2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Herman:

Morrison worked his way out of a contract. He was the "beneficiary" of a proven performance bonus which bumped his salary from under $1 million to a non-guaranteed $2.03 million. Green Bay likely would have kept him if not for the bonus & ultimately he wasn't worth over $2mil.

29 minutes ago, Leader said:

Herman:

Morrison worked his way out of a contract. He was the "beneficiary" of a proven performance bonus which bumped his salary from under $1 million to a non-guaranteed $2.03 million. Green Bay likely would have kept him if not for the bonus & ultimately he wasn't worth over $2mil.

The NFL can be a tough place for guys in the lower half of the roster.

I believe those "performance escalators" are based on snaps played, not necessarily quality of those snaps. Morrison really grew on me in the Detroit game, but he's not anything special. Packers need to bring him back or Ryan, whoever is willing to sign cheaper (Ryan gets a 1-2m buffer as he's better). Always nice to have those base/short yardage thumper, and they play ST too.

48 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

Wonder if we could have got in on Zeitler with Perry instead of Vernor.

Just looking at Vernon and Perry contracts.

They are both the same age but Vernon has no dead cap hits in his remaining years if the Browns were to cut him. With Perry he has 11m, 7.4m and 3.7m cap hits. Vernon has been a far more reliable starter over his NFL career than Perry who consistently misses a few games every season.

I don't think we had a chance had we dangled the Perry bait.

Btw i'm concerned that everytime there was a player we're all interested in, quite often it ends up being a Brown or a former Brown. Packers fans have shown interest in Zeitler, Duke Johnson. Gipson so far this offseason. This is a losing organisation and seeing Packers fans consistently mention former Browns is weird. We already got quite a few ex Browns in our front office and coaching staff, we also got quite a few ex Browns on our roster and yet for whatever reason we Packers fans are consistently wanting to see more former Browns. Its completely backwards thinking. What is it about Browns players we all like so much? all they've done is lose.

Its tough though because our DC will have links to many Brown players. The offence LaFleur wants to run is the same as Shanahan who is a former Brown coordinator.  It shouldn't come with any surprise that we are connected in some shape or form with Brown players, unfortunately so.

We need to be reeeeaaal careful that we don't become the new factory of sadness. We are bringing the bad thought processes and losing mentality to our organisation. It could be a cancer that festers and grow and could prove impossible to get rid of.

27 minutes ago, Chili said:

Just looking at Vernon and Perry contracts.

They are both the same age but Vernon has no dead cap hits in his remaining years if the Browns were to cut him. With Perry he has 11m, 7.4m and 3.7m cap hits. Vernon has been a far more reliable starter over his NFL career than Perry who consistently misses a few games every season.

I don't think we had a chance had we dangled the Perry bait.

Btw i'm concerned that everytime there was a player we're all interested in, quite often it ends up being a Brown or a former Brown. Packers fans have shown interest in Zeitler, Duke Johnson. Gipson so far this offseason. This is a losing organisation and seeing Packers fans consistently mention former Browns is weird. We already got quite a few ex Browns in our front office and coaching staff, we also got quite a few ex Browns on our roster and yet for whatever reason we Packers fans are consistently wanting to see more former Browns. Its completely backwards thinking. What is it about Browns players we all like so much? all they've done is lose.

Its tough though because our DC will have links to many Brown players. The offence LaFleur wants to run is the same as Shanahan who is a former Brown coordinator.  It shouldn't come with any surprise that we are connected in some shape or form with Brown players, unfortunately so.

We need to be reeeeaaal careful that we don't become the new factory of sadness. We are bringing the bad thought processes and losing mentality to our organisation. It could be a cancer that festers and grow and could prove impossible to get rid of.

I couldn't disagree more with your post about wanting players from a losing organization AT ALL. Usually I agree with things you say but that stance is a bit ignorant. Losing organizations have good players. This is a team game. So would you have never wanted Sanders, Moss or Joe Thomas just because of what organizations they came from? Honestly ... wanting good football players from bad teams isnt anything to be concerned about. Just saying...

Archived