Prime JJ Watt or Aaron Donald?

Buckweath

Prime JJ Watt or Aaron Donald (this season)?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Prime JJ Watt or Aaron Donald (this season)?

• Aaron Donald
    • JJ Watt

Just now, jrry32 said:

Yes. He's at 12 effing games and has one less sack.

LOL.

Wasn't aware sacks are the only criteria. Of course he is also on pace to be behind in TFL which I guess aren't as good as sacks for...reasons. He'll be no where close in PDs. He'll have some more FF and likely have faced a higher double team percentage. Like I said pros and cons for both, with seasons on par with each other.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Wasn't aware sacks are the only criteria. Of course he is also on pace to be behind in TFL which I guess aren't as good as sacks for...reasons. He'll be no where close in PDs. He'll have some more FF and likely have faced a higher double team percentage. Like I said pros and cons for both, with seasons on par with each other.

Donald is putting up a historic season from the interior DL while being doubled on roughly 70% of his snaps. Let's stop underselling that.

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Donald is putting up a historic season from the interior DL while being doubled on roughly 70% of his snaps. Let's stop underselling that.

Not underselling anything. Watt's 2015 was pretty freaking great you know. You're underselling Watt's season if you think it is so ridiculous to say they are on par.

• Like 2

Let's ignore the goose egg he's put up so far this game and assume he'll be back on track in the second half

Donald is on pace for 26 tackles for loss. He's on pace for 22 sacks. He's on pace for 1 PD. That's 48 negative plays for the offense.

Watt had 29 tackles for loss, 17.5 sacks, and 8 PDs. That's 55 negative plays for the offense.

You give Donald something for his extra forced fumbles and that might put him ahead, but to pretend like it isn't a legitimate debate is laughable.

1 hour ago, pwny said:

Let's ignore the goose egg he's put up so far this game and assume he'll be back on track in the second half

Donald is on pace for 26 tackles for loss. He's on pace for 22 sacks. He's on pace for 1 PD. That's 48 negative plays for the offense.

Watt had 29 tackles for loss, 17.5 sacks, and 8 PDs. That's 55 negative plays for the offense.

You give Donald something for his extra forced fumbles and that might put him ahead, but to pretend like it isn't a legitimate debate is laughable.

Updating these

Donald is on pace for 24 tackles for loss, 20 sacks, and 1 PD. Now sitting at a projected 45 negative plays.

Don't see why it's laughable to say those two seasons could be ranked either way.

10 hours ago, pwny said:

Who said it did? I was dubunking your stupid claim that only a Watt fanboy could think he was that great. Try not to move the goalpost too far. 

You missed the original point why you are trying to cherry pick but, K.......

Edited by MSURacerDT55

• 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, showtime said:

This guy is better than JJ Watt when Watt was in his prime.

Numbers don't lie, boys.

I think it's fair to say that Watt's best year or two were slightly better. Had Donald broken the sack record, I might have come in here and pounded the table for it being as good or better, but he didn't. However, what's clear from previously posting in this thread is that some will ignore context and try to argue purely by the numbers to push their agenda that Donald isn't on the same level as prime Watt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I think it's fair to say that Watt's best year or two were slightly better. Had Donald broken the sack record, I might have come in here and pounded the table for it being as good or better, but he didn't. However, what's clear from previously posting in this thread is that some will ignore context and try to argue purely by the numbers to push their agenda that Donald isn't on the same level as prime Watt.

Def on the same level.  I heard someone on TV a few days ago say that Donald shouldn't be in consideration for MVP because the Rams weren't a top tier defense.  But isn't that even more impressive for a guy to do it on a defense that wasn't statistically the best.

• Like 1

Well, no defensive player should win MVP - unless they get about 80 sacks to make up the Win Above Replacement % - a fancy way of saying they'd need those kind of sack numbers to equal the consequential plays a QB makes toward winning games. 

If Watt didn't win it in 2014/15 and Donald didn't win it this season, I'd argue it's impossible for a defensive player to win. You just can't get much better than those 2 players in their respective dominant seasons. Not with current nano-technology anyway...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watt's peak was higher. I mean if Donald plays even better than the did this season next season then sure he could have a case. Right now? Nope. Watt is underappreciated around these parts and people have some short term memory. To each their own though.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 7:06 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's insight like this that make me want to leave this site.

The Texans were a top 5 defense with Watt... and a broken Brian Cushing, a broken Jadevion Clowney (who played a whole five quarters that season, I think) a secondary with an aging Jonathan Joseph and a slow Kareem Jackson, no S worthy of note and Whitney Mercilius (who would follow up a three sack performance with a 0/0/0 for about a month).

It's not as far fetched as you're trying to make it out to be. Donald has his run with Suh, Peters, Talib, Brockers, Dante Fowler Jr - not the BEST supporting cast, but better than what Houston had during Watt's peak. Yet, Houston turned out top 3-5 defensive seasons like clockwork.