16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

3 hours ago, Slinky said:

Where do you see anything about Harbaugh? He's not even on the radar. Lol.

BTW, I've been told Fitz will at least accept the interview.

His name was being kicked around on other Packers forums that I post on.

7 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

GB job is a tough one. Old QB, lack of talent at many positions, unproven GM. Won’t be an easy gig for the new coach.

This is so depressing. We had a Super Bowl team just 4 years ago (yes, yes, i know Seattle..).

Damnit.

In the spectrum of open spots...no it's really not. Historic franchise, amazing fan base, administration that isn't apt to knee jerk reactions (job stability). You say old QB...I say Hall of Famer with a few good years left who will come up with at least 2 wins you don't deserve per year. GM may be unproven but seemed to do okay year 1.

From a talent standpoint, yea we got some work to do. But we have good talent at most premium positions: QB, LT, WR, DT, CB. The only missing one is edge. We have some good draft capital this year as well.

2 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

In the spectrum of open spots...no it's really not. Historic franchise, amazing fan base, administration that isn't apt to knee jerk reactions (job stability). You say old QB...I say Hall of Famer with a few good years left who will come up with at least 2 wins you don't deserve per year. GM may be unproven but seemed to do okay year 1.

From a talent standpoint, yea we got some work to do. But we have good talent at most premium positions: QB, LT, WR, DT, CB. The only missing one is edge. We have some good draft capital this year as well.

I disagree... 

We have no pro player personnel people in the front office. Gutekunst needs a lot of help and we'll see if he gets some but its not looking like a fully filled staff in GB.

Talent standpoint, of course our QB, LT, DT are great and the CBs are looking good. But besides Davante we don't have much at WR. No speedsters, a bunch of youngsters who weren't elite level prospects, and thats it. 

With Murphy in charge, I just really don't have the faith that this will be turned around quickly. If it was Harlan, I would. Which is what makes this so depressing vs. the transition in 2005-2006 years.

4 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

I just really don't have the faith that this will be turned around quickly. If it was Harlan, I would. Which is what makes this so depressing vs. the transition in 2005-2006 years.

I'd rather we had a GM making all the calls, but Murphy is far superior to Harlan when it comes to knowing the game of football.  I fight people on this all the time .. Murphy is a really strong football man .. given his resume that should not be in question.  I think we are in good hands, but things could crash and burn if he doesn't get the head coaching choice right.

This is the NFL, no pro league has teams got from worst to first and first to worst as quickly and frequently! Turn around scan happen fast, the Bears right now are a worst to first! 

Of course things need to go right and talent needs to be infused constantly. I do not think we are as void of talent as some think but I do feel that when the top pieces are lost and the second tier of starters becomes the top tier, EVERYONE’s play suffers! Just like at work when you’re coworkers are good you get more done but when you are surrounded by people who don’t have all the same knowledge now mistakes are made and things are missed. You didn’t change but you won’t operate as efficiently either.

1 hour ago, FAH1223 said:

I disagree... 

We have no pro player personnel people in the front office. Gutekunst needs a lot of help and we'll see if he gets some but its not looking like a fully filled staff in GB.

Last year we had :

Director of Player Personnel – Brian Gutekunst

Director of College Scouting – Jon-Eric Sullivan

When Gute was hired as GM he gave co-director of player personnel to both Sullivan and Wojciechowski. I suspect that is in name only. I think Wojciechowski is actually the new Director of Player Personnel whilst Sullivan will continue with what he's already doing with the college scouting. They've just been given new a job title to go along with new pay rises.

He also has Richmond Williams and Chad Brinker as pro scouts and Gute himself can lean on two years of knowledge and experience in this player personnel area if needed. He also has Gissendaner as the Personnel executive. I think he has enough people around him to handle the pro player personnel area of the team - just that there's simply nobody given that specific title.

Hiring Milt Hendrickson as the assistant GM is something will also help even though his background is college scouting. He will probably take over Wolf's many responsibilities.

Archived