2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

1 minute ago, St Vince said:

Do you guys think Lawrence would fit in this system?  I'd  take him over Clowney, every time I see him he's getting pressure even if he doesn't get home. He would be my biggest FA hopeful.

I'd love to see us land a big fish, but teams seem to figure out a way to hang on to their best players.  I bet in the end we end up having to trade for a big fish, or having to draft someone that can develop into one.

17 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Do you guys think Lawrence would fit in this system?  I'd  take him over Clowney, every time I see him he's getting pressure even if he doesn't get home. He would be my biggest FA hopeful.

Want to tie up about $20M/year on a defensive player?

Even if he does come "free", he isn't really "free".   Though, I've always liked him.  I feel like he's honestly a tough man.  Physical.  Plays with passion.  Everything you want.  But dang, that is going to be a big contract he gets.

39 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Want to tie up about $20M/year on a defensive player?

Even if he does come "free", he isn't really "free".   Though, I've always liked him.  I feel like he's honestly a tough man.  Physical.  Plays with passion.  Everything you want.  But dang, that is going to be a big contract he gets.

Why not? Most of the top teams now have them. And if they don't, they either had a couple elite drafts (Saints) or have incredible depth (Eagles, Vikings). We don't have time for the latter 2, unless we nail a couple of edge rushers in next year's draft

Edited by JBURGE

23 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Why not? Most of the top teams now have them. And if they don't, they either had a couple elite drafts (Saints) or have incredible depth (Eagles, Vikings). We don't have time for the latter 2, unless we nail a couple of edge rushers in next year's draft

Oh, I want him, no doubt.

Most teams that have one aren't paying a QB an average of $30M/year either.

I checked Spotrac...starting at $16.5M/year, here are your defenders.  Chandler Jones.  Watt.  Houston.  Vernon.  Cox.  Lawrence.  Ansah.  Miller.  Donald.  Mack.

Arizona doesn't pay the QB position too much.  Neither does Houston.  Kansas City.  Eagles.  Cowboys.  Broncos.  Rams.  Bears.

Giants pay Manning $21M/year/average.

Lions pay Stafford $27M/year/average. 

Rodgers is getting $33.5M/year/average.

I just wonder if having that much money tied up in 2 guys is a smart spend of money.  I think they need to keep money in reserve for Kenny Clark, too.  Though I think they could structure something with Lawrence that would allow Clark to be re-signed, too.

Your thoughts...would you rather have Lawrence at $20M/year average?  Or a combo of a second Edge guy, like Barrett and a top safety like Thomas at $20M/average/season total?

I do back and forth on that one. 

27 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Oh, I want him, no doubt.

Most teams that have one aren't paying a QB an average of $30M/year either.

I checked Spotrac...starting at $16.5M/year, here are your defenders.  Chandler Jones.  Watt.  Houston.  Vernon.  Cox.  Lawrence.  Ansah.  Miller.  Donald.  Mack.

Arizona doesn't pay the QB position too much.  Neither does Houston.  Kansas City.  Eagles.  Cowboys.  Broncos.  Rams.  Bears.

Giants pay Manning $21M/year/average.

Lions pay Stafford $27M/year/average. 

Rodgers is getting $33.5M/year/average.

I just wonder if having that much money tied up in 2 guys is a smart spend of money.  I think they need to keep money in reserve for Kenny Clark, too.  Though I think they could structure something with Lawrence that would allow Clark to be re-signed, too.

Your thoughts...would you rather have Lawrence at $20M/year average?  Or a combo of a second Edge guy, like Barrett and a top safety like Thomas at $20M/average/season total?

I do back and forth on that one. 

If we are going to draft en edge guy on day 1, then I go option 2. Lawrence isn't a game breaking player like Donald or Mack, so I would rather have a sum of players. 

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

If we are going to draft en edge guy on day 1, then I go option 2. Lawrence isn't a game breaking player like Donald or Mack, so I would rather have a sum of players. 

I dig the Lawrence talk...

You watch the 'Boys much?

Because the little that I do...it seems like Lawrence makes his guys look better, as the great ones often do.  He fights double teams and never gives up.  I would bang the table hard that if he isn't Mack or Donald, he's just a little bit below them.  I really like his game and the energy that he brings.

Because of that?  That's why I go back and forth with what is better.  2 guys at $20M, or one guy at $20M that may make the others better.

But I'm a big fan of Lawrence...and that does skew my view some.

The more I thought about Moretti19's signing of Frank Clark and drafting Jeffery Simmons from Miss St in his last mock, it's grown on me.  I like it, Clark would cost us about 12-14 mill per year, Nick Perry $ (?).  How about the Packers signing these three guys, if not tagged.  #1.  Frank Clark  Seahawks, #2.  Landon Collins FS  Giants and #3. Chris Hogan WR NE.  That could be about 30-35 million right there.

• Like 1

I think any WR that comes into GB will take at least one year in the system before Rodgers will trust him enough to be a true weapon on the team.  Athletically, Hogan is clear cut under what is on the roster as rookies in Moore, MVS and ESB.  I'm not a fan of that move.  I am a fan of getting those young receivers up and running in the offense.

Clark?  Love his game.  Hate his past.  Unsure how I'd feel about him.  I probably shouldn't have googled his name plus arrest.

Collins?  I don't watch enough Giant football to know how or if he fits.

On 11/27/2018 at 2:24 PM, SSG said:

He's been a lot closer to being JAG than the difference maker he was signed to be.  

He was on pace for 89 targets, 52 receptions, 707 receiving yards, and 3 TD receptions.  That'd be his 3rd lowest targets, 3rd lowest reception total, and 4th lowest yardage.  You want more production, give him more targets.  His yards per reception is the 3rd highest of his career.

4 hours ago, St Vince said:

The Cowboys are going to tag him.  As will Clowney.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:
5 hours ago, St Vince said:

The Cowboys are going to tag him.  As will Clowney.

You think the Cowboys use a 2nd tag on Lawrence? I doubt it. He just played himself into a bigger contract then they could have gotten away with giving him last year. 

My assumption is they sign him long term

Edited by JBURGE

4 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

You think the Cowboys use a 2nd tag on Lawrence? I doubt it. He just played himself into a bigger contract then they could have gotten away with giving him last year. 

They'll tag him if they can't come to a long-term deal prior to the deadline.  You don't let quality pass rushers hit FA.  And the ones who do will get overpaid.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:
19 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

They'll tag him if they can't come to a long-term deal prior to the deadline.  You don't let quality pass rushers hit FA.  And the ones who do will get overpaid.

They have the cap space to sign him. I can't see it not happening. 

6 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

They have the cap space to sign him. I can't see it not happening. 

Agreed.  I think anyone whose looking to find a pass rusher in FA is a fruitless effort.  Even those second and third tier guys are going to be overpaid.  A guy like Shane Ray or Shaq Barrett is going to get $8M+ easily.