2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

13 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

He's still only 30 and it looked like he still had a pretty explosive burst the few games I watched him this season. In 12 games last year he still had 9 sacks and 8 tackles for loss. I think he has a few highly productive years left if he can stay healthy. Does anyone know what the price tag would be like on him? I would love to explore this option if it is for the right price.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:04 PM, CWood21 said:

No.  But I'm not interested in paying $7M+ for a mediocre CB.  Breeland was nice, but let's not pretend like he was anything special.  Honestly, I'd rather draft another CB in the first round than sign Breeland to much more than 2 years, $10M.

but tramon was fine at that number... really helped the team last year...

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Rapoport:

The Panthers are releasing nickel CB Captain Munnerlyn. A solid CB available in a less-than-strong FA market at that position.

He's REALLY small. And not like "just short of threshold" like Jaire was but like a full 2 inches short.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Cut Bulaga!!!

While i am a Bulaga fan when he is on the field and cutting him makes no sense; PFF ratings lost me when they had HaHa Clinton -Dix as the top rated safety at one point last year. Also, the second guy on that list is a guy a large majority of people here don't think should be the starter next year. Wasn't McCray good in 2017 and then not that good plus hurt in 2018?

I have mentioned this before, but i don't think it is a guarantee Bulaga is done in GB after this year. If he puts together a healthy 2019 and isn't too expensive, I wouldn't be totally surprised if he was brought back given his age and the fact that he is one of the better RT's when healthy. 

8 hours ago, Victor1124 said:

While i am a Bulaga fan when he is on the field and cutting him makes no sense; PFF ratings lost me when they had HaHa Clinton -Dix as the top rated safety at one point last year. Also, the second guy on that list is a guy a large majority of people here don't think should be the starter next year. Wasn't McCray good in 2017 and then not that good plus hurt in 2018?

I have mentioned this before, but i don't think it is a guarantee Bulaga is done in GB after this year. If he puts together a healthy 2019 and isn't too expensive, I wouldn't be totally surprised if he was brought back given his age and the fact that he is one of the better RT's when healthy. 

McCray wasn't good in 2017, but we were so freaking thin on the OL due to injuries that he played a lot and at least offered some versatility. As a starter in 2018 he was average at best even before his injury problems. Think PFF graded him in the 60s which is about right. McCray isn't a bad backup to have for depth but he has no business starting for an NFL team, let alone one with Rodgers at QB. 

Edited by packfanfb

9 hours ago, Victor1124 said:

I totally agree on not accepting PFF as gospel, but  I think it helps reinforce the point that cutting him wouldn't be smart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

McCray wasn't good in 2017, but we were so freaking thin on the OL due to injuries that he played a lot and at least offered some versatility. As a starter in 2018 he was average at best even before his injury problems. Think PFF graded him in the 60s which is about right. McCray isn't a bad backup to have for depth but he has no business starting for an NFL team, let alone one with Rodgers at QB. 

I would argue that McCray was about equal in 2018 to what he was in 2017.  I also stated that I thought he was the most important re-signs last offseason because I saw him as an ascending, cheap player.  I saw Lane Taylor version 2.0.  Unfortunately, he was probably maxed out at borderline starter.  I think the difference between the seasons is that we expected McCray to be garbage in 2017, and he was satisfactory; then in 2018 we expected middle of the road, but got satisfactory and injury, and it just wasn't good enough.  I was thinking McCray would be at least a short term starter while we developed some guards.  As it stands now, I want a starter from this draft, and probably someone who can replace Taylor when he is a FA, I don't have any desire for the team to give him a third contract.

11 hours ago, Victor1124 said:

While i am a Bulaga fan when he is on the field and cutting him makes no sense.

Only way you cut Bulaga is if you sign his replacement as a FA.
You want to totally destroy the right side of our OL - cut Bulaga w/o a ready/steady replacement in hand already.

Add on edits:

Rapoport: The Browns are giving LT Greg Robinson a 1-year deal worth up to $9M including play-time incentives, source said. $7M base value. A nice deal for both sides, one that could lead to a long-term relationship in Cleveland if Robinson continues this trajectory.

Herman: Yeah pretty sure Bryan Bulaga is still a steal at $8.2 mil this year.

Edited by Leader

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

Only way you cut Bulaga is if you sign his replacement as a FA.
You want to totally destroy the right side of our OL - cut Bulaga w/o a ready/steady replacement in hand already.

There isn't a replacement on the market. Juwuan James is the only one close, and I admit I have no clue how he has been over the last 2 years

7 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

There isn't a replacement on the market. Juwuan James is the only one close, and I admit I have no clue how he has been over the last 2 years

Then we dont cut Bulaga - unless we designate a top draft pick and he's got it down.
Being cheap isnt always the smartest way to go IMO and the right side of our OL is already challenged enough right now.

Just now, Leader said:

Then we dont cut Bulaga - unless we designate a top draft pick and he's got it down.
Being cheap isnt always the smartest way to go IMO and the right side of our OL is already challenged enough right now.

Cutting Bulaga would be a huge mistake. We are already looking at potentially having two new starters, at the guard spots. Having a 3rd would be a poor choice