This team needs a 2nd round WR/TE/RB or equivalent FA

skibrett15

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

It kind of brings a red flag to me if your team is actively looking to upgrade upon you.  The Broncos had a HUGE need at QB this past offseason, and they opted to pass on Josh Allen AND Josh Rosen in order to take Bradley Chubb.  Now maybe the Broncos actually stuck to BPA, but the fact of the matter is they took another pass rusher when they already invested FRPs in Shane Ray and Bradley Chubb.  Even look at DEN's snap percentages.  Von Miller has played in 78% of the defensive snaps and Bradley Chubb has played in 78% of the defensive snaps.  Meanwhile, Barrett is 4th behind those two and Shane Ray.  Maybe @Broncofan can expound on this one, but spending any kind of significant amount of money on Barrett seems unwise.

I think the reasoning for Chubb was indeed BPA - Elway apparently only had Darnold & Barkley ahead of Chubb on his BPA list (and Ward was next apparently).    Keep in mind we were in cap hell, and we've basically been resigned to losing both Barrett & Ray in FA after this year.   I think that had a lot to do with the thinking - and the VERY misguided thinking from Elway & Kubiak that somehow Case Keenum would be a serviceable QB (he's not even close to that, true bottom 5 QB play), and that was what was needed for a team that could still win now (it can't).  

Anyways, back to Barrett - TBH, he's the guy most DEN fans hope we can extend cheaply - he's outplayed Ray.   He's actually been decent in run D and he's relentless in pass rush.   One part about DEN EDGE's you have to keep in mind is that our altitude and attack style really forces us to have a 3-4 EDGE rotation, and 3 is pushing it.     And because of those snaps and that injury history, he's probably going to be cheap.   Which is why we hope we can retain him - after Miller & Chubb, we only have Jeff Holland signed for 2019 (who Elway gambled on stashing on the PS, and it worked, I was terrified it would backfire, but I'll give him the nod there, it worked out fine).     

Obviously I don't think Barrett's a guy you want to offer Brandon Graham $ to - but he's going to be our local fanbase's pick to be an under the radar signing that will pay off in spades, provided he's healthy (which is no lock).    We kind of hope it's us lol.  

• Like 1

I know people will disagree but that is why I want the Packers to trade a 3rd for AJ Green. I understand the injuries and his age  but I want to give Rodgers more players with experience. Rodgers is a player that needs trust from his receiver group, AJ is a talented player and still talented that would give the young players time to develop more chemistry. AJ Green would cost an additional 12 million on the cap but should allow us to sign Thomas/Breeland/Wilkerson & Barrett. Plus would still allow us to draft (2) Edge & RT with the first 3 picks. 

2 minutes ago, LuckyIrish23 said:

I know people will disagree but that is why I want the Packers to trade a 3rd for AJ Green. I understand the injuries and his age  but I want to give Rodgers more players with experience. Rodgers is a player that needs trust from his receiver group, AJ is a talented player and still talented that would give the young players time to develop more chemistry. AJ Green would cost an additional 12 million on the cap but should allow us to sign Thomas/Breeland/Wilkerson & Barrett. Plus would still allow us to draft (2) Edge & RT with the first 3 picks. 

Why would the Bengals do that though?

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why would the Bengals do that though?

2020 he will be a free agent. Plus he may want a contract extension with them. Rather than lose him in free agency get the pick now and a early pick. May take an additional 4th in 2020 but AJ would be worth it. Bengals know that they are a few years away from competing and will look to get something for him. 

23 minutes ago, LuckyIrish23 said:

2020 he will be a free agent. Plus he may want a contract extension with them. Rather than lose him in free agency get the pick now and a early pick. May take an additional 4th in 2020 but AJ would be worth it. Bengals know that they are a few years away from competing and will look to get something for him. 

So the Bengals start off their new rookie QB without AJ Green? Seems odd.

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So the Bengals start off their new rookie QB without AJ Green? Seems odd.

You think they would want to lose out on him signing elsewhere in 2020 and not get value back? Green will be 30/31 next year and has been ending on IR last 2 seasons. Risk for us but more worth it than the Bengals 

3 minutes ago, LuckyIrish23 said:

You think they would want to lose out on him signing elsewhere in 2020 and not get value back? Green will be 30/31 next year and has been ending on IR last 2 seasons. Risk for us but more worth it than the Bengals 

They'd still get a fourth round draft pick in all likelihood just on name recognition.

Trading him would cost them 3 million in dead cap in 2019.

They're not a rebuilding roster. They're not an anything roster. Getting rid of the only player that Bengals fans don't hate (outside of Geno Atkins) just doesn't seem something they would want to do at this point. 

Even more concerning for us is what the hell do you do with him long term. Do you give him the payday he's going to be looking for knowing you're going to be paying for past production in a 31 y/o? 

Just seems like a move that might have potentially next year but that kills you into the future.

I suppose if you go into it knowing you're not going to be ring him back, that's something. Trade your 3rd round pick (which the Bengals still probably wouldn't accept) for a year of Green and a 4th round comp next year, you might be able to make it work, but just doesn't seem likely.

27 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why? They don't need the cap space to rebuild. 

I don’t understand why they would keep an aging player with value when the team is not going anywhere. Start acquiring picks for young players and lower contracts.  They need to significantly revamp the defense which they could use on the 9-10 plus in cap savings plus the picks to acquire young Wr talent. Heck maybe they wouldn’t but if I was the Packers I would try.

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Fine.

Then when I'm his HC, I'm gonna tell him to get over it and throw the ******* ball. He gets paid to throw the football - and before this year - he seemed to have a handle on how to do it. The FO gets paid to put receiving talent on the field - for him to throw the ball to.

Not - to get to like the WRs
Not - to get to "trust" the WRs.
But to throw them the ball.
We've ALL watched and seen tape this year of Mr. AR NOT throwing the ball to open WRs. 

When I'm hired as the next HC - yes, best put me in your poll options - I'm gonna make a point to discuss the matter with AR.
And if I have to continue those discussions on the sideline during a game or two - I hope I dont make him cry.

Throw the ball.

Wow .. getting a little on the edge aren't we?  Make him cry?  Just don't pee and moan when Rodgers throws the ball to one of his receivers, who screws up and he's intercepted.  Oh by the way,  I don't want you being his OC ... you'd lose.