Is this the year New England has to play a Wild Card Game?

CKS97

1 hour ago, CKS97 said:

Only 2 of New England’s 8 SB appearances came not as the 1 seed (2001, 2004).

and that was back in the cheating days. Maybe there is a link between their home field being that important, but I never saw it that way. I thought they were better coached and usually had the best QB in the league, or close to it. That will win most times anyways

18 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's okay. It's the AFC. We understand. NE always gets a free ride to the AFC CG.

It comes with the territory of being the best in the conference. Perceptively, of course the best team is going to have an easier ride to the CG - how can they not? If LAR keep this up, they'll have free rides to the CG too.

1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

and that was back in the cheating days. Maybe there is a link between their home field being that important, but I never saw it that way. I thought they were better coached and usually had the best QB in the league, or close to it. That will win most times anyways

If you're going to lie/troll/btch - at least get the years right. 

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

If CKS is a Steelers fan, he's never shown his face in our forum. Same can be said for NFL Expert 49. Having said that, I see a few threads made about the Steelers that were made by non-Steeler fans including at least one by a Patriots fan.  Just sayin'.  So, Don't blame the Steelers fans either.

He's a PIT fan and he's created about 7 threads about the Pats. I'm not blaming Steelers fans, I'm blaming him. Surely that's not hard to understand?

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He's a PIT fan and he's created about 7 threads about the Pats. I'm not blaming Steelers fan, I'm blaming him. Surely that's not hard to understand?

I'd argue he's a bandwagon Steelers fan then, considering I haven't seen him in the Steelers forum once. There's also a reason he's only got 285 posts or something like that.

It's an interesting topic though, frankly I don't have a problem with it.  I also agree with you previous post, as the #1 seed, you SHOULD in theory have a "free ride" to the ACG.  I'd also like to argue that they have not never faced a challenge, and they've also not won every ACG.  So regardless of getting a 'free ride' according to some, they still have to play the game

I am one of the many fans that feel that the officiating at times favors the NE Patriots, having said that, they have 0 control over the fact that teams like Miami, Buffalo, NYJ, Oakland, etc are absolutely terrible.   They dropped the ball against the Titans, I am sure most NE fans wouldn't disagree with that, it's not typical of NE to "not show up" against a team that's very inferior to them.  

I think there's a chance they could lose a game that isn't against the Steelers, will they? No idea, maybe not and if they don't and they beat the Steelers, at worst they'll be the #2 seed.  If they beat the Steelers and the Steelers win out all except that game and NE still loses another game, they will (in theory) end up the #3 seed, but it also depends on what KC does.  There are actually a lot of variables yet to this equation but the only 3 AFC teams I think are a serious threat are KC, NE, and Pittsburgh.

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'd argue he's a bandwagon Steelers fan then, considering I haven't seen him in the Steelers forum once. There's also a reason he's only got 285 posts or something like that.

It's an interesting topic though, frankly I don't have a problem with it.  I also agree with you previous post, as the #1 seed, you SHOULD in theory have a "free ride" to the ACG.  I'd also like to argue that they have not never faced a challenge, and they've also not won every ACG.  So regardless of getting a 'free ride' according to some, they still have to play the game

I am one of the many fans that feel that the officiating at times favors the NE Patriots, having said that, they have 0 control over the fact that teams like Miami, Buffalo, NYJ, Oakland, etc are absolutely terrible.   They dropped the ball against the Titans, I am sure most NE fans wouldn't disagree with that, it's not typical of NE to "not show up" against a team that's very inferior to them.  

I think there's a chance they could lose a game that isn't against the Steelers, will they? No idea, maybe not and if they don't and they beat the Steelers, at worst they'll be the #2 seed.  If they beat the Steelers and the Steelers win out all except that game and NE still loses another game, they will (in theory) end up the #3 seed, but it also depends on what KC does.  There are actually a lot of variables yet to this equation but the only 3 AFC teams I think are a serious threat are KC, NE, and Pittsburgh.

It's a bit of a free ride TO the CG, but the CG is invariably tough for us. No#1 D Jacksonville last year, PIT with a 9-game win streak the preceding year, Denver in MH served us up twice, an easy Colt game, a not so easy Baltimore one. They are tough. The div round tends to be easy, for sure. 

"I think there's a chance they could lose a game that isn't against the Steelers, will they?"

Probably. I think we'll lose 2 more - one against Steelers and probably Dolphins. We won't be winning anything this year.

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It's a bit of a free ride TO the CG, but the CG is invariably tough for us. No#1 D Jacksonville last year, PIT with a 9-game win streak the following year, Denver in MH served us up twice, an easy Colt game, a not so easy Baltimore one. They are tough. The div round tends to be easy, for sure. 

"I think there's a chance they could lose a game that isn't against the Steelers, will they?"

Probably. I think we'll lose 2 more - one against Steelers and probably Dolphins. We won't be winning anything this year.

Appreciate the honest response.  As a Steelers fan, I know the stats when it comes to how often we don't beat the Patriots so conventional logic says we won't, but I feel like we're just finding ways to win, but let's be honest, isn't that what the Patriots do too?

In terms of the Patriots having a free ride in the AFC:

- In the 9 SBs since 2001 that the Patriots haven't played, the AFC is 5-4.

- From 2001-2018, the AFC is 581-546-4 vs. the NFC. Even when you back out the Patriots' best-in-the-league interconference record, the rest of the AFC has still been 525-531-4 against the entire NFC, which is close to .500.

- From 2001-2018, the Patriots have a higher winning percentage vs. the NFC (.789) than the AFC (.758). Ditto the Steelers (.707 vs. 649) and the Broncos (.606 vs. 564). Others as well, but that's just a sample.

- From 2001-2018, 5 of the top 6 winning percentages vs. NFC teams belong to AFC teams (NE, PIT, DEN, IND, TEN).

- From 2001-2018, 5 of the top 6 winning percentages vs. AFC teams also belong to AFC teams (NE, PIT, IND, BAL, DEN).

Just because the NFC has had a wider variety of best teams doesn't mean the conference was better. It has actually been the opposite.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

"Only"

Since 2011 only 4 of the 14 Super Bowl participants aren't number 1 seeds. The whole point of the season is to win your division and then after that set yourself up best for a playoff run. It's pretty hard to do that in general, moreso when you face a 1st place schedule every year. 

Archived