16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

11 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Just read this article from Jason La Canfora on CBS Sports:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/packers-search-for-their-next-head-coach-should-start-with-northwesterns-pat-fitzgerald/amp/

He sure makes one heck of a case for Pat Fitzgerald.  Maybe that's the way Murphy goes if he can pry him away from Northwestern.

This is an interesting candidate.  He has Northwestern playing great and Murphy was the AD there.  This idea has me more excited than some retread like Harbaugh or McDaniels.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

This is an interesting candidate.  He has Northwestern playing great and Murphy was the AD there.  This idea has me more excited than some retread like Harbaugh or McDaniels.

Pat Fitzgerald is a class guy, and would be a good fit for GB.  Most of the experts think his style will play well at the pro level.  The only thing I would question would be who he has in mind for the offensive side at OC .. he's got a defensive background.  Strong candidate though and NFL people seem excited about his prospects.

33 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Pat Fitzgerald is a class guy, and would be a good fit for GB.  Most of the experts think his style will play well at the pro level.  The only thing I would question would be who he has in mind for the offensive side at OC .. he's got a defensive background.  Strong candidate though and NFL people seem excited about his prospects.

I heard on the radio yesterday that someone tweeted at him would he be interested in coaching in GB and he tweeted back go WildCats!!! 

8 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Yeah and if that's the case that means that Philbin dropped the ball as well this year and not just Mike. The video I saw said that our backup Quarterbacks were literally acting as translators for gameplan flow between Aaron and Mike. That's BADDDDD.

What video?

13 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

No doubt, especially given Murphy’s strong ties to Northwestern.  Wouldn’t be shocked.

I just have trouble believing that Rodgers will listen to any college coach with no NFL experience or huge success in the college ranks.  Fitzgerald doesn't fit.  Sure is going to be interesting.

17 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Terrible 2018 season? wtf? They made the right call on Jordy, netted a 2nd 1st for the 2019 draft and still got their guy in Jaire. Wilkerson would have been a great addition had it not been for injuries, he was actually having a pretty good season and Jimmy Graham isn't nearly as bad as what some of you make him out to be. 

We'll have to agree to disagree.  Not sure how anyone can look at the 2017 Packers and say we're going in the right direction in Gute's first year as GM.  There has been a pretty clear regression from the team we seen last year with a healthy AR12 and this year's team.  Not all falls at his feet but some of it sure as heck does.

- Keeping Randall Cobb over Jordy Nelson was a bad decision.  Jordy hasn't been great with a terrible QB but Randall Cobb has bordered on useless.  He had a great week one and since then he might as well have stayed home. 

- Not judging the Wilkerson addition as it's an unknown.  Not going to just assume he was going to be a difference maker for no other reason than he was a Packer.  He had moments as a Packer where he looked like a quality rotation guy and other moments where he looked like the lazy turd the NYJ's couldn't get away from fast enough. 

- Getting Jaire was great, we've got next to nothing out of the rest of the class.  Our second round pick has been especially terrible as there is already talks about having to move him to safety.  Also, ignoring an edge rusher proved to be a terrible mistake. 

- Jimmy Graham is the highest paid TE in NFL history on a per season basis.  In half the games this year he's had 3 or fewer catches.  On what planet is that quality production?   He's being paid like an all pro/ difference maker and he's been anything but.  His mediocre production as a receiver would be one thing if his blocking provided something but he's a guy who needs to be pulled of the field in running situations because of the terrible effort he gives as a blocker.  Having to swap Lewis for Graham in running situations has caused this offense to be extremely predictable. 

- Trading Randall doesn't look great either looking at the waste land we currently have at safety.   Not a great player but substantially better than any safety we've got on the roster.  

I mean there is a chance things change and things turn around (draft picks develop, Jimmy Graham gets better, we get value out of Kizer, ect...) but Gute's first off season doesn't look all that great in year one given the overall regression of the team. 

11 hours ago, cannondale said:

Why would they fire MM and his system only to hire the same thing ?

Is it possible that Philbin wanted to change more of the playbook then MM and now will get his chance?  I really wouldn't like it, but if he updates the system, it's possible.

2 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Same thing? Not exactly. Bringing Zack Taylor over from the Rams and letting him work with an open-minded guy like Philbin would create a whole new offensive system similar to the Rams'. Philbin manages the team (he already has Aaron's respect). Taylor and Pettine manage the offense and defense respectively. It would be the least disruptive and lowest risk rebuild option. McDaniels might be innovative, but his personality is too risky. After McDaniels, there really isn't anybody out there that I can get excited about. Taylor has worked with McVay, but is too inexperienced to take over as head coach. Right now I think he is the Rams QB coach. This would be a way of bringing him in and tapping into his creativity without burdening him with all of the responsibilities of HC. If he proves successful, he takes over when Philbin retires. I've been reading a lot of good things about Taylor, but most of the talking heads agree he's not ready to be a HC.

Philbin is too much of a church mouse for my liking for a HC.  I think Rodgers likes him (his nickname in Miami was "nice guy Joe"), I'm not sure how much he truly respects him.  I don't believe that Philbin is going to be a guy that is going to be able to challenge AR12.  

This team needs more than just a new OC.  There are a lot more issues with this team than just Rodgers IMO.

9 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I would whether have Philbin over DeFlippo, Vikings offense hasn't been that good.

And Green Bay's was?  Why is Deflippo getting trashed for a mediocre Vikings offense while Philbin is getting a free pass for a terrible Packers offense?

Archived