TheKillerNacho

TIGHT END

Top 5:
1. O.J. Howard 89.4
2. Gerald Everett 86.1
3a. Travis Kelce 85.0
3b. George Kittle 85.0
5. Zach Ertz 77.0

Howard, Everett, Kittle were all drafted in 2017. The Giants drafted Evan Engram that year, who has a case of the dropsies, can't stay healthy, and is losing almost all of his playing time to Rhett Ellison and Scott Simonson because he doesn't fit the offense. Thanks Jerry Reese! Gettleman has hit on more 3rd round picks in one year (BJ Hill and Lorenzo Carter) than Reese ever has (Mario Manningham, that's it).

13 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Thanks Jerry Reese! Gettleman has hit on more 3rd round picks in one year (BJ Hill and Lorenzo Carter) than Reese ever has (Mario Manningham, that's it).

Can say the same thing about Brian Gaine and Rick Smith, actually (Justin Reid alone is trending better than any 3rd round pick in the Rick Smith era...)

7 hours ago, DawgX said:

Sounds about right for Browns players. Charles is really a TE so has no business being a fullback. Coley has been disappointing after being solid last season. Chubb and Schobert have both been great. I would guess players like Garrett and Ward probably aren't too far off from being ranked near the top, but Garrett faces a lot of stiff competition.

Feel like him rushing back from that high ankle sprain so he could play Week one pretty much ruined him for the season. Instead of getting healthy he has been playing on a bum ankle all year 

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't disagree, but people are operating as if drafting Saquan was some sort of horrible decision when they could have had Darnold (or Rosen). Reality is, the Giants would be worse with Darnold/Rosen, as they're just as bad as the Jets, roster wise. 

The Giants went BPA, and nothing is wrong with that. The tandem of Barkley and (Herbert/Grier/Lock) is considerably better than a combo of Darnold and (Harris/Love/Snell). 

The Giants made the right choice. 

Well yeah, certainly for 2018. Cards, Bills, Jets and Ravens would probably be better in 2018 if they would have went another position besides QB in the1st round too. Odds were the same goes for Cleveland it just wasn't the case in that one instance. The QBs that were taken were taken by QB needy or soon to be QB needy teams to build around in the future. The Giants may have 1 or 2 wins now instead of 3 but they are going to be a year behind if they draft a QB next year (or get a Mayfield or Watson who is good out of the gate).

Maybe the plan is to stick with Eli 3 or 4 more years and aren't worried about the position in 2019, then I'd say it was a no brainer not to draft a QB. Otherwise I'd say it was a debatable choice even with Barkley playing RB much better than the rookie QBs are playing that they could have selected. If they liked any of them of course.

On 11/28/2018 at 9:13 AM, ET80 said:

I don't disagree, but people are operating as if drafting Saquan was some sort of horrible decision when they could have had Darnold (or Rosen). Reality is, the Giants would be worse with Darnold/Rosen, as they're just as bad as the Jets, roster wise. 

The Giants went BPA, and nothing is wrong with that. The tandem of Barkley and (Herbert/Grier/Lock) is considerably better than a combo of Darnold and (Harris/Love/Snell). 

The Giants made the right choice. 

Disagree strongly. I was cheering like crazy when they picked Barkley. By the time the Giants get a QB and develop him, Barkley will be on a second contract/ran into the ground. 

Nothing about their year 1 production proves they made the right pick. RBs easily transition into the NFL. QBs it normally takes years before they fully grasp the game. 

As for the list, I feel like they are being harsh on Gallup. He started out as our ~4th WR and has moved into the #2 role as a rookie. Outside of a few drops, he has been solid.  

33 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Disagree strongly. I was cheering like crazy when they picked Barkley. By the time the Giants get a QB and develop him, Barkley will be on a second contract/ran into the ground. 

Nothing about their year 1 production proves they made the right pick. RBs easily transition into the NFL. QBs it normally takes years before they fully grasp the game. 

As for the list, I feel like they are being harsh on Gallup. He started out as our ~4th WR and has moved into the #2 role as a rookie. Outside of a few drops, he has been solid.  

Just curious - do you feel the same way about the Cowboys drafting Zeke Elliot?

16 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Just curious - do you feel the same way about the Cowboys drafting Zeke Elliot?

When we drafted Zeke, we anticipated Romo would be our starter for many more years. So its not really the same. 

Even with that said, every report out there was that we were drafting Wentz until the Eagle leapfrogged us. I wanted Wentz that year. 

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

QBs it normally takes years before they fully grasp the game. 

I think we've been seeing guys buck this trend lately. Goff, Wentz, Watson, Mahomes - maybe a few years ago this was the case, but this new age of QB? They're ramping up quickly nowadays.

One thing that helps the ramp up process is adequate talent at various offensive positions - Goff has Gurley and the trio of WRs, Wentz has/had a strong OL and Ertz, Watson has Hopkins and Mahomes has Hunt, Hill and Kelce. Lock/Herbert/Grier will have Odell and Saquan, so there's something to help the transition.

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think we've been seeing guys buck this trend lately. Goff, Wentz, Watson, Mahomes - maybe a few years ago this was the case, but this new age of QB? They're ramping up quickly nowadays.

One thing that helps the ramp up process is adequate talent at various offensive positions - Goff has Gurley and the trio of WRs, Wentz has/had a strong OL and Ertz, Watson has Hopkins and Mahomes has Hunt, Hill and Kelce. Lock/Herbert/Grier will have Odell and Saquan, so there's something to help the transition.

Thing is Lock/Herbert/Grier has not on the same level as Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen as prospects. 

Also the Giants could have traded down, acquired multiple picks and still landed Rosen plus an RB like Chubb, Kerryon or Guice in the 2nd. 

I'll take Rosen + Multiple picks + Chubb/Guice/Kerryon over Lock/Herbert/Grier + Barkley anyday. 

Taking Barkely at 2 was a bad decision and this is coming from someone who thinks Barkley is the best RB in the league. 

51 minutes ago, jarren said:

Thing is Lock/Herbert/Grier has not on the same level as Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen as prospects. 

These things are so hit and miss - once upon a time, Mahomes/Watson we're not on the same level as other prospects, and once upon a time, Winston/Mariota were clear cut #1/#2 guys... so I don't put much stock in these beliefs until they start taking snaps at the Pro level.

53 minutes ago, jarren said:

Also the Giants could have traded down, acquired multiple picks and still landed Rosen plus an RB like Chubb, Kerryon or Guice in the 2nd. 

Who is trading UP, though? There was a ton of pre-draft movement, so I don't think moving down is as clear cut as people tend to think it is. 

54 minutes ago, jarren said:

I'll take Rosen + Multiple picks + Chubb/Guice/Kerryon over Lock/Herbert/Grier + Barkley anyday. 

To each their own, I wasn't high on Rosen overall...

55 minutes ago, jarren said:

Taking Barkely at 2 was a bad decision and this is coming from someone who thinks Barkley is the best RB in the league. 

Taking the BPA at any pick is never a bad decision, IMO. But, I see your point. 

23 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Howard, Everett, Kittle were all drafted in 2017. The Giants drafted Evan Engram that year, who has a case of the dropsies, can't stay healthy, and is losing almost all of his playing time to Rhett Ellison and Scott Simonson because he doesn't fit the offense. Thanks Jerry Reese! Gettleman has hit on more 3rd round picks in one year (BJ Hill and Lorenzo Carter) than Reese ever has (Mario Manningham, that's it).

I imagine if Engram were playing for the Rams right now, he'd be putting up monster numbers. McVay reportedly wanted him bad.

Archived