The Great Playoff Debate

MWil23

Just now, CWood21 said:

IF Ohio State is behind Oklahoma after tonight's rankings, I don't think there's a scenario in which Ohio State would jump Oklahoma when Oklahoma wins.  

I said the exact same thing in 2014 with TCU and Baylor.

Just now, CWood21 said:

A blowout win by Ohio State probably isn't going to change things.  

Probably, but there's always a chance.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Ohio State opened with a 14 point spread, so everyone is expecting a blowout.  It'd be one thing if you had a blowout in what was expected to be a close game.  But winning big probably doesn't change anything for Ohio State IMO.

I wouldn't bet on a blowout anyway. Fitzgerald coaches his kids up and offensively will do some things that give OSU a hard time with shifts, motions, etc. His defenses also tackle very well and aren't as prone to give up big plays.

IMO Notre Dame playing 1 less game than everyone else is a real (un)fortunate advantage for them.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Only way I put OSU in is if Alabama beats Georgia and Texas beats Oklahoma. Then OSU sneaks in as #4 imo. 

I mean if OSU blows Northwestern out of the water and Oklahoma wins like 55-50, it will definitely have to be a discussion. I think I’d still put in Oklahoma though. 

I dont see any real way to leave OU out either. Beating the team that beat them kinda nullifies the loss. Especially when it makes you conf champion doing so.

Just now, MWil23 said:

I said the exact same thing in 2014 with TCU and Baylor.

The Big 12 conference screwed themselves by trying to hedge their bets and crowning co-champs.  If they would have stuck with Baylor, they probably would have been in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I dont see any real way to leave OU out either. Beating the team that beat them kinda nullifies the loss. Especially when it makes you conf champion doing so.

Yeah.  Getting an opportunity to avenge your only loss helps out significantly.  There's little doubt in my mind that if Ohio State faced Purdue again, they'd win.  But they don't get that opportunity.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Big 12 conference screwed themselves by trying to hedge their bets and crowning co-champs.  If they would have stuck with Baylor, they probably would have been in the playoffs.

I said so at the time. When your motto is "One True Champion" and you do that garbage, you have it coming.

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Thats cute. Boycotting a playoff to decide the best team. Because they invited the best 4 teams.

The best team will win regardless if there are 4 teams or 8. No one wants to see bama v georgia again. No one except the south likes anyone from SEC.

Put the conference Champs in there and play an extra game. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Oklahoma was ranked higher because of Southern bias. There has only been one year where less than 3 Southern teams made the playoff, and in that year neither Southern team won their playoff game.

Southern football fans were furious, and so the playoff committee has made sure at least 3 Southern teams made in in each year since then.

Give it a rest... Ohio State got blown out by Purdue... Oklahoma's loss was to a top 15 team in a close game and now they avenged that loss, Oklahoma looked more impressive against the common opponent, the only thing Ohio State has going for them is the win over Michigan.

I agree that there is a southern bias in college football but in this particular case the southern legitimately deserves to get in over the northern team.

2 hours ago, pf9 said:

Oklahoma was ranked higher because of Southern bias. There has only been one year where less than 3 Southern teams made the playoff, and in that year neither Southern team won their playoff game.

Southern football fans were furious, and so the playoff committee has made sure at least 3 Southern teams made in in each year since then.

That's definitely not it... They are ranked higher because they beat a really good West Virginia team. You shouldn't get jumped after beating the #13 team no matter how good Ohio State looked.

Eh, truth be told Ohio State isn't as good as some past years even though their QB is better that defense has struggled for some reason. There also isn't a surefire team that deserves that last spot if Clemson wins. So some will go against the worse loss, some will go with the better win and some will go with who has the best chance to compete with Alabama.

I don't think anyone should be too salty for not getting in, whether it be Ohio State if they win or Oklahoma. A play-in game might have looked good this year though, but other years not as much.

Archived