2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

8 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

Ish no! 30 year old safety for 2019 season, hasnt played a full season last 3 years, wants to be highest paid safety. This is during a time where safeties are getting less and lots of options in free agency. Ish no

I would bet anything I own and everything I make the rest of my life that whatever deal he signs will look like **** when it's over. Aka when he's cut lol

• Like 1

Just now, packfanfb said:

I mean you could get him at around $12-14 mil per year and still have a 2019 cap hit around $9 mil or so. Just depends on how they structure it. 

You're dreaming.  Brandon Graham just re-signed before hitting free agency with his own team.  He will be 31 years old at the start of next season.  His deal is for 13 million per year.  Graham's highest sack total in his 9 year career was 9.5 sacks.  He has averaged 4.7 sacks per season.  If you honestly believe that Z. Smith will sign for any less than 14 million per should he hit free agency, it would be the most optimistic you have ever been in your entire life, and you'd be wrong. 

3 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Salary cap he’ll just doesn’t happen much anymore, teams have learned how to work the system, if Thomas passes the physical, pay him, why not? The Packers will be fine with the salary cap the next 4 years

The guy is a damn good player ... just have to hope he stays healthy for a while.  If he does you have an all-pro safety .. there is no question that he will be productive if he can stay on the field.  

4 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Salary cap he’ll just doesn’t happen much anymore, teams have learned how to work the system, if Thomas passes the physical, pay him, why not? The Packers will be fine with the salary cap the next 4 years

I don't disagree but that doesn't mean throwing money around on guys that don't live up to that money helps either. I know that's an obvious statement but still

16 minutes ago, Norm said:

I would bet anything I own and everything I make the rest of my life that whatever deal he signs will look like **** when it's over. Aka when he's cut lol

After he reads the play and picks Mahomes on 3rd down with 1:50 left in the 4th quarter of Super Bowl LV, I'm fine with the last year or two of his contract looking like ****. :) 

Given the probable lack of interest in him elsewhere, it's probably a done deal that Wilkerson will be back. As long as it's a team-friendly deal, that's good news. Next question will be when will he be medically cleared? Good that he got hurt in Week 3 so he had all year to recover, but that was a very serious injury. I wonder if he's on track for camp? 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'd be all about a restructure if Perry is open to it. It may be wise to hold onto him for at least this year given the EDGE market. 

I agree .. I think I would try to rework things.  If he won't do it .. let him walk.  I think he owes the Packers, but I'm sure he'll find some money if he hits the market.

30 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'd be all about a restructure if Perry is open to it. It may be wise to hold onto him for at least this year given the EDGE market. 

I'm just done with Perry.  I hope he does well wherever he ends up, but we can only get a playoff and one season of good from him.  If we are going to be below average, let Donnerson and Gilbert do it, at least they are young and cheap.  Young, cheap, and bad >> Old, expensive, and bad.

Man, I don't want to go pass rush in free agency.  I want to hit lesser positions in free agency because the value is better.  Don't see a single pass rusher hitting the open market that will be worth the contract they sign, and I think it's a mistake. 

WR/S/IOL/TE are the positions to go after in free agency. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Man, I don't want to go pass rush in free agency.  I want to hit lesser positions in free agency because the value is better.  Don't see a single pass rusher hitting the open market that will be worth the contract they sign, and I think it's a mistake. 

WR/S/IOL/TE are the positions to go after in free agency. 

Said this earlier. Double up at SAF and get a top OG. Grab a WR and TE if there's some left over. If we go EDGE, may be better value to grab a mid-range guy and then go EDGE-wild in the draft.