Divorce advice

Ty21

I’m buying my ex’s car and want to make sure I’m being smart with my decisions. Our divorce was only filed a month ago so division of property and everything hasn’t happened yet. I believe we will be civil as we have been so far. We both just want to go our separate ways as she is like 5 months pregnant with her new boyfriend. I’m wondering if I should have my brother or mom sign for the car though when my ex signs it over so no curveballs pop up later on that unexpectedly make the car go back over to her. Is this necessary or would I be fine just signing for it myself? The latter would be much simpler cause then I wouldn’t have to redo all of it and replate it and whatnot when I take the car over from my brother or mom 5 months later when the divorce is final. 

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Talk to your attorney man, not a bunch of internet bros.

It’s an uncontested divorce. Neither of us are getting an attorney. 

Edit: I’m not asking legal advice per se just personal opinion based on experiences or logic 

1 minute ago, Tyty said:

It’s an uncontested divorce. Neither of us are getting an attorney. 

Edit: I’m not asking legal advice per se just personal opinion based on experiences or logic 

Ok, you asked....

The broad had sex with a dude, in your bed, while you were married, and will potentially have his baby before you’re divorced and you’re wondering if you should trust her?

Bruh...

I’ll I’m saying is I’d probably make sure you have your bases covered. Better safe than sorry.

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ok, you asked....

The broad had sex with a dude, in your bed, while you were married, and will potentially have his baby before you’re divorced and you’re wondering if you should trust her?

Bruh...

I’ll I’m saying is I’d probably make sure you have your bases covered. Better safe than sorry.

:lol: oh geez. This is a mess. I’m asking not because she might screw me over but the guy who divvies up our possessions later on I guess is what I’m trying to say. I’m super confusing because it’s an odd question/situation. 

And FYI the dude was after me. She got with him and got pregnant with him a few weeks after I denied her from getting back with me after I left after she assaulted me. 

7 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

If you aren't already divorced, you shouldn't need to "buy" the car, just document it in the division of assets and have her sign over the title.

Or wait until you are legally divorced, then buy it.

My car just bit the bullet last week, need a car ASAP and don’t have other means. I know what I’m getting with this car. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ok, you asked....

Bruh...

Not to mention also probably had sex with the same guy in said car while they were married.  I would budget some money for detailing tbh.

Oh this thread....

Buy a used car, you don't want the legal mumbo jumbo of buying something from someone you're divorcing. If you buy it after you're separated (I assume you are) it will look a lot better to whoever divides up your assets later. 

But if you gotta have that car, get it in writing preferably video for documentation purposes. Never underestimate how petty someone can be.

This is a nuclear time bomb waiting to go off. I sense we'll be seeing this play out on an episode of Judge Judy or People's Court before it's all over.

Talk to someone who can detail out how to document this transaction - what you need to sign, what she needs to sign, what needs to be notarized, etc. I have a feeling you'll need to make several copies and have those documents/copies on hand for the inevitable "I didn't sell it to him, he stole it/borrowed it without returning it" story she'll drum up when she feels like it. Then you'll be out of the money, out of the car and potentially looking at a Grand Theft Auto charge against you. 

Do it by the book, don't give her cash (get a money order or cashier's check so you have additional documentation) get the title legally signed over to you, and keep copies and originals of every single buyer/seller agreement you both sign.

Or, just find another used car.

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

My advice is to not make dumb threads on an internet forum. Ive asked my baby to lend a hand (she is a divorce attorney). 

my advice would be to not marry this divorce attorney

if things dont work out,she has the distinct advantage

Archived