Perry to IR Looney brought up from practice squad

Golfman

Pretty informative (and lengthy) article on the Perry contract issue. In a nutshell,

By any objective analysis, the Green Bay Packers’ contract with outside linebacker Nick Perry has been a disaster [and] 

the Post-June 1st cut appears to be the Packers’ best and most likely option with Perry. It provides the team significant financial flexibility in 2019 while avoiding continuing to pay out money to an often-injured player whose pass rush numbers have dropped precipitously in recent years.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2018/12/1/18120954/breaking-down-nick-perrys-salary-cap-implications-for-the-packers-in-2019

20 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Pretty informative (and lengthy) article on the Perry contract issue. In a nutshell,

By any objective analysis, the Green Bay Packers’ contract with outside linebacker Nick Perry has been a disaster [and] 

the Post-June 1st cut appears to be the Packers’ best and most likely option with Perry. It provides the team significant financial flexibility in 2019 while avoiding continuing to pay out money to an often-injured player whose pass rush numbers have dropped precipitously in recent years.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2018/12/1/18120954/breaking-down-nick-perrys-salary-cap-implications-for-the-packers-in-2019

With the rollover, the Post June 1st Designation becomes really interesting. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Too drunk, will do math in the AM. 

If you save 7M with the post June cut but keep them as rollover to account for the delayed cap hit in 2020, you might as well cut him outright and swallow the 11M in 2019. Post June only makes sense if we want to go all in in 2019 and use those 7M to add / extend someone. I could see the argunent that we might want to keep those 7M for mid-season flexibility though, maybe we need to add some low level FAs to cover for injuries and what not.

5 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

If you save 7M with the post June cut but keep them as rollover to account for the delayed cap hit in 2020, you might as well cut him outright and swallow the 11M in 2019. Post June only makes sense if we want to go all in in 2019 and use those 7M to add / extend someone. I could see the argunent that we might want to keep those 7M for mid-season flexibility though, maybe we need to add some low level FAs to cover for injuries and what not.

gDTjQDV.png

Basically there's no reason not to do a June 1st Cut. If you want to save the money for next year, you just don't spend it. The June 1st cut just gives you flexibility to spend that money if you want to. 

From what I have read, the June 1st cut designation allows teams to cut a player and spread the dead cap between the current year and the following year.  I believe the amount that is accounted for in the future year is "held" as a cap charge for the current year until June 1st.  This limits what teams can use during the current FA period, but allows them to spend with a "reserve" amount of cap space coming available after June 1st....this can be used for Draft pick signings, extensions, rollover, etc

So for Nick Perry, since he has $3.7M in signing bonus money for each of 2019, 2020 and 2021, that is the total $11.1M in dead cap should he be cut.  

IF cut "before" June 1st,  that $11.1M would be on the 2019 salary cap account and $0 in 2020.

If cut "after" June 1st, then $3.7M would count for 2019 and the remaining $7.4M would count in 2020, but that $7.4 would not be available to use in 2019 until after June 1st.

@AlexGreen#20 noted this above in table form, I tried to summarize in text form.

If it's true we save that extra money by cutting Perry, there's no way you cannot cut him IMO. Could be a very interesting offseason for the Packers. Hopefully new head coach, Gute's first offseason with more money to spend and perhaps a lot of turnover to this roster. Just off the top of my head, here would be my notable cut/walk list:

1. Cobb 

2. Matthews 

3. Perry

4. Crosby 

5. Tramon

6. Wilkerson

7. House 

Matthews is the only one I'd consider bringing back if he would take a team friendly deal.

Other possible surprise cut -- Jimmy Graham. A lot of money coming to Graham next year and we could probably use it more wisely elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If it's true we save that extra money by cutting Perry, there's no way you cannot cut him IMO. Could be a very interesting offseason for the Packers. Hopefully new head coach, Gute's first offseason with more money to spend and perhaps a lot of turnover to this roster. Just off the top of my head, here would be my notable cut/walk list:

It is not really saving money, but more when that money (from the signing bonus) is counted against GB salary cap total.  

$11.7 needs to be accounted for (the balance of the signing bonus from 2019, 2020, 2021)

Pre June 1 it is all in 2019

Post June 1 it can be split $3.7 in 2019, $7.4 in 2020

It helps the 2019 cap hit, but increases the 2020 cap hit.  

The base salary and other roster/work out money also affects things.  

In the end, I agree that Perry being a post June 1st cut is a very real possibility.

On 12/1/2018 at 8:30 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

With the rollover, the Post June 1st Designation becomes really interesting. 

June 1 cuts really aren't.  They're designed to help teams who are cash strapped by allowing them to spread the cap hits over future years.  By releasing Nick Perry, the Packers save $3.6M this year but if they release him with a June 1 designation, they save $11M this year.  But if they cut him this year, they end up with $11.1M in dead cap this year.  If they use a June 1 designation, they $3.7M in dead cap this year and $7.4M next year.  Is the extra $7.4M worth an extra $7.4M in dead cap next year?  Probably not.

On 12/2/2018 at 10:52 AM, packfanfb said:

If it's true we save that extra money by cutting Perry, there's no way you cannot cut him IMO.

If it weren't for the emergence of Kyler Fackrell this year, it'd be a much tougher scenario.  Looking at the first round picks (non-top 10) last year, we had Haason Reddick (445 snaps), Derek Barnett (424 snaps), Charles Harris (497 snaps), Takk McKinley (401 snaps), and TJ Watt (751 snaps).  The year before, we had Shaq Lawson (237 snaps).  In 2015, we had Bud Dupree (563 snaps) and Shane Ray (341 snaps).  So we're looking at ~500 or so snaps out of a rookie pass rusher.  We've gotten 302 snaps out of Nick Perry this year.  The bigger issue is that we've gotten 573 snaps out of Clay Matthews.  That's the bigger issue.

Archived