16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

8 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

The video I saw (was posted in this thread somewhere) suggested that Sean Payton does "Head Coach" things and is often involved in meetings that don't involve Brees / Offense but that's where Carmichael plays a huge role as him and Brees review the game plan and then Brees and Payton sit down before game day to finalize things. They said that wasn't going on in Green Bay, it was a lot of Aaron Rodgers building the offensive game plan on his own Thursdays and Fridays and then Mike just adding new stuff to the gameplan on Saturday without a "touch base" with Aaron at any time and that's why we're seeing the big struggles we saw this year.

That's what I was reading also.  Things just became disjointed in every aspect of the offense.

9 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

That's what I was reading also.  Things just became disjointed in every aspect of the offense.

Yeah and if that's the case that means that Philbin dropped the ball as well this year and not just Mike. The video I saw said that our backup Quarterbacks were literally acting as translators for gameplan flow between Aaron and Mike. That's BADDDDD.

15 hours ago, Green19 said:

I like Simms and Lefkoe’s take on it. The packer discussion starts at around 4:27 and goes for about 15 minutes.

They discuss how the system was fine until it got old and figured out. It’s why GB kept seeing the same defense.

I keep referencing the "video I saw" and this is it -- if you want to hear more about the offense disconnect that was actually going on in Green Bay you can start listening to it at 8m 35s

30 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Yeah and if that's the case that means that Philbin dropped the ball as well this year and not just Mike. The video I saw said that our backup Quarterbacks were literally acting as translators for gameplan flow between Aaron and Mike. That's BADDDDD.

Meh, that’s on Mac.  If things were slipping as bad as that video illustrates, it’s the head coache’s job to tighten up the ship.  

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

Meh, that’s on Mac.  If things were slipping as bad as that video illustrates, it’s the head coache’s job to tighten up the ship.  

Right, but things were slipping on the offense, where was Philbin through this process as well? If he knew Mike was stepping out to do defensive meetings/installments then why wasn't he covering down. I think it sits on both of their shoulders that's jmo 

32 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Right, but things were slipping on the offense, where was Philbin through this process as well? If he knew Mike was stepping out to do defensive meetings/installments then why wasn't he covering down. I think it sits on both of their shoulders that's jmo 

Good question?  I’ve no idea what Philbin’s stance was, or the role he did or didn’t play.  For all we know he may have tried pushing back.  We know Mac can be stubborn.  I think if Philbin was as ineffective as being suggested, he probably would have been asked to pack his bags also.  I have a feeling more will be revealed in the near future.

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Good question?  I’ve no idea what Philbin’s stance was, or the role he did or didn’t play.  For all we know he may have tried pushing back.  We know Mac can be stubborn.  I think if Philbin was as ineffective as being suggested, he probably would have been asked to pack his bags also.  I have a feeling more will be revealed in the near future.

I think this week will tell a lot by the plays he calls and the personnel he uses. If we truly do a 180 on offense it may be that Philbin didnt have much input in the gameplan or calling plays. Though McCarthy  did say he suggested punting on 4th and 2 in the Seattle game.. so who knows

3 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I think this week will tell a lot by the plays he calls and the personnel he uses. If we truly do a 180 on offense it may be that Philbin didnt have much input in the gameplan or calling plays. Though McCarthy  did say he suggested punting on 4th and 2 in the Seattle game.. so who knows

Keep an eye on AR's accuracy.
If it doesnt return, then the (once one of the) most accurate passers in NFL history will have to declare his knee injury is in fact holding him back - the collarbone injury (and surgery) to his off passing shoulder has caused him to (drastically) change his throwing motion (as we've been witnessing all year) - or what his problem is.  It cant be the coach anymore. Oh - and somebody put in an Iphone  call to AVP before game time so AR and he can have a facetime session. Apparently that will have a soothing effect on his game and performance.

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

eh, I never buy this line of thinking.

I'd go work for the Bears in a heartbeat if they valued my services.

Obviously there's a ton of factors in play for a (presumably) highly intelligent guy like him in play. Like "what schools do I want my kids to go to?" or "where do I actually want to live my life?"

I suspect allegiance to a childhood team is very, very low on that priority list.

Sure, but now consider that you are already working your "dream job." 

I don't have any issue with Fitzgerald but he's nothing more than a dark horse, most people would be shocked to see him leave that school.

8 hours ago, cannondale said:

Why would they fire MM and his system only to hire the same thing ?

Same thing? Not exactly. Bringing Zack Taylor over from the Rams and letting him work with an open-minded guy like Philbin would create a whole new offensive system similar to the Rams'. Philbin manages the team (he already has Aaron's respect). Taylor and Pettine manage the offense and defense respectively. It would be the least disruptive and lowest risk rebuild option. McDaniels might be innovative, but his personality is too risky. After McDaniels, there really isn't anybody out there that I can get excited about. Taylor has worked with McVay, but is too inexperienced to take over as head coach. Right now I think he is the Rams QB coach. This would be a way of bringing him in and tapping into his creativity without burdening him with all of the responsibilities of HC. If he proves successful, he takes over when Philbin retires. I've been reading a lot of good things about Taylor, but most of the talking heads agree he's not ready to be a HC.

15 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

My top choice, Bruce Arians, is not interested in coaching in Green Bay ... so, next up as my #1 choice is Jim Harbaugh.  He's a bit goofy, but all the guy does is win.  He's been highly successful in the collegiate ranks, and also the pro ranks.  The guy knows how to build a program.  I have no doubt he will wear out his welcome and drive our players insane, but before that happens he and Rodgers will hoist at least one Lombardi trophy.  

Yes, he can win games but he flames out in the big ones.   MI looked terrible against OSU this year.   

14 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Fun video from Mike Florio and Peter King ... Packers head coaching draft.  Some of the usual suspects brought up, but some surprises as well.  One particularly interesting name that was brought up .. Sean Payton.

I just have this gut feeling none of these guys mentioned in this video will be the next guy.   The only one I liked was Payton and I don't see him leaving NO any time soon.  

Archived