Week Whatever Game Day Commiseration Destination: Packers Versus Lions

MacReady

23 minutes ago, Leader said:

A question please.........

I've only caught fragments of the fake FG / TD in yesterdays game. Unfortunately (or fortunately in some ways......) "highlights" of this game arent registering high on the "Must see TV" scale - so they're showing is something less than highlights of last years Westminster Dog Show.

In any case - my question..........

I've yet to see the DET WR/TE that caught the TD break from the LOS. Was he lined up out by the sideline the entire time and the ST unit failed to see him?

Yeah basically.

9 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:
any this is why him playing in that game was so stupid 

It was a dumb decision to start Rodgers ... I really think Murphy or Gute should have stepped in earlier this past week and shut him down.  With nothing at all to play for, the line being a mess, and Adams ruled out of the game it only made sense to sit Rodgers down .. for his own safety, and in the best interests of the team.  Now you've got a QB who is on concussion #3 after years of no issue in that regard.  He'll recover and be fine, but I really don't know what they were trying to prove by having him out there.  Taking momentum into the off-season is horse crap.  That game yesterday was forgotten by most of the players in the opening minutes.

Thanks for the replies. Just read the sad tale on CHTV as well:

"On the play, the Lions flank a receiver out wide and not a single Packers player moved out to cover.  That's coaching, my friends and don't bring any cockamamie excuse as to why it's not"

Thats high school stuff bad.

It's a "Check with me" play.

The Lions Tight End leaves the huddle way earlier than the rest of the team and he runs backwards at an angle towards the Lions sideline so that it looks like he's going back to the bench. Only when he's to the sideline (basicallly out of the line of sight of everybody focusing on the kicker) does he wander back towards the line of scrimmage and get set. At that point the Lions break their ST huddle and line up.

The guy on the end of the line, Josh Jackson in this instance, needs to know that he has to be aware of anybody leaving the huddle going towards that direction. He made a dumbass rookie move and wasn't aware of it. 

Zook can't really see what's happening because he's down on the sideline and the action is happening on the other side of the field. (An advantage to coaching from the booth FWIW). The real failure here was on the part of the Packers' ST spotter who needed to catch that there were only 11 guys in the huddle. Why is one guy running off? and radio down to Zook so that a timeout could be called to save Jackson's moron rookie ***. 

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

"On the play, the Lions flank a receiver out wide and not a single Packers player moved out to cover.  That's coaching, my friends and don't bring any cockamamie excuse as to why it's not"

Yeah .. ridiculousness!  If one guy follows him out they abort that fake call and kick a field goal.  The awareness level of our special teams has been mind boggling all season long.  Whoever comes in here next needs to take that unit seriously .. it always seems like it was a secondary concern to McCarthy.  Poor play on teams has cost us many victories over the years .. none worse that that fateful day in Seattle when we were fooled on a fake for a TD, and when we couldn't properly block and recover for an onsides kick.  Screw it .. hire Dave Toub ... it will be a team strength for many years to come.  Toub as HC .. Eric Bieneme as assistant head coach/OC.

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's a "Check with me" play.

The Lions Tight End leaves the huddle way earlier than the rest of the team and he runs backwards at an angle towards the Lions sideline so that it looks like he's going back to the bench. Only when he's to the sideline (basicallly out of the line of sight of everybody focusing on the kicker) does he wander back towards the line of scrimmage and get set. At that point the Lions break their ST huddle and line up.

The guy on the end of the line, Josh Jackson in this instance, needs to know that he has to be aware of anybody leaving the huddle going towards that direction. He made a dumbass rookie move and wasn't aware of it. 

Zook can't really see what's happening because he's down on the sideline and the action is happening on the other side of the field. (An advantage to coaching from the booth FWIW). The real failure here was on the part of the Packers' ST spotter who needed to catch that there were only 11 guys in the huddle. Why is one guy running off? and radio down to Zook so that a timeout could be called to save Jackson's moron rookie ***. 

The replay I saw was that the TE went from the huddle pretty direct to the spot he needed to line up out wide.  There was very little deception on that play by DET.   TE at 6'7" would have been matched up against a CB like Josh Jackson.  Pretty easy jump ball type play regardless if the GB had recognized it.  Good chance it gets a DPI if not a TD.

Just now, squire12 said:

The replay I saw was that the TE went from the huddle pretty direct to the spot he needed to line up out wide.  There was very little deception on that play by DET.   TE at 6'7" would have been matched up against a CB like Josh Jackson.  Pretty easy jump ball type play regardless if the GB had recognized it.  Good chance it gets a DPI if not a TD.

I haven't gone back and rewatched it. You may be right.

As far as it being a jump ball . . . The Kicker is throwing it. Not a chance in hell they let a kicker throw a 50/50 ball rather than taking the points. 

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I haven't gone back and rewatched it. You may be right.

As far as it being a jump ball . . . The Kicker is throwing it. Not a chance in hell they let a kicker throw a 50/50 ball rather than taking the points. 

DET was 5-10.  What the hell did DET have to lose.  Might as well have some fun.  They were dominating GB regardless.  At that point, GB did not have a 1st down.

Just now, squire12 said:

DET was 5-10.  What the hell did DET have to lose.  Might as well have some fun.  They were dominating GB regardless.  At that point, GB did not have a 1st down.

Just very skeptical:

A. That ball ever gets thrown

B. That a kicker can throw that ball accurately enough to score there. 

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just very skeptical:

A. That ball ever gets thrown

B. That a kicker can throw that ball accurately enough to score there. 

Prater threw a nice ball.   It really does not have to be a good ball, just something that the TE can go up and get or draw the DPI.  Worst case the TE knocks it away and it is a turnover on downs.

Again, a 5-10 team that is already dominating GB, Rodgers being out (not sure if that is the right timeline of things). 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It was a dumb decision to start Rodgers ... I really think Murphy or Gute should have stepped in earlier this past week and shut him down.  With nothing at all to play for, the line being a mess, and Adams ruled out of the game it only made sense to sit Rodgers down .. for his own safety, and in the best interests of the team.  Now you've got a QB who is on concussion #3 after years of no issue in that regard.  He'll recover and be fine, but I really don't know what they were trying to prove by having him out there.  Taking momentum into the off-season is horse crap.  That game yesterday was forgotten by most of the players in the opening minutes.

Yes, it was dumb but I can understand why he did.  Philbin was trying to win the game.  He was basically auditioning for a job either in GB or elsewhere.  Rodgers stated he wanted to show some leadership by being out there with his teammates.  That is admirable but in retrospect a mistake.  Not a fatal one because he'll recover but it could've been a lot worse.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Zook can't leave town fast enough for me.   ¬¬

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yep .. that's what happened ... he jogged out near the sideline and not a single Packers player seemed to notice or do anything about it. 

I might be high but I swear the end guy looked at him for a bit as he first went that way but I guess he got bored

Archived