Does Mike Tomlin get fired if Steelers miss the playoffs?

Blackstar12

15 hours ago, VanS said:

This thread is offensive.  Mike Tomlin has the second highest winning percentage of any active coach (after Bill Belichek).  He's also won a Super Bowl.  He should not be on the hot seat for having one poor season.

I don't care what ya'll say but if he was white, a thread like this would not be made.  Mike Tomlin has earned the right to have one bad season after his consistent success for a decade plus.  

GTFO with that crap man.  Talk football or don't talk at all.

15 hours ago, VanS said:

This thread is offensive.  Mike Tomlin has the second highest winning percentage of any active coach (after Bill Belichek).  He's also won a Super Bowl.  He should not be on the hot seat for having one poor season.

I don't care what ya'll say but if he was white, a thread like this would not be made.  Mike Tomlin has earned the right to have one bad season after his consistent success for a decade plus.  

Stephen A is that you? If it is, your takes are bad and I would abuse you in a debate.

15 hours ago, VanS said:

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on this forum, congrats.  Hell you also have #2 regarding Josh Dobbs in the draft forum.

I really don't care about Tomlin's winning percentage.  He constantly loses to and/or plays poorly against some terrible competition.  Brett Hundley managed 30 points against him last year.  Blake Bortles embarrassed the Steelers.  They lost to the Broncos two weeks ago and then just lost to the worst damn team in football.  I think he's a poor head coach who has coached an underachieving team. 

I'll change my mind if he manages to beat the Patriots, but outlook doesn't look good there. 

To answer to OP, based on overall record since becoming Steelers HC and winning one SB and losing in another, also with 8 playoff appearances in 11 seasons, I think Tomlin deserves the benefit of the doubt and no I don't think he should be fired if they miss the playoffs this year.

Back to back losses to the Chargers and Raiders are unacceptable and the locker room and player situation hass gotten a little out of control in recent memory, but I think it's more likely the Steelers rebuild by moving on from Big Ben, Bell and AB than it is that Tomlin is let go.

Seems like the Steelers are in the same spot as the Packers were with Mike McCarthy. Tomlin and McCarthy both seem to have run their course for being an effective HC in their current (and former) situations. Doesn't mean they won't be successful elsewhere. I just can't help but wonder if Big Ben needs to be energized in the same way Rodgers needed it with McCarthys firing. Ultimately, I dont think Tomlin survives in a post Big Ben era in Pittsburgh. Will see who lasts longer.

16 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Not true, already multiple fire Doug Pederson threads in our forum. No, he doesn't have near the track record of Tomlin, but he also has a SB within the calendar year, while it's been over 10 years since Tomlin's.

Jesus christ yall are some unappreciative mofos.

16 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Wow you were quick to play the race card on that one.  John Harbaugh was on the hot seat as recently as a month ago and it had nothing to do with his race or his overall record 

Harbaugh has missed the playoffs for several years now.  Mike Tomlin makes the playoffs every year.

Not a valid comparison. 

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

To answer to OP, based on overall record since becoming Steelers HC and winning one SB and losing in another, also with 8 playoff appearances in 11 seasons, I think Tomlin deserves the benefit of the doubt and no I don't think he should be fired if they miss the playoffs this year.

Back to back losses to the Chargers and Raiders are unacceptable and the locker room and player situation hass gotten a little out of control in recent memory, but I think it's more likely the Steelers rebuild by moving on from Big Ben, Bell and AB than it is that Tomlin is let go.

TBF the loss to the Chargers isn't unacceptable.  They are a good team.  What's unacceptable was what lead to the loss.

And yea, Tomlin isn't going to be fired.  1, that's not what the Rooney's do, and 2, as you said he's got a great record, and if we lose out that's Tomlin's first losing season as a head coach.

I feel he should be on the hot seat, given how flat they seem to be every year. They always lose in the same ways, and I do believe there's a lot of stagnation over there, they rarely manage to break that frontier from good to great.

With that said, his job is clearly secure and Steelers just have to put up with it.

22 hours ago, VanS said:

Pretty sure Mike McCarthy has won a SB, against Tomlin, and threads about him being fired before he actually was were definitely made.

This attempted accusation of racism makes you kind of pathetic. 

Archived