Joker

Mox

On 10/21/2019 at 1:33 PM, vegas492 said:

Agree.

I thought they were both excellent.  And excellent in different ways.

Agreed.  Phoenix's was a great character piece, but no way that guy becomes Batman's greatest nemesis.  I like the idea that his character goes on to influence the future Joker.  Maybe they have a news clip about copycat Jokers embedded in the upcoming The Batman  movie to set up the Joker for the sequel or third movie.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Agreed.  Phoenix's was a great character piece, but no way that guy becomes Batman's greatest nemesis.  I like the idea that his character goes on to influence the future Joker.  Maybe they have a news clip about copycat Jokers embedded in the upcoming The Batman  movie to set up the Joker for the sequel or third movie.  

Go with me on this little ride.

If you were to create the Batman nemesis out of this Joker...is it too far fetched to think that he gets his proverbial butt handed to him by Batman.  Ends up in Arkham, again, where they experiment on him, maybe getting him some more physical power?  Kind of a pseudo Bane?

It's a reach, for sure, but one I think they could pull off.  If they wanted to.

Me?  Personally?  I love the idea of this Joker being the influencing Joker to the Batman nemesis.  It's easier.  And cleaner. 

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Go with me on this little ride.

If you were to create the Batman nemesis out of this Joker...is it too far fetched to think that he gets his proverbial butt handed to him by Batman.  Ends up in Arkham, again, where they experiment on him, maybe getting him some more physical power?  Kind of a pseudo Bane?

It's a reach, for sure, but one I think they could pull off.  If they wanted to.

Me?  Personally?  I love the idea of this Joker being the influencing Joker to the Batman nemesis.  It's easier.  And cleaner. 

I'd definitely do the influencing the next Joker route.  Although Hugo Strange could be worked in to give the Phoenix version more teeth, so to speak.

17 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Tbf we never actually got to see the limits of his comprehension level. The most we got was a poor ability to write but then again he was tied up as a kid and beaten in the head then sent to a mental hospital.

His entire movie was him trying to control his "bad thoughts" and be normal. Go back and watch the movie again after he killed those employees how he starts loosening up he shows a variety of skills that he didnt display early on for example with him lying to cops so easily while being on the cusp of his transition. 

Most people cant do that and the fact that he could so easily and casually while dealing his mother in a coma shows his ability in creative thinking when before he needed all the answers soon fed to him. 

We have no idea what he kept suppressed out of fear and what other skills he may possess. Cause I'm fairly certain this movie takes place not long after he is released from the mental ward. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 2:11 PM, Calvert28 said:

Tbf we never actually got to see the limits of his comprehension level. The most we got was a poor ability to write but then again he was tied up as a kid and beaten in the head then sent to a mental hospital.

His entire movie was him trying to control his "bad thoughts" and be normal. Go back and watch the movie again after he killed those employees how he starts loosening up he shows a variety of skills that he didnt display early on for example with him lying to cops so easily while being on the cusp of his transition. 

Most people cant do that and the fact that he could so easily and casually while dealing his mother in a coma shows his ability in creative thinking when before he needed all the answers soon fed to him. 

We have no idea what he kept suppressed out of fear and what other skills he may possess. Cause I'm fairly certain this movie takes place not long after he is released from the mental ward. 

After him "meeting" Murray at the beginning of the movie and it turned out his "relationship" with Sophie was all in his head, you can't trust a single event in the movie.

3 minutes ago, Elky said:

After him "meeting" Murray at the beginning of the movie and it turned out his "relationship" with Sophie was all in his head, you can't trust a single event in the movie.

Exactly, even when Arthur asked Murray to call him Joker because that's what he called him before it appears Murray doesn't even remember that. It could be that Murray just didnt remember due to a busy schedule or that could have been something that Arthur imagined too. 

Edited by Calvert28

24 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Exactly, even when Arthur asked Murray to call him Joker because that's what he called him before it appears Murray doesn't even remember that. It could be that Murray just didnt remember due to a busy schedule or that could have been something that Arthur imagined too. 

My biggest theory is that the entire movie was his imagination. Remember when he was seeing his first therapist and she asked what he thought of the sessions compared to being at Arkham? Then the movie ends with him in Arkham telling his "story" to a therapist that was black like the first one. It keeps up with the Joker being a complete mystery.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 2

On 10/8/2019 at 11:17 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

This was kinda irritating to me. They had already established their messaging. They punted on subtlety with that exchange. 

Although, if it's all in his head...then it makes more sense imo.  

On 10/15/2019 at 2:58 AM, thrILL! said:

That was outstanding for so many reasons. I like both Jack and Ledger’s versions very much but this one has so much to chew on.  The backstory and the macabre empathy you can’t help feel for him until you no longer could was so well done.  And the craftsmanship from Phillips and his DP were exemplary.  This just showed every DCU movie how it’s done. 

I described it as brilliant, but disturbing for this reason.  At which point do you stop having empathy?  

On 10/16/2019 at 7:54 AM, BroncosFan2010 said:

This film was a masterpiece. Phoenix was unbelievable. There is little else I can say. It was so well done, so many layers, so many mixed emotions. The teeter-tottering between empathy and hate for Joker.

Phoenix should easily win an Oscar for this, but since the film didn't deal with the right topics he wont.

lol at the idea that Endgame was less 'dragging on' than this film. To each their own I suppose.

I'm looking forward to watching it again to pick up on little things I missed the first time.  It really was excellent.  And I thought the slow burn of the movie worked the best.  Like the first rise and fall on a roller coaster.  

On 10/17/2019 at 4:10 PM, DawgX said:

I heard some places weren't letting people purchase tickets by themselves to go see this movie. LOL

That's just sad.  

12 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

That was mostly self-defense.  I was referring to the guy who sold him the gun who came to check up on him.  

Agreed. 

Although I don’t know if the last guy he killed would fall under self-defense. In fact, that was straight up murder. Did I feel bad about it? Hell no. But by the letter of the law, that was straight up murder. 

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Agreed. 

Although I don’t know if the last guy he killed would fall under self-defense. In fact, that was straight up murder. Did I feel bad about it? Hell no. But by the letter of the law, that was straight up murder. 

Yeah that's why I said mostly.  I'd imagine he might've been charged with manslaughter at the very least.  He's also get charged with inciting a riot and whatever other charges could be added.

Also, he straight up murdered Murray on live TV.