Selection Sunday Thread

naptownskinsfan

Thrilled with the Fiesta Bowl matchup.

I in no way wanted Michigan. Because the feel around is LSU is going to no-show like it has recent bowls. Greedys not playing, seems like White wont. UCF seems the perfect opponent much like Louisville was a couple years back.

Teams playing close to home in bowl season include:

South Florida (playing in their own stadium for a bowl for the first time)
Houston
Troy
Hawaii
South Carolina

Bowl rematches include Liberty (rematch of 2014 Cotton), Military (rematch of 2014 edition), Pinstripe (rematch of last year's Orange), First Responder (rematch of 2005 Humanitarian) and Cure (rematch of 2013 New Orleans).

Former conference rivalries will be renewed at the New Mexico, Hawaii, Camping World, Belk, Arizona, and Liberty Bowls.

Military Bowl has Cincinnati against Virginia Tech, which should be a conference game as I want Cincinnati in the ACC.

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Should have switched Washington and Georgia.

Unless they have contractual obligations to play certain conferences if they don't host a playoff game.  I know for smaller bowls, like the Military Bowl (which is AAC vs ACC) that's the case, not sure for the NY6 though. 

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Unless they have contractual obligations to play certain conferences if they don't host a playoff game.  I know for smaller bowls, like the Military Bowl (which is AAC vs ACC) that's the case, not sure for the NY6 though. 

The Rose Bowl is typically Big Ten vs Pac 12. Both conference champions were in the top 10 so it makes sense. 

8 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I have no problem with the final 4. Just the justification by the committee. They talk about the tiebreaker criteria and 3-6 are all pretty much the exact opposite of what Hocutt is saying in all of those areas. He then mentions Notre Dame was 3 because they were impressed with their strong wins over UM (7) and Northwestern (10) when OSU won by 23 and 21 against both along with PSU on the road. Again, I would have been fine with either OU or OSU but the logic and justification just never makes any sense whatsoever. And they saw separation between OU and OSU to the point UGA was between them? If they were going that route then UGA is definitely ahead of OU. 

I don't see anything wrong with the justification.  Alabama and Clemson were clearly going to be ranked first and second respectively.  And Notre Dame would be 3rd almost by default by virtue of going undefeated.  But unlike UCF, they actually played a halfway decent schedule.  That's why Notre Dame is looking at a playoff spot, and UCF isn't.  As for the Oklahoma/Georgia/Ohio State debate, there's no clear answer here.  But the entire body of work definitely points to Oklahoma or Georgia.  Outside of the Michigan game, has Ohio State really been overly impressive?  Oklahoma had the opportunity to avenge their loss to Texas, which helps mitigate their loss to them early in the season.  And even when they did lose to Texas, it was by 3.  When Ohio State lost to Purdue, it was by 29.  That's an unforgivable loss.  Oklahoma has shown a championship-caliber offense all year long even if their defense is as porous as a sponge.  In a H2H comparison between Oklahoma and Georgia, the fact that Oklahoma was a conference champ and Georgia wasn't has to weigh significantly.  At that point, you're splitting hairs over Georgia and Ohio State.  And quite frankly it doesn't matter.

Archived