Jay Cutler in Denver

KOTN-93

To me its one of the biggest what ifs in the last decade. Say Either Shanny keeps his job or McDaniels doesnt go full Gruden and deal a good young QB in favor of Tebow and attempts to develop him. Would Cutler have been a star? Or would his non-chalant attitude still held him back. I'm really curious what everyone thinks. Personally I don't think he becomes a superstar but he endsbup in the 7-10 range ala Matt Ryan or Russell Wilson. Thoughts

Even in his Pro Bowl year in Denver, he started off hot but was pretty up and down as the year went along.  He threw 18 INTs and had 20 turnovers total.  I think he would have been exactly what he was his entire career - a good quarterback that you can compete for a championship with provided the right pieces are around him and one that can throw you back into a game with a little help, but not one that will make the team around him better and not one that will be an efficient passer.  Has to have a high volume of throws to reach his desired level of stats and will turn it over a good amount in the process of doing so

2 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

He never hits Matt Ryan tier IMO.  Matt Ryan is borderline elite, and already has an MVP season.  Cutler has never even thrown 30 TDs.   It's the same thing with Wilson.

Kyle Shanahan had a lot to do with that though. I know hes playing well this year but not on the level he did that year. I really think being shipped off to Chicago was the worst thing to happen to him. The Bears gave up so much to get him they couldnt build around him.(3 1sts I believe it was?) Obviously the attitude issues may have persisted but QBs have been good while being crappy people.

Just now, KOTN-93 said:

Kyle Shanahan had a lot to do with that though. I know hes playing well this year but not on the level he did that year. I really think being shipped off to Chicago was the worst thing to happen to him. The Bears gave up so much to get him they couldnt build around him.(3 1sts I believe it was?) Obviously the attitude issues may have persisted but QBs have been good while being crappy people.

Matt Ryan has always been pretty good though.  He used to get hated on, but he was never that bad.  He had better stats than Cutler his early years in the league.  He wasn't elite, or MVP level, but I would have trusted him over Cutler.  Matt Ryan and the Falcons competed with Brees and the Saints pretty much since he's been there.  

Maybe Cutler gets significantly better, but I doubt it.

Traded or not, he was never going to be a star or ever live up to his draft status. 

Most Bears fans (not this one) got enamored by his 4,000 yards passing without realizing that when he was in Denver he had a top-5 OL, a quality TE and a good receiver corp and was still never consistent. Coincidentally, these very same arguments were used to try an defend him ("he has no supporting cast"). 

2 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Had all the talent in the world, just didn't care enough

This is not true.

Archived