Week Whatever Game Day Commiseration Destination: Packers Versus Lions

MacReady

5 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Why are we discussing Dom Capers?   His defense failed for 7 years straight, and his concepts repetitively had us defeated pre-snap.

We don't know what Pettine could do given time yet.

You hire the right guy as the next head coach, and let him decide on his staff.  That includes his DC.

Capers is the only Packers DC in recent memory to field a top 5 defense.

After the SB win he lost many to FA. Then TT didn’t give him anything besides Haha.

The problem is expecting a defense full of backups/rookies/crappy starters to understand and execute Capers defense was apparently impossible.

This coming from a guy who hated Capers. 

1 minute ago, PackGymRat said:

Do you guys have amnesia? The Injuries didn’t all happen Day 1. Packers were terrible on defense even early on.

lets not forget Capers dealt with injuries. On top of that Capers had crap corners which meant the packages he could run were limited. At least there is some promise for the years to come with the current (injured) talent.

Capers lost his key defense players to free agency after Super Bowl and the years that followed. TT then didn’t give him any talent in the years after via draft.

Pettine should be held to the same standard. Or else 5 years will pass and you will have had Capers 2.0 and everyone on here will act like they hated Pettine since day 1.

So what was your expectation for pettine, or any first year DC for that matter? Gotta light it up from day 1? Good thing the players don't have an adjustment period to learn a new defense..... it's why you give a guy more than one year. Jesus.....

I think we all understand you want blood as revenge for the packers season... but you are WAY too impatient and seem to think a new defensive install should have zero growing pains and no learning curve. Ridiculous.

4 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

No record for Davante. He's inactive so he'll finish 1 reception short of tying Sharpe's record. With Davante out, it makes little sense to have Rodgers play the entire game in this one. We'll see what Philbin does but I'd hope he gets him out of the game real early and we see Kizer out there for the majority of it

According to Slinky Philbin doesn't have any say about Rodgers playing or not.   

Everyone who **** on Cobb over the years should have to stare down that picture for 10 full uninterrupted minutes Clockwork Orange style.

Packer to the bone.  Love him.  Will always remember Cobb and some of the incredible memories he's given me.  

Wherevdr he goes, I wish nothing but the very best for him.

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

Not sure we are the favorite in this game. Although I expect the Lions to lay down. 

One team laid down but it wasn't the visiting team.

Man, what a mess.  I didn't recognize half of the players out there today.

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

So what was your expectation for pettine, or any first year DC for that matter? Gotta light it up from day 1? Good thing the players don't have an adjustment period to learn a new defense..... it's why you give a guy more than one year. Jesus.....

I think we all understand you want blood as revenge for the packers season... but you are WAY too impatient and seem to think a new defensive install should have zero growing pains and no learning curve. Ridiculous.

You realize Pettine also runs a 3-4 D like Capers? Capers had some crazier schemes (psycho package), but both run Nickle/Dime packages man coverages mixed in with some zone.

No one expected Pettine to have a top 10 defense Year 1. But damn giving up 24 pts/game a game on less yards than a lot of other teams this year is pitiful. 

The problem is everyone defends someone till the winds change, then people claim they always claimed that ______ should hve been fired.

I remember all the Capers defenders on this board post 2012.

I wasn’t impressed with what Pettine brought to the table. He constantly struggled to adjust in the first half of games against teams. He gave QBs all the time in world to throw.

Again it didn’t matter if this DL was fully healthy, this line wouldn’t get pressure either way. Clay is washed up and slow, and even if Clay was Clay in his prime, one guy cannot he relied on to supply all the pressure.

Just now, PackGymRat said:

You realize Pettine also runs a 3-4 D like Capers? Capers had some crazier schemes (psycho package), but both run Nickle/Dime packages man coverages mixed in with some zone.

No one expected Pettine to have a top 10 defense Year 1. But damn giving up 24 pts/game a game on less yards than a lot of other teams this year is pitiful. 

The problem is everyone defends someone till the winds change, then people claim they always claimed that ______ should hve been fired.

I remember all the Capers defenders on this board post 2012.

I wasn’t impressed with what Pettine brought to the table. He constantly struggled to adjust in the first half of games against teams. He gave QBs all the time in world to throw.

Again it didn’t matter if this DL was fully healthy, this line wouldn’t get pressure either way. Clay is washed up and slow, and even if Clay was Clay in his prime, one guy cannot he relied on to supply all the pressure.

You mean our pass rushers who couldn't get to the QB and let the QB have all the time in the world? And when he did scheme to get to the passer it worked? You know how much better this defense would have been if we actually had pass rushers and played coverage?

Just now, Pugger said:

There is no need to boo.  This team right now is a shell of its former self.   Its all rather sad.  

It's time to get really serious .. if you aren't worth your contract it's probably time go away.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Gute slice and dice this roster pretty severely.  It's just time for major change in GB.  Even making a butt-load of changes we should be able to compete next year if we can make the right draft picks and free agency decisions.  I kind of expect us to be very active in free agency.  Maybe this year Gute will get another shot at adding a difference maker via trade?

Archived