The Great Playoff Debate

MWil23

1 minute ago, PAW said:

Herbstreit just said his final rankings are

Bama Clemson Georgia Notre Dame

Said if Georgia moves it will be up not down. What a joke if he is right. 

I agree with him. I think Georgia is the 3rd best team. I say they can beat ND, beat OU and OSU.

What is wrong with saying that if you think they can?

20 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I agree with him. I think Georgia is the 3rd best team. I say they can beat ND, beat OU and OSU.

What is wrong with saying that if you think they can?

Because they have two losses and no marquee wins. You thinking they can beat someone doesn’t matter. Their resume isn’t good enough to warrant being put in as a 2 loss non champ. They would’ve needed a resume like Auburn last year (assuming they didn’t go to Championship and ended up with 2 losses) where they had the losses but also wins off Alabama and Georgia who both would’ve been top five in the rankings in that scenario. 

9 minutes ago, PAW said:

Because they have two losses and no marquee wins. You thinking they can beat someone doesn’t matter. Their resume isn’t good enough to warrant being put in as a 2 loss non champ. They would’ve needed a resume like Auburn last year (assuming they didn’t go to Championship and ended up with 2 losses) where they had the losses but also wins off Alabama and Georgia who both would’ve been top five in the rankings in that scenario. 

Isn't that the difference with the CFP? They don't purely look at resume, they ask the question of which football teams are the best? Honestly not even sure, been ahwile since I've looked nto their criteria and I know they changed it after year 1.

Anyway, based on resume, OU is in over OSU. OSU needed to come out and smash NW if they wanted a chance to get in over Oklahoma and make up for their inferior regular season, and that didn't happen. 

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Isn't that the difference with the CFP? They don't purely look at resume, they ask the question of which football teams are the best? Honestly not even sure, been ahwile since I've looked nto their criteria and I know they changed it after year 1.

Anyway, based on resume, OU is in over OSU. OSU needed to come out and smash NW if they wanted a chance to get in over Oklahoma and make up for their inferior regular season, and that didn't happen. 

Thats what I go by. And why we have a whole host of people and take the majority answer.

If out of 10. Me and 3 others think Georgia is playoff worthy. While 6 say OU could beat Georgia. OU is in, I have no problem with that.

My issue is when people might think Georgia plasters OU. But votes OU simply because of record or conf champ.

6 hours ago, pf9 said:

Oklahoma was ranked higher because of Southern bias. There has only been one year where less than 3 Southern teams made the playoff, and in that year neither Southern team won their playoff game.

Southern football fans were furious, and so the playoff committee has made sure at least 3 Southern teams made in in each year since then.

You still think we deserve to be in the playoffs with how we’re playing Northwestern?

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

If that's the case Ohio State should'e been in the playoffs in several more years that htey didn't make it.

2 hours ago, PAW said:

Herbstreit just said his final rankings are

Bama Clemson Georgia Notre Dame

Said if Georgia moves it will be up not down. What a joke if he is right. 

I would agree with his rankings, with an argument for OU over ND, but only if we're saying "best 4 teams in" solely on future performance and scrapping the resume business entirely.

My biggest criticism in this entire debate is that people aren't agreeing on the same set of underlying goals. Are we getting the best 4 teams in? Are we getting the teams with the best 4 resumes in? Are we getting the teams that best represent the majority of CFB in so that we can say every team has a chance to win a Natty at the start of the year?

If people don't agree on that basic criteria, you never get anywhere. I'm a best 4 teams guy, and it seems like Herby is too.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I would agree with his rankings, with an argument for OU over ND, but only if we're saying "best 4 teams in" solely on future performance and scrapping the resume business entirely.

My biggest criticism in this entire debate is that people aren't agreeing on the same set of underlying goals. Are we getting the best 4 teams in? Are we getting the teams with the best 4 resumes in? Are we getting the teams that best represent the majority of CFB in so that we can say every team has a chance to win a Natty at the start of the year?

If people don't agree on that basic criteria, you never get anywhere. I'm a best 4 teams guy, and it seems like Herby is too.

Agreed, and I think it's a big problem that the committee tries to tow the line and value both resume and best teams/future performance. I'd say they need to either put the 4 best resumes in (although then why even exit the BCS? That put the best resumes in IMO), or put the 4 best teams in. Not mix and match like they have, where they have the clear mindset of "well we can't leave ___ out, they are undefeated!" but "we'll let ___ in, just look at their talent!" Makes for a mess.

Top 4 resumes: Bama, Clemson, ND, OU.

Top 4 teams: Bama, Clemson, Georgia, OU

I predict the committee mixes and matches and we get Bama, Clemson, ND and Georgia.

Archived