16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

2 hours ago, Green19 said:

Philbin has no power. Media talking to players have said as much. In his first go around with GB he was able to reach McCarthy. The narrative this go around is that he was just a seat filler... McCarthy would create the game plan with little to no input. One player said “McCarthy was play calling to get fired.” When Wilde was like no he wasn’t the player said “ok, but his play calls looked like someone trying to get fired.”

There is a sense that the players want to ball out of Joe. So the next four weeks will be interesting to say the least. Because if they do ball... it’s damning for McCarthy and everyone because everyone was so pigheaded that they threw away a season over egos.

Been hearing the same stuff

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

if he indicated he would leave NW for Chicago he's not in his dream job.

also, dream jobs change when new doors appear open.

There's a decent chance that Bears gig won't open up again for years ... you have to strike when the iron is hot.  If the Packers come calling Fitz would be wise to listen.

3 hours ago, SSG said:

And Green Bay's was?  Why is Deflippo getting trashed for a mediocre Vikings offense while Philbin is getting a free pass for a terrible Packers offense?

Huge difference between Green Bay and Minnesota. Green Bay had an offensive-minded head coach who calls his own plays and Minnesota has a defensive-minded head coach who has an Offensive coordinator who calls their plays. 

10 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Huge difference between Green Bay and Minnesota. Green Bay had an offensive-minded head coach who calls his own plays and Minnesota has a defensive-minded head coach who has an Offensive coordinator who calls their plays. 

An offensive coordinator is an offensive coordinator.  A "huge" difference?  While he doesn't call the plays he's still heavily involved in the struggling offense.  The idea that Philbin is on pay roll as the main offensive assistant and has nothing to do with the offense is crazy.  This is a guy who once got a HC job for doing EXACTLY the same job.  

I'm not as familiar with Fitz's background. What is it about him that's appealing because I'm not really seeing it? I know he's a former LB so his knowledge probably leans to the defensive side of the ball. Is he more of a younger John Harbaugh type? 

31 minutes ago, SSG said:

An offensive coordinator is an offensive coordinator.  A "huge" difference?  While he doesn't call the plays he's still heavily involved in the struggling offense.  The idea that Philbin is on pay roll as the main offensive assistant and has nothing to do with the offense is crazy.  This is a guy who once got a HC job for doing EXACTLY the same job.  

I've already said I'm not giving a pass to Philbin -- However, people are whispering that Mike was not allowing Philbin to be involved in the game plan this year and that he was practically doing everything himself. There's a difference between having a head coach who wants to take on too much and having a Head coach that lets you be an offensive coordinator. If that is TRUE then I can see why people would argue for Philbin but against Defilippo 

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'm not as familiar with Fitz's background. What is it about him that's appealing because I'm not really seeing it? I know he's a former LB so his knowledge probably leans to the defensive side of the ball. Is he more of a younger John Harbaugh type? 

Just from what I heard yesterday he sounds pretty appealing. I know the radio guys were bringing up examples of execs calling him a 'stud' and their 'first choice' but there wasn't a lot of elaboration.

Being a NW-raised guy you'd have to guess he's highly intelligent. His teams also appear to be disciplined and he has a trend of playing very well against better talent in the big ten (i.e. he seems to commonly have his guys 'up' for games against ranked opponents. either beating them or significantly outplaying expectations.)

3 hours ago, Joe said:

I'd attribute that more to the QB. Cousins is wildly inconsistent and when he's rattled, he's an incredible liability. Carson Wentz has seriously regressed since DeFilippo left btw...

I'd love to see another Lombardi in Green Bay and I'm not just talking about another Superb Owl.

Some say it was Reich that is missed the most in Philly.  Compare teams, which team is playing better, the Viking or the Colts?  Or, should I say who isn't playing as predicted?

I don't want or think this will happen, but is everyone overlooking Philbin's chances at winning the job if things go well?

- He has a chance to tangibly prove he can lead the Packers to wins. No one else gets that opportunity.

- Familiarity with GB/Packers Murphy and Gutey.

- Rodgers loves him and by all account so does the rest of the team

-Murphy has repeatedly said he's a very legitimate candidate and this 4 games stretch is essentially an interview.

- Not a big ego, which Murphy said he's after

- Almost every recent coach hired as HC had a history in GB

Cons

- He's kind of an extension of MM. Not much of a change ( however that could be pawsitive because Murphy did even say he wanted someone like MM to be the HC)

- was part of the offensive problem up until now.

25 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don't want or think this will happen, but is everyone overlooking Philbin's chances at winning the job if things go well?

- He has a chance to tangibly prove he can lead the Packers to wins. No one else gets that opportunity.

- Familiarity with GB/Packers Murphy and Gutey.

- Rodgers loves him and by all account so does the rest of the team

-Murphy has repeatedly said he's a very legitimate candidate and this 4 games stretch is essentially an interview.

- Not a big ego, which Murphy said he's after

- Almost every recent coach hired as HC had a history in GB

Cons

- He's kind of an extension of MM. Not much of a change ( however that could be pawsitive because Murphy did even say he wanted someone like MM to be the HC)

- was part of the offensive problem up until now.

I nominate you to provide us cliffnotes of his time in Miami too ;)

I dont expect much of an effort in these last few games. Or one on a diminishing scale is perhaps the better way to view it.
Starters are being taken off the field with a view towards 2019. I suspect that...philosophy wont be lost on those still playing the game.

44 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Some say it was Reich that is missed the most in Philly.  Compare teams, which team is playing better, the Viking or the Colts?  Or, should I say who isn't playing as predicted?

Why are we comparing Indy and Minnesota?  What's Reich's success have to do with DeFilippo's?  I understand people are reaching for reasons to hate the guy but Frank Reich has nothing to do with DeFilippo.  It's possible for the Eagles to miss BOTH.  DeFilippo is the only QB coach Carson Wentz has ever and it's pretty damn clear that he's regressed substantially since his departure. 

I mean we can compare team but it starts and stops at the QB position.  One of those teams has a generational talent in Andrew Luck.  The other one has Kurt Cousins who's a mediocre NFL QB. 

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I nominate you to provide us cliffnotes of his time in Miami too ;)

Where "Nice Guy Joe" couldn't keep control of his locker room because no one respected him.  He was a field mouse instead of the Lion that was needed.  Motivational speeches written on cue cards aren't very motivating. 

They need a new voice not a guy with no voice. 

2 minutes ago, SSG said:

Why are we comparing Indy and Minnesota?  What's Reich's success have to do with DeFilippo's?  I understand people are reaching for reasons to hate the guy but Frank Reich has nothing to do with DeFilippo.  It's possible for the Eagles to miss BOTH.  DeFilippo is the only QB coach Carson Wentz has ever and it's pretty damn clear that he's regressed substantially since his departure. 

I mean we can compare team but it starts and stops at the QB position.  One of those teams has a generational talent in Andrew Luck.  The other one has Kurt Cousins who's a mediocre NFL QB. 

Your point is well taken.  With the additions of Cousins and DeFilippo, the Vikings were labled a Super Bowl team, or at least one of the top two teams in the NFC.  That hasn't happened, whether it has anything to do with DeFilippo or not is debatable, but it does throw up some red flags IMO.  

Archived