16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

I've already said I'm not giving a pass to Philbin -- However, people are whispering that Mike was not allowing Philbin to be involved in the game plan this year and that he was practically doing everything himself. There's a difference between having a head coach who wants to take on too much and having a Head coach that lets you be an offensive coordinator. If that is TRUE then I can see why people would argue for Philbin but against Defilippo 

I think this is a very fair statement.  We just don't know how much Philbin was allowed to be involved.  Well stated in my book.

26 minutes ago, SSG said:

Why are we comparing Indy and Minnesota?  What's Reich's success have to do with DeFilippo's?  I understand people are reaching for reasons to hate the guy but Frank Reich has nothing to do with DeFilippo.  It's possible for the Eagles to miss BOTH.  DeFilippo is the only QB coach Carson Wentz has ever and it's pretty damn clear that he's regressed substantially since his departure. 

I mean we can compare team but it starts and stops at the QB position.  One of those teams has a generational talent in Andrew Luck.  The other one has Kurt Cousins who's a mediocre NFL QB. 

He's also coming off an ACL tear and there has been some pretty significant injuries for Philly.

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

So for the pro Philbin folks out there, what from his head coach history makers you optimistic for success here?

I'm not sure yet if I'm pro-Philbin, but I'll take a crack at your question, because to me, he's an intriguing candidate for the following reasons:

• He understands the Packers culture - both past and present - and probably as much as anyone, knows exactly what needs to change.  Whether or not he can be the man to make that change is the question
  • He has a strong rapport with Rodgers.  Like him or not, Rodgers is here, probably until he retires.  I don't know enough about any of the candidates with respect to their ability to click with Rodgers - that is a known with Philbin
  • Specific to your question about "Head Coach History" - that's a tough one, because he didn't have much success in Miami, and I can't tell you why.  It could be that it was his first gig as head coach, and many very successful coaches in today's game failed on their first try.  It could also be that Miami's culture is just so different from GB's and he didn't know how to adjust.
  • From reports I've read over the past several days, it appears as though his role as OC for GB this year was somewhat of a non-traditional model - that Mac was very exclusive in his decision making when it came down to the wire.  We don't know to what extent Philbin pushed back, but I can honestly say that Murphy and Gute would not have named him IC if they thought he was just a yes-man to Mac, or that he didn't have any redeemable qualities for the job.  Fact it, Murphy has come out strongly in support of Philbin. 

I'm cautiously optimistic about Philbin as a candidate, because one part of me wants to part ways with the old regime and scheme altogether.  The other part of me thinks Philbin - by all accounts is a smart coach - could rewrite the playbook with Rodgers, and come up with an offense that fits the personnel and Rodgers.  Considering Rodgers remaining years are short, and the fact there's no sure-bet candidate that we know will definitely work well with Rodgers, Philbin is certainly a viable candidate.

14 minutes ago, hsfolk said:

Joe Lombardi (Vince's grandson) is the Saints QB coach

Love the last name, concerned about his time in Detroit.  His offense's were terrible in the only chance he's ever been given to run one. 

Just now, incognito_man said:

and has been forever (or did he go to detroit?). Must be a reason he's not getting promoted...

Went to Detroit and was canned midway through his second year.  His offense's were terrible and improved immediately upon his departure (QB Coach Jim Bob Cooter replaced him).

6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I'm not sure yet if I'm pro-Philbin, but I'll take a crack at your question, because to me, he's an intriguing candidate for the following reasons:

• He understands the Packers culture - both past and present - and probably as much as anyone, knows exactly what needs to change.  Whether or not he can be the man to make that change is the question
  • He has a strong rapport with Rodgers.  Like him or not, Rodgers is here, probably until he retires.  I don't know enough about any of the candidates with respect to their ability to click with Rodgers - that is a known with Philbin
  • Specific to your question about "Head Coach History" - that's a tough one, because he didn't have much success in Miami, and I can't tell you why.  It could be that it was his first gig as head coach, and many very successful coaches in today's game failed on their first try.  It could also be that Miami's culture is just so different from GB's and he didn't know how to adjust.
  • From reports I've read over the past several days, it appears as though his role as OC for GB this year was somewhat of a non-traditional model - that Mac was very exclusive in his decision making when it came down to the wire.  We don't know to what extent Philbin pushed back, but I can honestly say that Murphy and Gute would not have named him IC if they thought he was just a yes-man to Mac, or that he didn't have any redeemable qualities for the job.  Fact it, Murphy has come out strongly in support of Philbin. 

I'm cautiously optimistic about Philbin as a candidate, because one part of me wants to part ways with the old regime and scheme altogether.  The other part of me thinks Philbin - by all accounts is a smart coach - could rewrite the playbook with Rodgers, and come up with an offense that fits the personnel and Rodgers.  Considering Rodgers remaining years are short, and the fact there's no sure-bet candidate that we know will definitely work well with Rodgers, Philbin is certainly a viable candidate.

Would feel like a Ray Rhodes type of mistake.

35 minutes ago, SSG said:

Why are we comparing Indy and Minnesota?  What's Reich's success have to do with DeFilippo's?  I understand people are reaching for reasons to hate the guy but Frank Reich has nothing to do with DeFilippo.  It's possible for the Eagles to miss BOTH.  DeFilippo is the only QB coach Carson Wentz has ever and it's pretty damn clear that he's regressed substantially since his departure. 

I mean we can compare team but it starts and stops at the QB position.  One of those teams has a generational talent in Andrew Luck.  The other one has Kurt Cousins who's a mediocre NFL QB. 

It absolutely makes sense to compare them though. Who is getting more out of their players?

With that question answered, we can then ask: who, then, might have been more responsible for the success in Philly?

Looks like the Colts got the right guy to me...

I'm a bit bored so I decided to watch some videos of our coaching candidates to see how well they come across as a person, whether its presence, credibility, knowledge, confidence, genuineness, body language etc.. and yes I am in no way an expert. xD

The new head coach needs to be someone that commands respect, behave and speaks credibly and that he wont be bullied by players and coaches whether its verbally or physically. There needs to be some level of alpha maleness but not too much. Someone who is focused, driven, with a quiet underlying aggression. He must not just be a cheerleader, he must show leadership, thoughtfulness and intelligence. That kind of personality is needed to manage a roster of 53 players, dealing with the coaching staff and front office on a day to day basis.  Sometimes you can catch some of those traits in media interviews, locker room videos and coaching videos. Below is my totally non-scientific attempt at making a list.

Like:

Dave Toub, Chris Petersen, Lincoln Riley, Dino Babers, Pat Fitzgerald, John Harbaugh, Jim Schwartz, David Shaw

In between - Matt Campbell, Jim Harbaugh, Todd Monken

Meh:

Bieniemy, John DeFilippo , Marquand Manuel, Vic Fangio, Joe Woods

Hell No:

Dan Campbell, Matt LaFleur (lol just look at him), Pete Carmichael, Josh McDaniels, Randy Fichtner, Mark Helfrich, Aaron Kromer, Mike Leach, Dan Mullen, Gary Patterson, Matt Rhule, Don Martindale

1 minute ago, Chili said:

I'm a bit bored so I decided to watch some videos of our coaching candidates to see how well they come across as a person, whether its presence, credibility, knowledge, confidence, genuineness, body language etc.. and yes I am no way an expert. xD

The new head coach needs to be someone that commands respect, behave and speaks credibly and that he wont be bullied by players and coaches whether its verbally or physically. There needs to be some level of alpha maleness but not too much. Someone who is focused, driven, with a quiet underlying aggression. He must not just be a cheerleader, he must show some thoughtfulness and intelligence. That kind of personality is needed to manage a roster of 53 players, dealing with the coaching staff and front office on a day to day basis.  Sometimes you can catch some of those traits in media interviews, locker room videos and coaching videos. Below is my totally non-scientific attempt at making a list.

Like:

Dave Toub, Chris Petersen, Jim Harbaugh, Lincoln Riley, Dino Babers, Pat Fitzgerald

In between - Matt Campbell 

Meh:

Bieniemy, John DeFilippo , Marquand Manuel, Vic Fangio, Joe Woods

Hell No:

Dan Campbell, Matt LaFleur (lol just look at him), Pete Carmichael, Josh McDaniels, Randy Fichtner, Mark Helfrich, Aaron Kromer, Mike Leach, Dan Mullen, Gary Patterson, Matt Rhule, Don Martindale

Okay. Thats good. Now if you would, please clafiry your thoughts based on your criteria: "how well they come across as a person, whether its presence, credibility, knowledge, confidence, genuineness, body language etc....."

Ha! Never mind. I'm just joking around.

Ya know? Theres a certain benefit to not following college football....its players.....and by extension its coaches.
I'm just riding and reading along on all the chatter.....without any "decision making" pressure. Phew. Thats a load off my mind! :) 

Archived