Jay Cutler in Denver

KOTN-93

If the 08 Broncos get into the playoffs, Shanahan wouldn't have been fired, and OC Jeremy Bates probably stays. That would have helped Cutler (Bates worked well with him). Also, an improved defense (the 08 Broncos D was one of the worst ever) and a more consistent running game with Peyton Hillis (the Broncos didn't have a great running game in 08 because of injuries) would have been a big help as well.

5 hours ago, KOTN-93 said:

Kyle Shanahan had a lot to do with that though. I know hes playing well this year but not on the level he did that year. I really think being shipped off to Chicago was the worst thing to happen to him. The Bears gave up so much to get him they couldnt build around him.(3 1sts I believe it was?) Obviously the attitude issues may have persisted but QBs have been good while being crappy people.

That would be completely inaccurate as Ryan is actually on a better pace this year numbers wise than he was under Shanny.

Shanny as OC -       4,944 yards   69.9% completion   38 TD's   7 int's
This years pace -    5,360 yards    71.1% completion   38TD's   5 int's (This is based what he has done through 9 games avg'd out for the rest of the season)

He has also done this with a MUCH WORSE O-line,  a much worse defense,  and no Freeman at RB for the majority of the season.   Although he did get Calvin Ridley added in.

To me without a doubt this is Ryans best year of his career with what he has had to deal with up to this point and is more impressive than his MVP season.

22 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

George was better at his peak though. Cutler just stuck around a bit longer as a starter

Cmon now, Cutler was not great by any means, but let's not get out of hand here. Tim Brown could make any QB and coach look better than they actually were all by himself, and Marshall/Jeffery are no Tim Brown.

38 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

If the 08 Broncos get into the playoffs, Shanahan wouldn't have been fired, and OC Jeremy Bates probably stays. That would have helped Cutler (Bates worked well with him). Also, an improved defense (the 08 Broncos D was one of the worst ever) and a more consistent running game with Peyton Hillis (the Broncos didn't have a great running game in 08 because of injuries) would have been a big help as well.

I don't necessarily disagree with this as whole, but I'm not sure any of these circumstances would have changed Cutler's physical and mental mechanics. Being baited so easily by defenders, throwing into double(sometimes triple) coverage, constantly throwing off his back foot, etc. 

20 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Cmon now, Cutler was not great by any means, but let's not get out of hand here. Tim Brown could make any QB and coach look better than they actually were all by himself, and Marshall/Jeffery are no Tim Brown.

I mean George did have 2 pretty damn good seasons in Atlanta as well.  And he had a huge year with the Vikings in 1999 when he saved our season and won us a playoff game.  He was just never able to stick around enough consistently, but he usually did good enough to earn a chance somewhere else.  Cutler was just good enough to not be replaced since they had given up so much to get him in the first place and vastly overpaid him when they finally got the chance to in 2014, but the Bears more got stuck with him and regretted it.  Marshall isn't Tim Brown, but he's one of the most productive receivers of the last decade, and Alshon Jeffery actually won a title as a #1 receiver which is something Brown never did (although I will obviously agree Brown was definitely better than Alshon currently is by a good amount)

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Jeff George. From the arm talent all the way to the attitude and work ethic. He's quite literally Jeff George.

George was an immature jerk. Cutler never came off like that. Never had an incident like the June Jones fiasco, and never ran around on the field after the game when he beat his former team on their city. Never went on a local radio show and said he ignored his offensive coordinator, and just threw it to Tim Brown on third downs. Also, I think that internet meme looking like he didn't care actually got into people's heads, and they equated it to him being lazy or disinterested. When really, I don't think that was true at all. 

Cutler's "Don't care" reputation comes from memes and because he didn't go back out in the NFCCG in 2010 despite suffering a significant knee injury on his plant leg. He was a fine QB who never had a consistent offensive voice in his ear and after 2011 was put behind some really, really miserable offensive lines. 

39 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Cutler's "Don't care" reputation comes from memes and because he didn't go back out in the NFCCG in 2010 despite suffering a significant knee injury on his plant leg. He was a fine QB who never had a consistent offensive voice in his ear and after 2011 was put behind some really, really miserable offensive lines. 

Ahhh that's right the 2010 NFC Championship game. Yes, he had a terrible knee injury if I remember correctly. 

It's pretty crazy how that event and I think more largely that internet joke has created revisionist history among a lot of people regarding his career. 

48 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Ahhh that's right the 2010 NFC Championship game. Yes, he had a terrible knee injury if I remember correctly. 

It's pretty crazy how that event and I think more largely that internet joke has created revisionist history among a lot of people regarding his career. 

Cutler's body language said a hell of a lot. He just didn't really seem to care much if his team won or lost the game. Didn't seem to show any type of leadership qualities that you need in a QB. I think 1 playoff appearance in 12 years tells you what you need to know.

The only stats he ever led the league in were INTs (twice).

2 hours ago, H.E Pennypacker said:

Cutler's body language said a hell of a lot. He just didn't really seem to care much if his team won or lost the game. Didn't seem to show any type of leadership qualities that you need in a QB. I think 1 playoff appearance in 12 years tells you what you need to know.

The only stats he ever led the league in were INTs (twice).

I mean to each their own, but I don't really subscribe to the thought process of being able to psychoanalyze some stranger through your TV or computer screen, and come to a quality conclusion of who they are as an individual. I've seen Cutler elated after he throws a touchdown or frustrated after taking too many sacks just like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. But because he's been lackluster as a player, and may not have the most engaging persona, he's been labeled as someone who didn't care about football, or didn't work hard. It's just a bogus narrative. 

Also, his performance as a player isn't really relevant as to how hard he does or doesn't work. Or how often the Bears got to the playoffs. It's like saying Barry Sanders didn't care about football or wasn't a good leader, because he just handed the ball to the official after he scored or was quiet. But because he was good, no one cared.

There are plenty of guys cut every single training camp biting and scratching for opportunities. They just aren't talented enough. Doesn't mean they didn't put in complete effort. 

Archived