What is the most underrated position in football?

brownie man

Offense - RB

Defense - MLB

The best MLB (other than Ray Lewis I suppose) never gets in the conversation of Best Defensive Player in the League as frequently as DL and CBs, simply because the nature of the position doesn't allow it to show statistically to the extent those positions do.  But the impact of a great MLB on a defense is noticeable.

10 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

The kicking unit. That means the long snapper, holder, and kicker. I saw a play with the Rams against the Lions where Hekker handled the placement of the ball while pointing to the refs that the Lions had 12 players on the field. He still handled the ball cleanly for Zeurlein to kick the field goal cleanly and successfully. Like how many placeholders can do that? How many placeholders would even attempt to do that? 

Then we take a look at how badly kicking is these days. Whether its XP's or FG's. Some teams like the Chargers still havent figured it out. The Chargers had 3 attempts to make the GW FG against the Steelers and if it wasnt for 2 offsides penalties the Chargers wouldnt have won because their kicker missed both attempts. I know one was blocked but still. My point is, maybe its time for teams to invest in a great long snapper, placeholder, and kicker and keep them all intact for a very very long time. 

This

Mid 1960s, all kickers are using a straight up approach with a flat tipped shoe (Blanda). Lombardi signs the first specialty kicker from the NYG to replace Hornung. AFL uses soccer styled kickers nicknamed sidewinders. Soccer styled kickers increase range and accuracy. Fake turf adds stability to kicks.

According to Marv Levy's memoirs, he spotted the Dolphins long snapper elevating the ball as part of his motion, while ST coach for the Redskins. Preparing for the SB, Levy had NTs practice swatting the football as soon as it was off the ground. Openning drive for Miami stalled, kick team came in, snapper unwittingly put the ball in play, Redskins blocked it, recovered. Refs said no. Don't do that again.

18 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Center.

OTs get a lot of love from the media, but the center can be the heart of the OL and run game. They make pass protection calls (especially when there's a young or inexperienced QB) and overall are the QBs of the OL.

Ehhhh I don't know if it's an underrated position, but it's certainly one that isn't valued relative to the others. Safeties are generally the lowest-paid and least sought-after free agents.

Yep Ryan Kelly has been out the last two weeks and the Colts OL is looking much more vulnerable against the Pass and Run.

Center. I've never seen a good offensive line with a bad center. And a good center is a QB's best friend, when it comes to play adjustments and making sure everything's set up right pre-snap. But you almost never see a center taken in the first round. I think it's just as important as left tackle tbh.

On 12/5/2018 at 7:59 PM, stl4life07 said:

The kicking unit. That means the long snapper, holder, and kicker. I saw a play with the Rams against the Lions where Hekker handled the placement of the ball while pointing to the refs that the Lions had 12 players on the field. He still handled the ball cleanly for Zeurlein to kick the field goal cleanly and successfully. Like how many placeholders can do that? How many placeholders would even attempt to do that? 

Then we take a look at how badly kicking is these days. Whether its XP's or FG's. Some teams like the Chargers still havent figured it out. The Chargers had 3 attempts to make the GW FG against the Steelers and if it wasnt for 2 offsides penalties the Chargers wouldnt have won because their kicker missed both attempts. I know one was blocked but still. My point is, maybe its time for teams to invest in a great long snapper, placeholder, and kicker and keep them all intact for a very very long time. 

The charger kicker only missed the first one because they went offsides to block it. He angled it away from the rush.

On 12/6/2018 at 11:47 AM, BayRaider said:

Punter. 

It doesn’t happen often but a Punter can single handedly win the game. Can’t remember what year it was, maybe 2010, Colts vs Chargers playoff game. The punter won that game, himself. It was amazing. 

I'm sure the 300+ yards by Darren Sproles helped too. :)

On 12/5/2018 at 8:57 PM, iknowcool said:

Offense - RB

Defense - MLB

The best MLB (other than Ray Lewis I suppose) never gets in the conversation of Best Defensive Player in the League as frequently as DL and CBs, simply because the nature of the position doesn't allow it to show statistically to the extent those positions do.  But the impact of a great MLB on a defense is noticeable.

The lack thereof for us over the past few years has been instrumental to our mediocre to bad defense.

On 12/5/2018 at 6:38 PM, cddolphin said:

Center.

OTs get a lot of love from the media, but the center can be the heart of the OL and run game. They make pass protection calls (especially when there's a young or inexperienced QB) and overall are the QBs of the OL.

This. Honestly, I think Center is more important than LT. You can give a LT help. You can have a TE or a back chip. But the Center is usually the one making protection calls and ensuring that you're most important player is getting the ball.

On 12/5/2018 at 6:38 PM, cddolphin said:

Center.

In a Zone Run scheme, I agree. In other schemes, just having an NFL starter could be fine, as long as your OC isn't having them pull on running plays.

Archived