16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

10 minutes ago, SSG said:

And Green Bay's was?  Why is Deflippo getting trashed for a mediocre Vikings offense while Philbin is getting a free pass for a terrible Packers offense?

Philbin has no power. Media talking to players have said as much. In his first go around with GB he was able to reach McCarthy. The narrative this go around is that he was just a seat filler... McCarthy would create the game plan with little to no input. One player said “McCarthy was play calling to get fired.” When Wilde was like no he wasn’t the player said “ok, but his play calls looked like someone trying to get fired.”

There is a sense that the players want to ball out of Joe. So the next four weeks will be interesting to say the least. Because if they do ball... it’s damning for McCarthy and everyone because everyone was so pigheaded that they threw away a season over egos.

31 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I would whether have Philbin over DeFlippo, Vikings offense hasn't been that good.

I'd attribute that more to the QB. Cousins is wildly inconsistent and when he's rattled, he's an incredible liability. Carson Wentz has seriously regressed since DeFilippo left btw...

I'd love to see another Lombardi in Green Bay and I'm not just talking about another Superb Owl.

I think Pat Fitzgerald is a good match for the Packers and also for the midwestern culture of Green Bay. He’s got that old-school, football coach approach to the game, but he’s young and progressive-minded. I don’t think Rodger’s “respect” would be an issue whatsoever.

Fitzgerald’s Northwestern squads always play solid fundamental football and are obviously disciplined and well--coached. He’s managed to build a successful program at Northwestern, while having to settle for players who are unwanted or overlooked by the ‘big dogs’ in the Big 10. I believe he’d instill that persona and restore success to the Packers in relatively short order.

Finally, Pat Fitzgerald is a midwestern guy. Illinois, Northwestern...and yes, the Bears loyalty notwithstanding, he understands what it means to coach the Green Bay Packers, and the legacy that entails.

So I agree with La Canfora. I think the Packers ought to and will contact, Fitzgerald, and at the least find out what he’s thinking about this opportunity to jump into the NFL as the new Packer coach. Murphy and Gutekunst are remiss if the don't.

It is laughable to think that Fitzgerald would leave his dream job, where he's succeeding and being supported, to jump to the NFL with a rival.  I'd be more inclined to think that he's privately giddy over the dysfunction in GB right now as things are going so good in Chicago...for him and the Bears.

27 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It is laughable to think that Fitzgerald would leave his dream job, where he's succeeding and being supported, to jump to the NFL with a rival.  I'd be more inclined to think that he's privately giddy over the dysfunction in GB right now as things are going so good in Chicago...for him and the Bears.

You may be right, and I don’t necessarily disagree with your opinion.

However, what I stated is “Murphy and Gutekunst would be remiss” if they don’t contact him. There’s absolutely no downside to reaching out to Coach Fitzgerald.

I DO think his coaching style, midwestern cultural roots, and respect for the history between the Packers and the Bears,  are a good match for what the Packers need. 

And that’s my opinion vegas, laughable as you may find it...Life is full of ironies great and small, and it’s not inconceivable (and I know what the word means), that he might be interested in coaching in Green Bay.

In any case, it’s all late season banter! 

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Depends on the dudes makeup. If he is a competitive guy he might find the challenge interesting. Diva HoF QB, super bowl now expectations, etc.

Or he could be... I’m trying to get a National title for Northwestern guy.

Its not laughable, just from the outside looks very unlikely.

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

if he indicated he would leave NW for Chicago he's not in his dream job.

also, dream jobs change when new doors appear open.

5 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Depends on the dudes makeup. If he is a competitive guy he might find the challenge interesting. Diva HoF QB, super bowl now expectations, etc.

Or he could be... I’m trying to get a National title for Northwestern guy.

Its not laughable, just from the outside looks very unlikely.

Fitzgerald hits me as a tradition guy ... he'd be intrigued by the Packers I would think.  He's also pretty low paid at NW.

23 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

You may be right, and I don’t necessarily disagree with your opinion.

However, what I stated is “Murphy and Gutekunst would be remiss” if they don’t contact him. There’s absolutely no downside to reaching out to Coach Fitzgerald.

I DO think his coaching style, midwestern cultural roots, and respect for the history between the Packers and the Bears,  are a good match for what the Packers need. 

And that’s my opinion vegas, laughable as you may find it...Life is full of ironies great and small, and it’s not inconceivable (and I know what the word means), that he might be interested in coaching in Green Bay.

In any case, it’s all late season banter! 

Boy, use the word "laughable" and you get quoted!

I probably used a poor term.  Replace it with the two words "highly unlikely".

More likely that he parlays GB's interest into more money from Northwestern.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

It's more laughable to assume a coach wouldn't progress his head coaching career because of a fandom he had as a child.  Green Bay is not a rival of Northwestern.  That would be like a player refusing to play for the Packers because he was a Bears fan growing up.  

It would be a pretty obvious progression from a place that Fitzgerald has reached his ceiling at.  If the B1G makes the change to the title game that they are currently talking about (putting the best 2 teams in the game) now is the time to go because the chances of him ever playing for another B1G title while at NW is slim to none.

11 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Meh, that’s on Mac.  If things were slipping as bad as that video illustrates, it’s the head coache’s job to tighten up the ship.  

11 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Right, but things were slipping on the offense, where was Philbin through this process as well? If he knew Mike was stepping out to do defensive meetings/installments then why wasn't he covering down. I think it sits on both of their shoulders that's jmo 

From what I have heard on various radio shows by some of the beat writers that cover the team, Philbin really had no power/influence to make changes with the game plan and such.  Feels like he was more of a figure head vs true OC that was involved.

Archived