Joker

Mox

6 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

So apparently not people see pissed off and creating controversy because they used a Gary glitter song I'm the movie? 

I'm pretty sure some people legitimately just want to be offended by everything it's ridiculous.

Eh, I mean I'm sure people don't want to be indirectly supporting a pedo.

7 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

So apparently not people see pissed off and creating controversy because they used a Gary glitter song I'm the movie? 

I'm pretty sure some people legitimately just want to be offended by everything it's ridiculous.

Dude autocorrect just butchered your post. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 9:43 PM, Buckrock101 said:

Fair enough, but I think any versions that aren't are pretty weaksauce.

Like, near the start of the movie, Arthur gets punked by a group of kids. Nothing changes in regards to his skill or ability over the movie. He just gets a gun, and all of a sudden we're supposed to believe that he's this super dangerous villain.

This character would be outsmarted by Batman, any cop worth his badge, or half of the people in this thread. Unpredictability only takes you so far. There's nothing in this movie that showed he was anything more than just a crazy guy.

That's the point.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 1:06 PM, Calvert28 said:

Exactly, he finally accepted he wasnt going to be like society expected him to be and he just let his conformeties go.

That bathroom scene was the best scene of the movie with second being his conversation with Murray at the end. In the bathroom scene it's like he had a moment of clarity on how to solve all of his life problems and for a moment he let go but later returned to be Arthur because he was terrified but you could see the change come in waves where he become more and more aggressive and assertive with getting what he wants. 

His entire goal throughout the movie was kill himself and be remembered which he figured wouldnt happen in life and he wanted to leave his life behind. And his last line to Murray was him not only abandoning that but really hitting society in the mouth for everything it did to him. This scene sums up his character and the movie and really Gotham for that matter perfectly.

Arthur Fleck: How 'bout another joke, Murray?

Murray Franklin: No, I think we've had enough of your jokes.

Arthur Fleck: What do you get...

Murray Franklin: I don't think so.

Arthur Fleck: ...when you cross...

Murray Franklin: I think we're done here now, thank you.

Arthur Fleck: ...a mentally ill loner with a society that abandons him and treats him like trash?

Murray Franklin: Call the police, Gene, call the police.

Arthur Fleck: I'll tell you what you get! You get what you f%&kin' deserve!

This was kinda irritating to me. They had already established their messaging. They punted on subtlety with that exchange. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This was kinda irritating to me. They had already established their messaging. They punted on subtlety with that exchange. 

You could look at it that way. I thought it was the straw that broke the camel's back where Murray not even remembering his insult of Arthur and not caring about what view points were on why he would commit such an act. Murray was aware of the suffering in the city but also withdrawn and in many ways oblivious to it. 

Though in hindsight I do wonder about that scene though. Not because of the exchange but because I wonder if Arthur imagined that slight from Murray just like he imagined some other things in that film. Murray didnt seem like he knew anything about it so I keep debating whether or not he was hallucinating everything in that hospital scene. 

29 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

You could look at it that way. I thought it was the straw that broke the camel's back where Murray not even remembering his insult of Arthur and not caring about what view points were on why he would commit such an act. Murray was aware of the suffering in the city but also withdrawn and in many ways oblivious to it. 

Though in hindsight I do wonder about that scene though. Not because of the exchange but because I wonder if Arthur imagined that slight from Murray just like he imagined some other things in that film. Murray didnt seem like he knew anything about it so I keep debating whether or not he was hallucinating everything in that hospital scene. 

He looked dead into the camera,  started the theme of the movie,  and then did what he did, don't tell me it was anything other than talking down to an audience. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He looked dead into the camera,  started the theme of the movie,  and then did what he did, don't tell me it was anything other than talking down to an audience. 

He went up to the camera after he shot murray said some things and got tackled by the police. Everything in the film surrounded on him being invisible to the world and him wanting to be noticed, wanted, loved. He couldnt get some of the more gentle things he wanted so he focused on making a grand spectacle of himself and the center of attention while having fun his way The Joker has always been narcissistic like that. 

Alas, Ryan from Screen Rant made a Joker Pitch Meeting vid (it was only a matter of time!):

But yeah, gotta love this whole "glorification of violence" spiel incels are spewing towards this movie. Where was the outcry for the Saw movies glorifying torture and murder or Hannibal glorifying/encouraging cannibalism when that came out?

58 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Alas, Ryan from Screen Rant made a Joker Pitch Meeting vid (it was only a matter of time!):

But yeah, gotta love this whole "glorification of violence" spiel incels are spewing towards this movie. Where was the outcry for the Saw movies glorifying torture and murder or Hannibal glorifying/encouraging cannibalism when that came out?

SR sucks. They pander way too much. 

But those same critics who are bashing this film for violence will praise BoP when it comes out while the heroines will probably leave hundreds of dead bodies around the movie. 

Edited by Calvert28

On 10/8/2019 at 11:17 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Its the director of the Hangover movies.

He doesnt specialize in subtleties (i.e. The Everything Must Go sign/theme being hit over the head of the Fleck/audience.)

Edited by Malfatron

Everyone else is talking spoilers now so I’ll give my 2 cents. 

After I watched the movie I immediately thought that whole movie was the “joke” that the psychiatrist wouldn’t get. In the beginning when he’s first talking to a psychiatrist she mentions him being in a mental institution before and they  flash back to him banging his head on the glass part of the door. He’s wearing the same clothes that we see him in at the end. They don’t elaborate on this at all. 

His laugh seems different in the final scene also, it doesn’t hurt anymore and he doesn’t laugh anytime that he’s “the joker”. Lastly why would they put him in a room all alone with a psychiatrist if he just admitted to killing the boys on the subway and shot Murray on live TV? I’m sure by then they would have known he killed someone with a pair of scissors in his apartment as well. I think he kills that psychiatrist and that is his first kill in the movie. 

26 minutes ago, opeth0500 said:

Everyone else is talking spoilers now so I’ll give my 2 cents. 

After I watched the movie I immediately thought that whole movie was the “joke” that the psychiatrist wouldn’t get. In the beginning when he’s first talking to a psychiatrist she mentions him being in a mental institution before and they  flash back to him banging his head on the glass part of the door. He’s wearing the same clothes that we see him in at the end. They don’t elaborate on this at all. 

His laugh seems different in the final scene also, it doesn’t hurt anymore and he doesn’t laugh anytime that he’s “the joker”. Lastly why would they put him in a room all alone with a psychiatrist if he just admitted to killing the boys on the subway and shot Murray on live TV? I’m sure by then they would have known he killed someone with a pair of scissors in his apartment as well. I think he kills that psychiatrist and that is his first kill in the movie. 

How would he have gotten out though? He obviously killed her from the foot prints you see with blood. 

5 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

How would he have gotten out though? He obviously killed her from the foot prints you see with blood. 

I don’t think he ever left. 

EDIT: why was his hair brown in the final scene? Did Arkham take the time to dye his hair or does the final scene pick up so many years later that he outgrew they green hair? 

The more I think about it the more I think the whole movie was in his mind while he was already institutionalized. 

Edited by opeth0500