The Saints just signed Simmie Cobbs off PS

MikeT14

15 hours ago, lavar703 said:

So apparently the Redskins offered him a contract when the Saints attempted to sign him. He went with the Saints offer instead lol. Smart kid and a testament to just how far this franchise has fallen. Even practice squad players don’t want to be on this team. 

I mean, short of the Patriots and the Chiefs, who else wouldnt want to play with Drew Brees?

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

So exactly like I thought. The fact they kept passing him up and waiting forever to call him up swayed his decision. Yeah, he’s a practice squad player but my god this team is a train wreck. Bruce Allen better be gone. 

3 hours ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

The Redskins have waived Bibbs,brought up Holsey and Sundberg is out for the season.  With the browns win last night we will move up a spot in the draft if we lose today. 

I don’t understand why they waived Bibbs! Ugh! I know they like Marshall better as a return man and as a 3rd down back/Thompson like but I think Bibbs is the better all-around back and hate that Bibbs was waived. 

48 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t understand why they waived Bibbs! Ugh! I know they like Marshall better as a return man and as a 3rd down back/Thompson like but I think Bibbs is the better all-around back and hate that Bibbs was waived. 

I don’t understand their obsession with Marshall? Bibbs is much better but I’m going to assume his missed block that got Alex hurt is basically what put him in the dog house. He’ll latch on somewhere and we’ll wonder why he was cut. 

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Gruden- stupid but honest ! Any points for that ?

In life, sure. Probably not in coaching football at the highest level.

This raises an interesting question for me, though. Who has control over the 53-man roster? Does Gruden determine who gets cut or added to the roster mid-week, or is that a Bruce Allen thing?

I'm sure they'd say they both have input -- but it seems insane to me that a head coach of a team fighting for the playoffs would be asked, mid-week, to make determinations about protecting promising PS players and things of that nature. For one, there's just not enough time in the day for him to review film, prepare a gameplan, run practices, meet with the press, and all the other hundred little things he has to do each week to get ready to prepare for a game AND be worrying about minutiae like protecting PS players from poaching.

And for two, the coach will rarely (if ever) make the right decision on things like that. Gruden's job is to try to get the team ready to win the next game and the one after that. Michael Floyd is probably more able to help the team do that than Simmie Cobbs is right now. Jehu Chesson is probably one of their 2-3 best ST players. Colt McCoy or Jordan Reed, if they can return, could be critical to the Redskins beating Tennessee or Philly -- Simmie Cobbs would be a 6th WR and would likely be inactive. The coach is going to lean very strongly towards stocking the roster with guys who can help him now.

Which is why you need the damn personnel people to step in and take the choice out of the coach's hands. Someone has to be focused on the long-term, and that someone needs to have veto power over the coach's natural inclination to try to win the game that's right ahead of him. This should never have been a decision for Gruden to make in the first place -- Bruce (or Doug or whomever) should have advised Gruden that they're adding Simmie Cobbs to the active roster, and the discussion should have been about which player/roster spot is most expendable. 

8 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This raises an interesting question for me, though. Who has control over the 53-man roster? Does Gruden determine who gets cut or added to the roster mid-week, or is that a Bruce Allen thing?

So local talk radio (Kevin Sheehan) was talking about how Bruce Allen has a vice grip on all roster decisions, not just who's on the 53 but also who starts and how the rotations play out.  

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

So local talk radio (Kevin Sheehan) was talking about how Bruce Allen has a vice grip on all roster decisions, not just who's on the 53 but also who starts and how the rotations play out.  

If so, Gruden should just flat out resign if Allen isn't axed .

Archived