BDL 2018 Week 13 - Ivory Coast Black Rhinos @ Wichita Woodpeckers

ny92mike

Ivory Coast Black Rhinos @ Wichita Woodpeckers  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Ivory Coast Black Rhinos
    • Wichita Woodpeckers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/05/2018 at 05:00 PM

BDL 2018 Week 13

Match:  Ivory Coast Black Rhinos @ Wichita Woodpeckers

Away Owner: @RuskieTitan

Home Owner:  @PR

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Ivory Coast Black Rhinos

Ivory Coast Black Rhinos Lineup:

QB- Andrew Luck
RB- Nick Chubb
TE- Vernon Davis
WR- Alshon Jeffery
WR- Brandin Cooks
WR- Curtis Samuel
LT- Trent Williams
LG- Eric Kush
C- Jason Kelce
RG- Zack Martin
RT- Rick Wagner

--------------------------------------------------

RB- Jalen Richard
FB- Anthony Sherman
TE- Luke Stocker
WR- Jarius Wright
WR- Robby Anderson
WR- J.J. Nelson
OL- Dion Dawkins
OL- Jake Fisher

OLB- Khalil Mack
DE- Da'Ron Payne
NT- Larry Ogunjobi
DE- Maurice Hurst
OLB- Myles Garrett
ILB- Wesley Woodyard
ILB- Jerome Baker
CB- Tre'Davious White
CB- Adoree' Jackson
SS- Tony Jefferson
FS- Devin McCourty

OLB- Terrell Suggs
DT- Robert Nkemdiche
DT- Maliek Collins
NT- Dontari Poe
CB- Malcolm Butler
CB- Camerson Sutton
CB- Brandon Williams
S- Eric Reid

Wichita Woodpeckers

QB - Jared Goff
RB - Adrian Peterson
WR - Taylor Gabriel
WR - Larry Fitzgerald
TE - Greg Olsen
TE - Kyle Rudolph
LT - Duane Brown
LG - Kelechi Osemele
C - Graham Glasglow
RG - Quentin Nelson
RT - Jack Conklin

QB - Teddy Bridgewater
RB - Ito Smith
RB - Cameron Artis Payne
WR - Michael Crabtree
WR - Jordy Nelson
TE - Cameron Brate
OG - Brett Jones
OT - Julien Davenport

DE - Brandon Graham
DT - Jonathan Allen
DT - A-Shawn Robinson
DE - Olivier Vernon
LB - Luke Kuechly
LB - Haason Reddick
CB - Aqib Talib
FS - Harrison Smith
SS - Jabrill Peppers
NCB - Dre Kirkpatrick
NCB - Eli Apple

DE - Adrian Clayborn
DE - Alex Okafor
DT - Kyle Williams
LB - Raekwon McMillan
CB - Tre Flowers
CB - Brian Poole
CB - Sam Shields
S - Jaquiski Tartt

Ivory Coast Black Rhinos

Ivory Coast Black Rhinos Gameplan:

Offense
Primary Formation: 3 Wide "11" Personnel
- We are going to come out with 3 receiver set plus a tight end, our goal will be to spread the field, limit how many defenders are in the box for Chubb to run out of a single back set, and allow Luck to pick and choose his matchups. Brandin Cooks will spend the majority of the game operating out of the slot, and Vernon Davis will be be utilized both on the end of the line as well as motioned out wide to spread the defense further. We'll still bring in Anthony Sherman for short yardage situations, taking out the third receiver (outside of Cooks/Jeffery).

Running Game Focus- Chubb will be operating out of a single back set for the most part, to keep the defense guessing whether we'll be running or passing. We'll bring in Anthony Sherman when we are looking for short yardage, subbing out a receiver for the additional blocker (and will also be utilized as a set-up for playaction shots). We will want to emphasis running at their edges, using stretch and pull plays to get Chubb out into space. We want to get Chubb at least 20 carries in the game, he'll be the primary back on the field. We'll also sprinkle some shotgun sets throughout the game, and Chubb will see a draw or two to keep the defense honest.

Passing Game Focus- We're going to focus on attacking the seams of the defense, and sending receivers to attack every level of the defense. We feel that Cooks and Jeffery hold an advantage over the Wichita corners, and we plan on letting Luck diagnose the defense and make the right read on who to target each play. We'll feature some quick hitting slants and receiver screens, but overall this game we feel confident our receivers have the speed and ability to get open, so we'll be targetting a lot more passes in the intermediate-deep range (10-15 yards) on those routes, as we have confidence our offense line will be able to hold up and give Luck time to find his man. Chubb will spend time blocking and serving as an additional receiver out of the backfield; if on blocking downs there is no immediate pressure he'll give Luck a checkdown option. Vernon Davis will spend time lined up at the end of the line as well as moved out wide, to take a linebacker / safety out wide with him. If Luck feels he's got a mismatch he can take a shot deep to him, just as he'd do with any of our receivers.

X-Factor on Offense: Nick Chubb in the Passing Game - We're going to target Nick Chubb a handful of times in the screen game, and leak him out of the backfield with the receivers taking the coverage away. Luck will also look to hit him on a few wheel routes and Chubb will also serve as a checkdown option for Luck to pick up yardage underneath. We anticipate between his carries and catches Chubb should finish with 30+ touch opportunities.

Defense
Defensive Formation: 3-4 Defense
- For our base set we'll come out in a 3-4 look, using Khalil Mack and Myles Garrett as the outside linebackers up on the line. Payne, Ogunjobi, and Hurst get the start inside, and Wesley Woodyard with Jerome Baker will roam behind them. In the secondary we will use Tre'Davious White and Adoree' Jackson as the starting corners, with Malcolm Butler coming on for nickel situations (taking out Hurst and keeping Mack+Garrett on the line for a 4-2-5 look). We will match up corner on wide receiver based on how Wichita comes out.

Secondary Coverage: Cover-1 Man- We are going to have our cornerbacks play closer to the line and primarily operate out of man coverage. We feel that our corners match up favorably with their receivers, and Devin McCourty serving as help over the top should be adequate to prevent anything deep. We'll be able to play Tony Jefferson closer to the line of scrimmage, which will help against any run plays (as we're sure Wichita will likely want to attack us with the run game), and have the Greg Olsen responsibilities. We will have Adoree' Jackson shift into the slot when we come out in nickel, and if we see that Wichita is featuring one receiver heavily, we will use Tre'Davious White to start shadowing them.

Defensive Box- Jerome Baker will mirror the primary running back out of the backfield, and Wesley Woodyard will sit in a zone in the middle, helping bump Olsen off the line and clog up passing lanes in the middle of the field and reading any potential screens, draws, or other developing plays. If he spots the other back coming out of the backfield, he'll be responsible taking him. In our base defense, the Nose Tacke will 2-gap while the DEs (Payne and Hurst) will be responsible for 1-gapping and generating pressure up the middle into Goff's face. Both Garrett and Mack will be coming off the edges almost every play, they should help collapse the pocket and not give Goff any room to escape from the pocket. With 5 defenders up on the line, we believe that Wichita will struggle running the ball, especially if they only use 2 receivers and Jefferson is dropped into the box as well. 

X-Factor on Defense: Interior Pressure- We will rotate the defensive interior players regularly, as we want to generate sustained pressure right up the middle into Goff's face, as well as stuffing any attempts up the middle. If we can force their backs to the outside, we feel our defense will be able to swarm to the ballcarrier. We will allow our defensive ends to have 1-gap responsibilities to penetrate on most plays and disrupt the pass or run. When we switch to a 4-2-5 for nickel, we'll still use 1-gap responsibilities inside (biggest difference would be Ogunjobi going from 2-gap to 1-gap). 

Summary:
Offensively, we spread the ball with 3 receivers and a TE, letting Andrew Luck pick the matchup he likes and rely on Nick Chubb to pick up underneath yardage while focusing on the intermediate passing game and attacking seams. Nick Chubb will feature heavily, and should face a less stacked box with us going wide; if not Luck will tear the defense apart. Sherman will still come in on short yardage to help run as well as block for play action.

Defensively, we come out in a 3-4 that relies on the outside linebackers and defensive ends to penetrate on runs and passes, disrupting the Wichita offense as much as possible. We will rely on man coverage with one safety over the top, and provide more focus on Greg Olsen, with Tony Jefferson playing closer down in the box. 

Wichita Woodpeckers

Offense:
Ivory Coast utilizes a zone defense the majority of the time. Which means that the defense is very susceptible to the RPO as it causes the defense confusion at the snap with the look of the oline. We will look to keep it nice and balanced.

We will be looking to take advantage of a couple of key areas:

1. IC has only two LBers on their active depth chart each Sunday and only 3 safeties. We will deploy a 2TE offense this week to take advantage as it will force ICs typical 4-2-5 defense to either deploy all of their safeties and LBers on the field at once to be able to handle Olsen, Rudolph and Peterson in the passing game OR put a thin framed CB on one which would give a size advantage to the offense and make them more difficult to bring down. We will also be continuing our trend to keep to one formation in an up tempo offense to make ICs defense run on fumes for an entire drive.

2. With ICs tendency of playing zone they also like to run cover 2 and Cover 3 to keep the deep ball in check. Both looks keep the WRs one on one in the zone with room to run, especially cover 3 when the CBs play deep. This allows Fitzgerald and Gabriel room to operate with the quick pass and gain YAC. If IC runs their lesser used man coverage where they play tight, we will incorporate some end around with Gabriel to run his coverage assignment ragged in the secondary.

3. By having 2TEs we have additional blockers for the running game and passing game. With the uptempo we will look to wear out the line and backers with our power back Peterson. Ito will spell on alternating drives and provides another plus receiver onto the field. The 2 TEs will also help with chips against Garrett and Mack as we expect a heavy pass rush which will make IC susceptible to the release on the TE.

Defense:
This week we welcome back another starter to our defense (Aqib Talib) as we defend against IC.

There is some chinks in ICs armor that I don't believe get referenced enough.

1. Eric Kush was benched by the Bears three weeks ago due to his abysmal play.
2. Rick Wagner cannot handle elite pass rushers. Against Hunter of the Vikings he gave up 3.5 sacks. He also faltered against Kalil Mack.

Thus this week we will continue to run our four pass rushing lineman out there to whip the oline in the passing game. Brandon Graham will look to beat Wagner at the edge to get to Luck early and often. Allen and Robinson man the middle with Robinson over Kush to collapse the pocket and force Luck on the run. Vernon gets to test the oft-injured William's who hasn't made it through a complete game since his surgery due to injuries. We will also be deploy some over load blitzes from the nickel, LB core and safety to put additional heat on Luck.

We will be playing man this week. Look for a jam to Cooks side to throw deep ball timing off. This week Aqib Talib and Cooks will face off with Peppers help over top. Apple will stay with Jeffrey and Kirkpatrick will have Samuels. On the overload blitz Smith will be the coverage for the blitzer. He will be playing at LBer level to help disguise the blitzer each play. When the TE is off the field Kuechly will spy the QB (as Sherman has caught 6 passes all year...) in the middle of the field to help against crossovers. Reddick will get Chubb. When a TE is in the field look CB fir Kuechly to cover the TE. In two TE looks the slot will come off for McMillan to cover the TE.

As we have shifted Smith forward it adds a 7th helmet in the front to battle the running game of Chubb. They like to add the FB for an extra blocker so hopefully with our sideline to sideline speed we can take Chubb down relatively quickly.

I think IC is able to win this one here, their CBs should be able to handle Gabriel+Fitz pretty easily and Goff doesn't really have any weapons outside of Rudolph. Olsen didn't play in this game IMO since he re-injured his foot and basically does nothing, IC wins in the trenches and on the offensive side here.

I think both teams spent some time on their game plans this week, making it difficult in that regard.  
The Woodpeckers bring up some valid arguments about IC’s offensive line particularly Kush, but the Wagner comment not being able to handle elite pass rushers could be said about any tackle.  Brandon Graham and Vernon however aren’t elite pass rushers.  After further reading, it sounds like Dawkins is playing LG, so I do think WW can at times disrupt the pocket but I don’t see it being a game changer.

IC’s receivers match up well against WW’s secondary and I feel that they’ll have success.  Eli Apple just isn’t any good.  

I’m also having a hard time overlooking Greg Olsen’s pedestrian 291 season.  Definitely not the 1000+ we’re used to seeing out of him.

I think the cover 1 is a good choice against the Woodpeckers, and the 3-4 naturally funnels running backs to the middle of the field where I think there would be a really good battle in the trenches. I think the lack of depth at LB could come into effect in a game like this, but the IC offense will make enough plays that Wichita won't be able to just pound the ball all day, they'll have to do some throwing and IC can contain them well enough. 

2 minutes ago, TedLavie said:
22 hours ago, Whicker said:

Eric Kush didn't play any snaps this week. Jake

19 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Dion Dawkins steps in between Trent Williams and Jason Kelce.

Eric Kush was active though. So he's the starter.

That's cool. I understand he's obviously the weakest link on my line. But when you play between two All Pros, it can help mask some of that.

Close defensive game, but I think IC has more quality. The fact that Talib is shadowing Cooks in the slot while playing IRL half the snaps of his team didn't help. I also took into account that Greg olsen re-injured his foot, but I don't think Goff finds much open receivers, and the heavy looks IC gives on defense will help vs AP. I would have loved AP in the 4th as IC defense may run out of gas, but I think they have to play catch up then so not sure how involved he's. IC 20-13

I really wanted to go w Wichita bc homefield.

Offensively I think IC is in trouble. Wichita’s front seven is a strength and I like the idea of blitzing. However, Cooks isnt slowed down by Aqib the way Jeffery would be. Luck will eventually do something though it didn’t happen IRL.

I think Goff has elevated into one of the top QBs in the league this year. Hard for me to support a 32 man offense led by Gabriel much less a 16 team. IC made a great adjustment planning to stop this offense with man. Wichita has a top tier OL, but Mack/Garrett are a different type of match.

Defensive themed games so far and it’s the same here. I like IC’s gameplan and they’ve got enough difference makers to offset the positives Wichita has going for them. Late FG pushes the road team though.

Archived