So, Who Has a Good Defense This Year?

goldfishwars

Titans are 1st in points allowed, 6th in total yards, 7th in passing yards, and 10th in rushing yards (more importantly 5th in ypc). Not the best at getting to the QB so far though (18th), but have been better as of late with 8 in the last 2 games. Not good at forcing turnovers either (tied for 22nd with only 9).

If we forced more turnovers we'd be the best in the NFL imo.

21 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Titans are 1st in points allowed, 6th in total yards, 7th in passing yards, and 10th in rushing yards (more importantly 5th in ypc). Not the best at getting to the QB so far though (18th), but have been better as of late with 8 in the last 2 games. Not good at forcing turnovers either (tied for 22nd with only 9).

If we forced more turnovers we'd be the best in the NFL imo.

21st in the NFL in pass pressure % (not yet counting week 10). 

Team Press Rate Rank
LARM 36.9% 1
DAL 35.7% 2
JAC 34.2% 3
DEN 32.7% 4
PIT 32.7% 5
NE 32.4% 6
CHI 32.0% 7
GB 31.7% 8
CAR 31.4% 9
MIN 30.1% 10
PHI 30.0% 11
BUF 29.9% 12
LAC 29.7% 13
ARI 29.7% 14
HOU 29.5% 15
DET 28.0% 16
SF 27.9% 17
KC 27.9% 18
BAL 27.6% 19
NYG 27.6% 20
TEN 27.6% 21
WAS 27.4% 22
SEA 26.4% 23
CIN 25.5% 24
NYJ 25.3% 25
ATL 24.9% 26
CLE 24.5% 27
IND 24.4% 28
MIA 24.4% 29
NO 23.5% 30
TB 23.3% 31
OAK 17.4% 32

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I'd chalk that up to some sub par offenses. The pieces are there to be a great unit, but it has yet to come together - even against bad offenses.

i think when we have our guys back it will show improvement.  We have an elite run defense.  We just need Colvin, Joseph and Cunningham to come back.

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

21st in the NFL in pass pressure % (not yet counting week 10). 

Team Press Rate Rank
LARM 36.9% 1
DAL 35.7% 2
JAC 34.2% 3
DEN 32.7% 4
PIT 32.7% 5
NE 32.4% 6
CHI 32.0% 7
GB 31.7% 8
CAR 31.4% 9
MIN 30.1% 10
PHI 30.0% 11
BUF 29.9% 12
LAC 29.7% 13
ARI 29.7% 14
HOU 29.5% 15
DET 28.0% 16
SF 27.9% 17
KC 27.9% 18
BAL 27.6% 19
NYG 27.6% 20
TEN 27.6% 21
WAS 27.4% 22
SEA 26.4% 23
CIN 25.5% 24
NYJ 25.3% 25
ATL 24.9% 26
CLE 24.5% 27
IND 24.4% 28
MIA 24.4% 29
NO 23.5% 30
TB 23.3% 31
OAK 17.4% 32

Should definitely go up after this week is accounted for, but not sure how much. We were moving Brady off his spot and making him uncomfortable all afternoon. Defense as a whole has been playing great all season but has flipped a switch after the bye as far as getting to the QB is concerned, similar to how the offense is all of a sudden great in the redzone.

7 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Should definitely go up after this week is accounted for, but not sure how much. We were moving Brady off his spot and making him uncomfortable all afternoon. Defense as a whole has been playing great all season but has flipped a switch after the bye as far as getting to the QB is concerned, similar to how the offense is all of a sudden great in the redzone.

Oh I'm not writing the Titans' defense off at all. (if that's indeed what you took from my comment and thought that's what I meant by it). I was only providing stats that basically confirmed what you were saying is all.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Oh I'm not writing the Titans' defense off at all. (if that's indeed what you took from my comment and thought that's what I meant by it). I was only providing stats that basically confirmed what you were saying is all.

No no I got what you were saying. I was just sayin it should go up a bit

I feel like most of the defenses in the NFL, performance wise, are basically just a product of their circumstance. Does their offense help or hurt, and does their schedule help to hurt. I don't see any defenses that are good enough to stop the top offenses, or many that are bad enough to not stop the worst offenses.

I think with the sophisticated offenses plus the rules that help the offenses out alot, I dont think there is a good defense in the NFL. I think there are teams that can make more stops than others. I think there are teams that play better situational football than others. I also think there are teams that have that one player on defense ala Donald, Mack, Watt who can effect the game in such a way that the overall defense might not be great BUT you know when there is a MUST STOP to be had that player will go make it and help the team win.

The days of having an ELITE defense are over. Its about offenses and making a few stops on defense or stealing a few possessions on special teams by onside kicks, fake punts, fake field goals, or just flat out keeping the offense on the field to go for it on 4th down. That way the offense is on the field again to try to score more points. Those teams who can do that will more than likely be successful.

The Redskins are 4th in points allowed. It would probably be #1, if not for Drew Brees Day & the Falcons stinker. But it is, what it is.

We are also very opportunistic in causing turnovers.

But the 9 games play with no lead changes, is truly baffling. I don't think I've ever seen that & I've been watching football for a long time.

Basically, if the Redskins score 1st? They win.

If the opposing team scores 1st? They win.

The irony of it all is, we don't have an explosive offense.

And if that's the case? Then we must have a pretty good defense. At least....when it matters. Lol

My beef with raw stats - doesn't account for opponents, or game flow (i.e. if you are up 3-4 scores, who cares if you give up a TD late).  

CHI's D, given who they have faced compared to the AFCS schedule, there's just no comparison.  I say that with nothing but respect for TEN & HOU's D.   But man it's not that close, it's CHI and no one else right now.  Keep in mind that pass pressure rating of 32% is with 3 games without Mack (or pretty much without, in that NE game he got hurt early).   

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

My beef with raw stats - doesn't account for opponents, or game flow (i.e. if you are up 3-4 scores, who cares if you give up a TD late).  

CHI's D, given who they have faced compared to the AFCS schedule, there's just no comparison.  I say that with nothing but respect for TEN & HOU's D.   But man it's not that close, it's CHI and no one else right now.  Keep in mind that pass pressure rating of 32% is with 3 games without Mack (or pretty much without, in that NE game he got hurt early).   

Very true.

And I totally get what your saying.

And if the Redskins had a Saints Offense & were averaging 30 pts a game? Up 3 TD's all the time? Then the no lead change stat would be unimpressive.

But the Skins Offense is ranked in the low 20's I believe. I think they're averaging maybe 20 pts a game, if not less.

So to be up 3 or 7 with Qtr or more to play & to be able to maintain that lead without giving it up? Is very impressive, imo.

Specially, in today's passing extravaganza Offense in the NFL. It's almost unheard of.

No doubt that the Bears have a stellar Defense. But they can also put pts up on the Board, too.

The Redskins have scored 30 or more pts 1 time this season. It was against the Packers (31).

Archived