Jump to content
Brit Pack

2019 Free Agent Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Is there any way demarcus Lawrence gets to free agency? I haven’t followed it that closely

Wouldn't want to sign him.  Big huge free agent pass rushers rarely turn out to be worth the money.  I'm probably missing one or two, but I feel like White was the last huge pass rush free agent that was worth it in free agency.

If they're worth it, their team will pay them.  And to answer your question, pretty sure the Cowboys will pay him.

Edited by Outpost31

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Is there any way demarcus Lawrence gets to free agency? I haven’t followed it that closely

 

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Wouldn't want to sign him.  Big huge free agent pass rushers rarely turn out to be worth the money.  I'm probably missing one or two, but I feel like White was the last huge pass rush free agent that was worth it in free agency.

If they're worth it, their team will pay them.  And to answer your question, pretty sure the Cowboys will pay him.

What Outpost said.....I can't remember a pass rusher that got to free agency without any warts.  Usually if you can rush the passer, the team finds a way to retain the player.

Top of my head, did Kerrigan make it to free agency?  Orakpo?  Thinking they did make it to free agency due to injuries.  Suh?  Fairley?  More DT's than pure pass rushers.

I seem to recall a lot of hype on here around Melvin Ingram a couple of years ago.  Thinking the Chargers inked him right before free agency started, kind of like we did Perry.  Seems to me like that scenario happens to most pass rushers.

And BTW...huge Lawrence fan here.  I think he's a great power player with more than enough speed.  

Edited by vegas492

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

 

What Outpost said.....I can't remember a pass rusher that got to free agency without any warts.  Usually if you can rush the passer, the team finds a way to retain the player.

Top of my head, did Kerrigan make it to free agency?  Orakpo?  Thinking they did make it to free agency due to injuries.  Suh?  Fairley?  More DT's than pure pass rushers.

I seem to recall a lot of hype on here around Melvin Ingram a couple of years ago.  Thinking the Chargers inked him right before free agency started, kind of like we did Perry.  Seems to me like that scenario happens to most pass rushers.

And BTW...huge Lawrence fan here.  I think he's a great power player with more than enough speed.  

I wasn’t necessarily advocating for him and I’m sure 20 million-ish a year contract in GB, but more curious about his status and what it will mean for the EDGE market 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I wasn’t necessarily advocating for him and I’m sure 20 million-ish a year contract in GB, but more curious about his status and what it will mean for the EDGE market 

By all means...advocate for him!  He's very good.  Powerful with agility and enough speed.  Seems to be kind of the power EDGE that Pettine may like.

I think right now...it is shaping up to be a nice EDGE class in free agency.  Kind of something for everyone.  Ansah, Lawrence, Ford, Peppers, Ray, Barr, Lynch, Matthews, Clowney, Suggs, Graham, Orakpo, Wake, Barrett, Golden, Clark...etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

By all means...advocate for him!  He's very good.  Powerful with agility and enough speed.  Seems to be kind of the power EDGE that Pettine may like.

I think right now...it is shaping up to be a nice EDGE class in free agency.  Kind of something for everyone.  Ansah, Lawrence, Ford, Peppers, Ray, Barr, Lynch, Matthews, Clowney, Suggs, Graham, Orakpo, Wake, Barrett, Golden, Clark...etc.  

Dee Ford has been incredible this year, but back injuries scare me. I would still make a run at him, Lawrence or Clowney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Dee Ford has been incredible this year, but back injuries scare me. I would still make a run at him, Lawrence or Clowney.

I don't follow him, but hasn't he taken a while to turn it on in the NFL?  

I don't think he is in the same league as Clowney or Lawrence, but I'm thinking that kid is going to get paid big!  And yes, back injuries scare me, too.

I'd like an edge guy.  And I'd take Barrett from Denver.  4 years, $28M or so.  And I'd try to bring Clay back for 2 years, $11M.  Something like that.  I think you could get two guys, like that, for less than a Clowney or Lawrence.

With Gute at the helm, it sure is going to be interesting to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vegas492 said:

I don't follow him, but hasn't he taken a while to turn it on in the NFL?  

I don't think he is in the same league as Clowney or Lawrence, but I'm thinking that kid is going to get paid big!  And yes, back injuries scare me, too.

I'd like an edge guy.  And I'd take Barrett from Denver.  4 years, $28M or so.  And I'd try to bring Clay back for 2 years, $11M.  Something like that.  I think you could get two guys, like that, for less than a Clowney or Lawrence.

With Gute at the helm, it sure is going to be interesting to watch.

I honestly don't really care who we add as long as we are going after a couple impact players. Not saying we need to become New England, but we could sure use some more veteran additions to help depth. 

Ford was banged up a lot. He had shown some promise, like his ridiculous get off, but he's put it together this year. Doesn't hurt that it's a contract year for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

Dee Ford has been incredible this year, but back injuries scare me. I would still make a run at him, Lawrence or Clowney.

Clowney is going to get tagged, so you might as well throw him out the window.  Overall, that EDGE list is mediocre.  Ezekiel Ansah is coming off an injury-plagued year, and he's been a bit hot and cold.  He's Olivier Vernon all over again.  DeMarcus Lawrence likely gets tagged as well.  Dee Ford is probably walking his way towards a tag as well.  Shane Ray has 14 career sacks in 46 games, and 8 of those sacks came in 2016.  Julius Peppers isn't leaving Carolina again.  12.5 of Aaron Lynch's career 18 sacks came in his first two seasons.  Suggs isn't leaving Baltimore. And then you're starting to get into pass rushers where the age is almost a deal breaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you go to the next level of EDGE rushers and maybe get Dante Fowler and Shane Ray. Pettine has always had double digit sack guys with pretty pedestrian guys. Hell Sackrell is heading to double digits. He's not as talented as either Ray or Fowler. Replace Matthews and Perry with those two guys and you have a nice mix with Sackrell, Gilbert and potentially Donnerson if he can make a leap. He's clearly athletic enough.

Throw in a top draft pick at EDGE and we are much improved there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

Id sure as hell like to look at Zeke Ansah once the seasons over.

Dude is the Nick Perry of Detroit.  Second he gets paid he's gonna be worth nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Literally all I want out of free agency is the best value at guard and a top shelf safety.  That's where the money spent gets you the best value in free agency these days.  Pass rushers/DL often get overpaid.  

We have all the draft capital we could hope for given a HoF QB, so if we keep a healthy cap and add a couple quality free agents a year, we are in a strong position going forward.

I dread signing a guy like Ansah to huge money or even a guy like Fowler to Perry money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Literally all I want out of free agency is the best value at guard and a top shelf safety.  That's where the money spent gets you the best value in free agency these days.  Pass rushers/DL often get overpaid.  

We have all the draft capital we could hope for given a HoF QB, so if we keep a healthy cap and add a couple quality free agents a year, we are in a strong position going forward.

I dread signing a guy like Ansah to huge money or even a guy like Fowler to Perry money.

Every position gets overpaid in free agency. There are guards getting double digits and above in free agency. No way Fowler gets Perry money so you can throw that out the window. He can be had at a value to that on possibly a shorter deal so he thinks he has another chance at free agency. 

Only need him for 2-3 years. 

 

Edited by Golfman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Literally all I want out of free agency is the best value at guard and a top shelf safety.  That's where the money spent gets you the best value in free agency these days.  Pass rushers/DL often get overpaid.  

We have all the draft capital we could hope for given a HoF QB, so if we keep a healthy cap and add a couple quality free agents a year, we are in a strong position going forward.

I dread signing a guy like Ansah to huge money or even a guy like Fowler to Perry money.

What top flight safeties will there be?

Earl is the one I frequently see and with his age/ injury history I’m a bit wary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×