2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

4 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I don't believe he actually has a market. Not at those cap figures. Think this is a chiefs brass spread story in an effort to try and create a market for him before releasing him.

Houston's contract actually isn't that bad. I would be willing to bet that as a FA he would get north of $15maav for a 3 year deal. This deal is a one year $15.5m cap hit, and a team option for 2020 at $17.5m at which point you could cut him, or extend him for another year or two to lower the hit and add guarantees. 

Edited by JBURGE

22 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I was pretty excited when we signed him to a prove it deal; unfortunately, he was underwhelming in the couple games before the injury. With him coming off an ankle injury like that, I would honestly rather go with someone else there, especially someone with some more pass rush ability. I would like us to make a run at Henry Anderson depending on what his price range is. 

With that being said, It wouldn't be the end of the world if they resigned him pretty cheap and he was apart of a rotation with Lowry, Adams, and Lancaster for the 3rd spot on the d-line/depth. 

I'd take Mo back on a prove it deal with incentives.  But, look long term at the DL.  Lowry and Daniels are due new deals next year.  I think Clark will get a new deal or get the 5'th year option picked up.  So...under contract for 2020....Adams, Deion Simon (who?), Eric Cotton (who?).  That is it.  Add Clark in there (cuz he isn't going anywhere), and we still have a need for another good, young DL.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Houston's contract actually isn't that bad. I would be willing to bet that as a FA he would get north of $15maav for a 3 year deal. This deal is a one year $15.5m cap hit, and a team option for 2020 at $17.5m at which point you could extend him for another year or two to lower the hit and add guarantees. 

While living in KC, I am a big Houston fan and always regretted that we selected Derek Sherrod over him in the 2011. With that being said, he isn't the same Houston that dominated a few years ago. Injuries have taken its toll and even though he is only 30 years old, he has really began to slow down; kind of like a Randall Cobb situation. The 9 sacks looks solid but he was basically a non-factor besides those and Dee Ford/Chris Jones definitely helped with that number.  I don't think he is getting double digit millions per year as a FA.

As mentioned, I assume he will be released, I don't see anyone trading for that contract. 

Edited by Victor1124

2 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

While living in KC, I am a big Houston fan and always regretted that we selected Derek Sherrod over him in the 2011. With that being said, he isn't the same Houston that dominated a few years ago. Injuries have taken its toll and even though he is only 30 years old, he has really began to slow down; kind of like a Randall Cobb situation. The 9 sacks looks solid but he was basically a non-factor besides those and Dee Ford/Chris Jones definitely helped with that number.  I don't think he is getting double digit millions per year as a FA.

As mentioned, I assume he will be released, I don't see anyone trading for that contract. 

Someone will have to find it for me because I can't, but I remember reading something along the lines of Houston being a top 2 or 3 OLB this year in pass rushing efficiency. Not saying I want to trade for him, I would rather see what he wants in FA, but he's not as ineffective as most people think. He is banged up a lot now though

25 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Houston's contract actually isn't that bad. I would be willing to bet that as a FA he would get north of $15maav for a 3 year deal. This deal is a one year $15.5m cap hit, and a team option for 2020 at $17.5m at which point you could cut him, or extend him for another year or two to lower the hit and add guarantees. 

Do you really think he's going to get that kind of contract on the open market? I don't man, I don't really see it at his age and recent injury history. I could be wrong but I feel like that's a lot of change when you factor in those two things. Guess we'll see though!

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

Someone will have to find it for me because I can't, but I remember reading something along the lines of Houston being a top 2 or 3 OLB this year in pass rushing efficiency. Not saying I want to trade for him, I would rather see what he wants in FA, but he's not as ineffective as most people think. He is banged up a lot now though

Yea, he definitely wasn't bad; saying he was a non-factor besides his sacks was probably a little strong. My analysis is just what i noticed when watching the games, especially from what he use to be. I do think a lot of his statistical success could have came from teams focusing on Dee Ford and Chris Jones, but he did take advantage and win some of the one on ones. There is also a reason that a team that needs defensive help and is close to the Superbowl is wanting to trade/release him with that contract, as well as not having a real successor to be confident in (their previous 2nd round picks on the DL haven't been great) . People will say it is because they are switching to a 4-3 but Houston can put his hand in the dirt and play 4-3 DE. 

I see him more as a 7-9 million a year guy but you never know with the market now. 15 million a year seems pretty strong. 

Edited by Victor1124

2 hours ago, gopackgo247 said:

poor guy has been stuck in GB for that entire dismal season and now into the offseason.

Pretty good ice fishing up there.  Guessing that shouldn't happen if you have a bum ankle.  LOL!

BTW...iced a 30 inch walleye last week up there.  Pre-spawn.  Huge fish.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Pretty good ice fishing up there.  Guessing that shouldn't happen if you have a bum ankle.  LOL!

BTW...iced a 30 inch walleye last week up there.  Pre-spawn.  Huge fish.

Did you keep it?  How did you prepare it if you kept it?

Reading this made me torn between busting out laughing or throwing up. 

*On a more serious note, this information, if true, actually cements my feeling that the Packers shouldn't bring Brice back at all. At best, he's a reserve player who will have to accept a demotion and understand that he's not starting and has no business starting. Sounds like he feels differently and wouldn't be happy with that role, which probably isn't good for the locker room, etc. I say just forego any tender and let him walk. 

Edited by packfanfb

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'd take Mo back on a prove it deal with incentives.  But, look long term at the DL.  Lowry and Daniels are due new deals next year.  I think Clark will get a new deal or get the 5'th year option picked up.  So...under contract for 2020....Adams, Deion Simon (who?), Eric Cotton (who?).  That is it.  Add Clark in there (cuz he isn't going anywhere), and we still have a need for another good, young DL.

How dare you disrespect Tyler Lancaster like this