The Refs hate the Cowboys

Matts4313

12 hours ago, Malfatron said:

someone should track missed penalties and false positive penalties, with bonus points for "game changing penalties"

and post those stats.

most of those are undocumented though 

from an eye test, the screwed over teams have been the packers, vikings, browns, and steelers.

the teams most helped out are the seahawks(heard they got screwed over againsr 49ers but cant confirm), vikings, saints, chargers

im sure others have different eye test teams.

You’re definitely forgetting probably the most screwed over team by a wide margin.

3 hours ago, childofpudding said:

I dont think the OP proves the refs are against the Cowboys

TBH I dont think the OP was trying to prove that. I think he was just pointing out how poor the refs are and used a click baity headline due to his team being on of the teams on the wrong end of this stat. 

12 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

@Matts4313 legit rebuttal to this nonsense:

Dallas is currently third in the NFL time of possession.  I don’t have the data, but I’m going to guess more offensive penalties are called than defensive ones, as it seems to me that holding and false starts are probably the two most commonly called penalties.  Since Dallas keeps opposing offenses on the sidelines more than most they don’t get as many opportunities for those calls.

New Orleans and Baltimore, the only two teams ahead of Dallas in TOP are also in the bottom 6 of teams on that list you posted.

This is the best answer in here. And you were right in your assumption about the penalty distribution.

I don't think there is a simple answer to this question. Thinking the refs have some sort of bias against the Cowboys is a terrible way of looking at this. It's complex and requires a multivariate analysis that goes beyond my scope. But TOP definitely looks to be a major contributor. 

Below is some data for anyone interested in what the numbers might look like. Some of which is from 2017, and to be honest I'm not sure how accurate any of these numbers are considering I don't know the source. Pretty interesting offensive holding and false starts make up a whopping 34.2% of the penalties. 

Penalty Distribution by Unit, 2018 (thus far):

45.60% offensive 

37.80% defensive

16.49% ST

Penalty Distribution by Type, 2017 (top 4 called):

19.23% offensive holding

14.97% false start

7.85% DPI

7.03 defensive holding

http://www.nflpenalties.com/phase.php?year=2018&view=game

59 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

This is the best answer in here. And you were right in your assumption about the penalty distribution.

I don't think there is a simple answer to this question. Thinking the refs have some sort of bias against the Cowboys is a terrible way of looking at this. It's complex and requires a multivariate analysis that goes beyond my scope. But TOP definitely looks to be a major contributor. 

Below is some data for anyone interested in what the numbers might look like. Some of which is from 2017, and to be honest I'm not sure how accurate any of these numbers are considering I don't know the source. Pretty interesting offensive holding and false starts make up a whopping 34.2% of the penalties. 

Penalty Distribution by Unit, 2018 (thus far):

45.60% offensive 

37.80% defensive

16.49% ST

Penalty Distribution by Type, 2017 (top 4 called):

19.23% offensive holding

14.97% false start

7.85% DPI

7.03 defensive holding

http://www.nflpenalties.com/phase.php?year=2018&view=game

@Matts4313 see.  Nothing to see here.  Move along people.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

@Matts4313 see.  Nothing to see here.  Move along people.

I had already bought your theory. If we wanted to take it further, we would need to research the number of plays run the last 3 years and compare it to the number of penalties called. The % would be a more telling stat imo.

But you missed my other question. Why are some teams consistently towards the top in terms of having the most penalties against their opponent? Any speculation there? 

6 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I had already bought your theory. If we wanted to take it further, we would need to research the number of plays run the last 3 years and compare it to the number of penalties called. The % would be a more telling stat imo.

But you missed my other question. Why are some teams consistently towards the top in terms of having the most penalties against their opponent? Any speculation there? 

I think we’re both way too lazy to answer any of those questions.

14 hours ago, kramxel said:

Hard to call anyone dumb when you title a thread "The Refs hate the Cowboys".

Don't know if you did it just to click bait or genuinely think that, regardless your point was not proven.

Just because your opponents are the least penalized , you can't infer "The Refs hate the Cowboys". It's a question of logic, and there's no causality.

Wheres the logic every game where some butt hurt fan thinks Jerry is paying the refs when this clearly states otherwise. 

Archived