You are John Dorsey. Assess Damarious Randall's Fair Contract Offer

NudeTayne

Damarious Randall's Extension  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you assessing the contract value?

• Let's but get ahead of ourselveves. PFF has him ranked #29 safety. I would only offer a low end starter pay: 4/$32
    • I need one more year to see: franchise
    • Randall has earned getting paid: 4/$40
    • In his prime, locker room leader, dynamic with Ward at corner: 5/$55
    • Top-5 $$$. It's okay to pay top dollar. It's a message to the players to show they reward a great player who is loyal. We have a franchise FS and gotta pay.

You are Bun and you are tasked with re-signing or not re-signing Damarious Randall. Naturally, you read over the Browns forum for inspiration when making important player decisions. You've noted that the majority are in favor of bringing Randall back. You consider what would be a reasonable contract offer that would satisfy both the player and organization  

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Pros

Ball skills 

Range

Sees the field

Game breaking plays

Game awarenss

Cons

More loud than a leader

Injured all season, will he play when paid

Not a great tackler

Shies away from contact. 

Conclusion 

Top 5 safety money with get outs. 

I like your pros, cons are alright

more loud than leader? We really have no idea what kind of a leader is but he has been leading by example. He doesn’t take no shtt from anyone and his play has backed it up. I don’t care what PFF grades him at because Williams uses his FS differently than what is normal. What the video of him being mic’d Up. The dude is a dawg and is exactly what we need. 

Not a great tackler but he is a FS. If we are expecting him to make the tackle on a run play where the RB just abused the DL and Lb, he is the least of our concerns. Tackling ability isn’t make it or break it for a FS for me. 

Injuried all season but has played through it. Only game he missed was because Gregg held him out cuase he wanted him to get healthy 

to me, lock him up. For being his first year as a FS in the NFL he has done very well. I think he will only get better

Where’s the crappy tackling thing coming from?  I’ll be honest, I think he’s a damned decent tackler for a FS, especially in space.

Dude makes some nice, double leg takedown style tackles.  Doesn’t dive at feet or just throw a shoulder.

There’s always this from early in the season.

Small sample size and early in the year, sure, but it’s a direct contradiction to the idea he can’t/doesn't tackle.

Randall is overrated as a center fielder IMO but that is only because of crazy fandom. He is still plenty good enough to get the job done, but more important than anything he does on the field or any abilities and skill sets he brings to the field is the attitude he has brought to the defense and this team. Attitude is one of the single most underrated attributes critical to success in football at any level especially football. Without emotion and attitude you end up with teams being okay with punters getting drop kicked in the face, cheap shots on safeties and late hits on QBs. 

Dude brings and attitude that we need. I don't know if we sign him this offseason because we have Joe Schobert to get to and I'm sure 1 or 2 FA signings but by next offseason we should get him a nice pay day. Judging by the link @LETSGOBROWNIES put up I would say he should get 10+ mill a year. He is better than a few of the guys in the Top 10 right now and Earl Thomas's 10 mil is old money when the salary cap was significantly lower and I imagine Thomas gets more than 10+ this offseason on a shorter deal.

7 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

I would cape for that man though.

5yr/$45M seems about right.

5/51 at minimum to be honest.

The salary cap jumps again this offseason and he is only 26 years old with the ability to play FS and CB and could even play some SS closer to the line as his career winds down IMO due to his tackling ability. Counting the playoffs he is averaging 4 INTs a year which is all the more impressive IMO because he has never had a huge 9, 10, 11 Type INT season to boost his average. He is creating turnovers at a nice pace steadily every single year year in and year out.

Archived