Game 12: Browns @ Texans; the Browns Superbowl.

Kiwibrown

get on that poll.  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Baker is...

• GOATy
    • good.
    • Hornbybrown
    • the best thing from texas
    • QB1 (of the nfl)
  2. 2. Browns go to Texas and

• kick name and take ***
    • just win baby
    • Houstans texas wins (refs)
    • hornby2
  3. 3. Who wins NFL rookie of the week this is

• Baker
    • Ward
    • Corbett
    • Chubb
    • chad
    • Callway (he is due)
    • Avery (also due
    • Simeon Thomas
    • kiwi
    • Desmond harrison

I still think that passing on Watson was a mistake, but that said, it's basically this:

Would you rather have DeShaun Watson and whatever draft pick that we'd have taken at another position in the high first that isn't a QB (Chubb? Ward?), since he would have won us some games last year...

OR

Peppers

Mayfield

Ward

...while having a terrible 2017

It's hard to argue with intentionally taking a beating in 2017.

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I still think that passing on Watson was a mistake, but that said, it's basically this:

Would you rather have DeShaun Watson and whatever draft pick that we'd have taken at another position in the high first that isn't a QB (Chubb? Ward?), since he would have won us some games last year...

OR

Peppers

Mayfield

Ward

I know you loved Watson, but I’m still skeptical. (Probably will be reserving judgement during his HOF speech at this point, but whatever...)  I also question how much success he’d have had here (with Hue) and without guys like Hopkins, Fuller and a talented defense.

With hindsight, I’d rather have Baker, Ward and Peppers than Watson.

Awesome GDT.

This game has the possibility of going anywhere from a blood bath to a Browns victory.

There are two factors in our favor, but I don't know how much they favor us.

1.) - Houston played on Monday night. It doesn't happen all the time, but if you are going to catch a very good team on a down day, the Sunday after a Monday has been the ticket. Teams expend so much adrenaline getting up for the national TV game, it can be a while before they "reload".

2.) - Building on point one - all NFL players are human beings too. The Texans family suffered a significant loss recently with the passing of owner Bob McNair. Monday night was their first game since that event. There had to be extra juice running through their veins for that - but now it's back to reality, and the gravity of that loss may be setting in.

The matchups noted by @Kiwibrown in the GDT are extremely valid. Texans pass rush off the edge must be addressed. The best way I see to do that is to invite the pass rush and dump screens behind them. This will not be the game for the deep shots down the field. Everything coming out of Baker's hand must be quick, quick, and then quick. This offensive game plan will put Freddie to the test.

@bosko1616pointed out this could be LAC v2.0. Yup. Denzel Ward will have his hands full with Hopkins. But the Browns front seven is going to have to play out of their minds neutralizing Deshaun Watson's ground game, and Lamar Miller's ability to make basic plays turn into game changers.

I am not going to say that our Browns have zero chance - but they will improve their chances the longer they can hold onto the ball and keep Houston's borderline elite offense on the sidelines. This will be a tall task for us on Sunday.

Finally, maybe this is a slight quirk in NFL scheduling but this is the third game in the last four in this series that will be played at NRG Stadium in Houston. The Texans lead the all time series 6-3.

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/cleveland-browns/teamvsteam?opp=13

53 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I know you loved Watson, but I’m still skeptical. (Probably will be reserving judgement during his HOF speech at this point, but whatever...)  

I understand why a lot of people do, but I think that Baker and Watson have a lot of similarities personally with their intangibles:

*Great huddle presence

*Extremely smart and able to dissect different defensive looks presnap

*Very accurate

*Have the "it" factor with confidence, demeanor, etc.

Their styles of play are different and Watson is always an injury away, but that could be said about anyone too (Alex Smith)

I also question how much success he’d have had here (with Hue) and without guys like Hopkins, Fuller and a talented defense.

I think that he's worth more than 0 wins last year, even with all of that other stuff. Kizer was a disaster in the Red Zone. That cost us at least 3-4 games. We probably win 2 alone just based off of that.

With hindsight, I’d rather have Baker, Ward and Peppers than Watson.

I definitely agree. We'd also still have that high pick, so Ward would still be Ward (or someone else), but I'd still rather have what we have.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

OR

Peppers

Mayfield

Ward

Having watson also probably means still having hue.  Or having a ruined Watson 

Archived