What is the most underrated position in football?

brownie man

I personally would say the FS position. 

With the the new NFL I believe the key on defense is to contain the passing game. Your not going to stop it, but a stud FS that can keep everything in front of them allows for the rest of the defense to work thr rest of the field. 

For example I think right now if Earl Thomas were healthy he offers the most valuable skill set in today’s nfl 

Clearly the QB position, I'd say special teams specifically the K position. A good K is the difference between a tight game, a great K like Justin Tucker is a nice ace to have in your back pocket if your offense is garbage.

The FS position is underrated to some degree, but that's mostly because CB play gets all of the media coverage.

3 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Clearly the QB position, I'd say special teams specifically the K position. A good K is the difference between a tight game, a great K like Justin Tucker is a nice ace to have in your back pocket if your offense is garbage.

The FS position is underrated to some degree, but that's mostly because CB play gets all of the media coverage.

Was going to say the same thing. Especially since they moved the XP back. How many games have been won and lost from a missed FG or a missed XP. 

Missing 1 extra point completely changes the landscape of some games. 

Center.

OTs get a lot of love from the media, but the center can be the heart of the OL and run game. They make pass protection calls (especially when there's a young or inexperienced QB) and overall are the QBs of the OL.

34 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I personally would say the FS position. 

With the the new NFL I believe the key on defense is to contain the passing game. Your not going to stop it, but a stud FS that can keep everything in front of them allows for the rest of the defense to work thr rest of the field. 

For example I think right now if Earl Thomas were healthy he offers the most valuable skill set in today’s nfl 

Ehhhh I don't know if it's an underrated position, but it's certainly one that isn't valued relative to the others. Safeties are generally the lowest-paid and least sought-after free agents.

19 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Center.

OTs get a lot of love from the media, but the center can be the heart of the OL and run game. They make pass protection calls (especially when there's a young or inexperienced QB) and overall are the QBs of the OL.

Came in here to say this.

The kicking unit. That means the long snapper, holder, and kicker. I saw a play with the Rams against the Lions where Hekker handled the placement of the ball while pointing to the refs that the Lions had 12 players on the field. He still handled the ball cleanly for Zeurlein to kick the field goal cleanly and successfully. Like how many placeholders can do that? How many placeholders would even attempt to do that? 

Then we take a look at how badly kicking is these days. Whether its XP's or FG's. Some teams like the Chargers still havent figured it out. The Chargers had 3 attempts to make the GW FG against the Steelers and if it wasnt for 2 offsides penalties the Chargers wouldnt have won because their kicker missed both attempts. I know one was blocked but still. My point is, maybe its time for teams to invest in a great long snapper, placeholder, and kicker and keep them all intact for a very very long time. 

57 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Punter. 

It doesn’t happen often but a Punter can single handedly win the game. Can’t remember what year it was, maybe 2010, Colts vs Chargers playoff game. The punter won that game, himself. It was amazing. 

Well that can't be true because it doesn't fit with the narrative!

Archived