback who can

LOMBARDI’S TAKE:  … play from behind and make the tough throws. If Jackson makes as much important progress in Year 2 of his NFL career as he did in his second year at Louisville, when he won the Heisman, then the Ravens offense will be able to play from in front or behind. 

Are there more bias and ignorance towards any NFL QB than Lamar Jackson at the moment?

Lamar played from behind in all his games at some point. Are there some specific point threshold that counts as "playing from behind"?

I certainly have my concerns about Lamar as a QB, but he get the least benefits of doubts. This is even worse than when Flacco was here.

• Like 3

I can't remember where I wanted us to look at Marlon Humphrey, but it certainly wasn't at pick 16 as I didn't expect him to learn so fast to turn his head around to find the football. 

Mark Andrews fell into the Dennis Pitta category as a big slot TE, and unless a TE is really explosive or an allround prospect, the 3-4 round is where they are taken.

Marlon Humphrey is my greatest prospect evaluation ever. He was my highest rated player from the class, and I was supremely confident he would turn into a shutdown CB. Even beyond that, I felt a large degree of risk would be mitigated with his potential selection as he flashed the traits of an easy safety convert candidate. A rare Safe & Boom pick. He just moved at different speeds than the players he was matched up against, despite being typically much younger than them. The skeleton of his more fleshed out current game still flashes in the ol' memory bank. Even back then he had that reflexive brilliance, you just had to look hard enough. 

Boy did he get beat up throughout the process too. "Alabama DB", "Can't play the ball", "Clemson targeted him on both picks and 50/50s", "He's just an athlete" etc etc. I'm sure it all served as motivation for him.

And him dominating for us makes it all the more incredible for me. I don't think think the nickname will ever take, but in my notes on him I wrote "Xenomorph". 

He and JJ Watt are my crowning achievements in terms of prospect evaluations. I have to rank Marlon ahead though, because though I thought JJ Watt was a can't miss All-Pro- I can't claim to have foreseen him becoming this bonafide All Time phenom status HOF savage. I don't think anyone could have predicted that.

On the flip side my biggest blunders and most humiliating evaluations are DeAndre Hopkins and Jonathan Cyprien. I though Cyprien could be Canton bound and Hopkins was a bum. And boy did I dip into some hyperbole on both, that I still cringe over lol. 

Nuk is and has been the best WR in the NFL imo, and will likely be a first ballot HOFer. Cyprien, I don't know what happened. College tape was great, high football character player- he just didn't pan out. His range didn't carry over to the pros, he couldn't impose himself as he did at FIU, dude just became a run of the mill box safety. 

On the topic of Mark Andrews and Dennis Pitta. Should we give the "Ozzie can't draft receivers" conversation another layer? In that Mark Andrews and Dennis Pitta could both be designated as giant SWRs? I mean Heap too excelled when split out. In the end Ozzie gave Flacco and the Ravens an inside(Dennis Pitta) and outside(Torrey Smith) receiver upon which we built a championship offense. Which is the only goal of team building. And all signs point to him having left of us another ferocious slot pass catching presence in Mark Andrews, from what was his final draft class as GM. They weren't receivers in name, but served the same purpose inside. Seems like Ozzie deserves some measure of credit in that regard. 

2 hours ago, Danand said:

I can't remember where I wanted us to look at Marlon Humphrey, but it certainly wasn't at pick 16 as I didn't expect him to learn so fast to turn his head around to find the football. 

Mark Andrews fell into the Dennis Pitta category as a big slot TE, and unless a TE is really explosive or an allround prospect, the 3-4 round is where they are taken.

The thing that got me about people being down on the Marlon pick was the many variations of this comment: "Ozzie is obsessed with Alabama players, LOL.  That's why he picked Marlon Humphrey. He should have taken OJ Howard or Jonathan Allen instead!"  Just didn't make any damn sense.

I was high on Marlon Humphrey as a potential safety convert - and still is, if he gets into the bracket of thrid contracts with us. My primary and close to only concern was, that Marlon would be one of those DB's who would not get beat on routes, but still allow the reception because he couldn't figure out to get his head turned in college - my experience is, that it is a natural thing and very difficult to learn - but Marlon certainly proved me wrong. If he had not been able to learn that part of the game, I believe he would have been and excellent convert to safety who could play all over the field.

No matter that Ozzie has been able to provide the Ravens with gifted pass catchers at the tight end position, I still believe the stigma that we could not draft wide receivers is well deserved. We never got the dominant receiver on the outside to help our QB and be the explosive option that could make the final play.

Torrey Smiths lack of effort to go up and get the ball against the Patriots in 2014 on our final drive still struck me as such a clear example of our lack of a WR like DeAndre Hopkins, Dez Bryant, Antonio Brown etc. who would have made that play.

Tight ends not named Gronk are rarely able to take over a game (although Kelce and Kittle have done it a couple of times) - a receiver is able to and also stretch the field in another way.

7 hours ago, Danand said:

No matter that Ozzie has been able to provide the Ravens with gifted pass catchers at the tight end position, I still believe the stigma that we could not draft wide receivers is well deserved. We never got the dominant receiver on the outside to help our QB and be the explosive option that could make the final play.

Torrey Smiths lack of effort to go up and get the ball against the Patriots in 2014 on our final drive still struck me as such a clear example of our lack of a WR like DeAndre Hopkins, Dez Bryant, Antonio Brown etc. who would have made that play.

I agree. Failing to establish an outside presence muted our offensive capabilities- frequently/consistently, to say the least.

Ozzie did manage to offset/dilute his shortcomings as a drafter, with strong WR additions as a FA recruiter and Vet scout though. Unfortunately, more often than not it was an insufficient patch on what seemed to be a systemic failure.

My only point is for how often we had shortcomings in our pass catchers on the outside, we also usually had some home grown inside presences we could rely on. If Ozzie had drafted some slot receivers in name, that put together similar campaigns to our Tight Ends when split out. The narrative would be a bit different. The only difference between Edelman/Welker making a clutch catch in the playoffs out of the slot, and Pitta doing the same- is positional designation. 

Should Mark Andrews and Hayden Hurst grow into the forces we think possible, and continue the legacy of Pass Catching Tight Ends in Baltimore. I think it's only right to acknowledge that while Ozzie failed to secure dominant outside pass catchers/receivers, he did secure the club inside/slot threats that were often strong enough to thrive without that outside balance and be that Go To option offenses need. 

I mean, not a WR in name...but

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, sp6488 said:

@DreamKid:Marlon Humphrey:: @sp6488:Stefon Diggs

Imaginary hack news headline- "Baltimore's Backyard Blunder: The Ravens fail to dig out WR gem Stefon Diggs from their own backyard". 

Round 2? "The Ravens' trade down allows a talented Maryland WR to escape them once Moore: Carolina selects a DJ for their draft day party".

RjeOl29.gif

lol Seriously, when are we going to get one of these guys? Is Torrey the pinnacle? Hope not.