Joker

Mox

11 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Not all the versions of the Joker were criminal masterminds. Joker was Batmans most difficult foe because he had no boundaries and was completely unpredictable. Batman can always gain the edge on someone when he figures them out. But that's just it with the Joker which this movie stayed true too. You cant figure someone like this out, he has no real goal, nothing but pain and hate driving him, and anything can set him off. 

Fair enough, but I think any versions that aren't are pretty weaksauce.

Like, near the start of the movie, Arthur gets punked by a group of kids. Nothing changes in regards to his skill or ability over the movie. He just gets a gun, and all of a sudden we're supposed to believe that he's this super dangerous villain.

This character would be outsmarted by Batman, any cop worth his badge, or half of the people in this thread. Unpredictability only takes you so far. There's nothing in this movie that showed he was anything more than just a crazy guy.

37 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

In fairness, Bruce is still a kid. The joker has about 20 years to develop into what he is known as. 

Might not even be the real Joker. Todd Phillips even admitted as much, stating Arthur could simply be the inspiration for the real Joker.

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Might not even be the real Joker. Todd Phillips even admitted as much, stating Arthur could simply be the inspiration for the real Joker.

Especially since the real Joker's real name is Jack, not Arthur.

I just saw it on Friday, it was a damn good movie, though the theater shenanigans I'm sure you've all been hearing about took place at my theater as well, though they were less conspicuous about it. They didn't post any signs, they simply sold tickets at concessions. Like having to go inside is gonna be much of a deterrent for crazies who will kill somebody because of a MOVIE.  xD

7 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Fair enough, but I think any versions that aren't are pretty weaksauce.

Like, near the start of the movie, Arthur gets punked by a group of kids. Nothing changes in regards to his skill or ability over the movie. He just gets a gun, and all of a sudden we're supposed to believe that he's this super dangerous villain.

This character would be outsmarted by Batman, any cop worth his badge, or half of the people in this thread. Unpredictability only takes you so far. There's nothing in this movie that showed he was anything more than just a crazy guy.

The cops under estimated and didn't take him seriously. That was kind of the selling point of his character just being invisible to the world. Actually Batman did the same thing in TDK when he went after the mob instead of the joker, stating "he's just one man".

3 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Especially since the real Joker's real name is Jack, not Arthur.

I just saw it on Friday, it was a damn good movie, though the theater shenanigans I'm sure you've all been hearing about took place at my theater as well, though they were less conspicuous about it. They didn't post any signs, they simply sold tickets at concessions. Like having to go inside is gonna be much of a deterrent for crazies who will kill somebody because of a MOVIE.  xD

Most common name used but not officially the real name. Besides Arthur was adopted, who's to say he name before wasn't Jack?

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Most common name used but not officially the real name. Besides Arthur was adopted, who's to say he name before wasn't Jack?

IIRC, it's canon that Batman learns the real name of the joker while using the god chair(something like that?) and it turns out there are 3 jokers.  

Considering the time period, it might be more the origin of the Joker identity as a whole, not necessarily this one person.

Haven't seen it yet though, so I might change my mind on that thought.

Took the wife to this on Friday.

She absolutely loved it.  She loved the character development and how JP portrayed the Joker.

I thought it was very good, but didn't "love" it.

As stated, it dragged a little.  I too felt like the whole Thomas Wayne thing was forced into the plot.  It didn't need to be there.

But I did very much enjoy watching Arthur transform into the Joker.  He was excellent.

As an origin story?  I feel underwhelmed.

As a character sketch for a movie?  Incredible.  

So, I just took the movie for what it was, and it was very good.

Didn't see why there was all the hub bub about the violence.

One quick thing for those who know....I watched a digital movie of Batman once called "The Killing Joke".

In it, the Joker flashes back to his first days of stand up.  I thought that whole scene...the night club....was 100% similar to that flashback in The Killing Joke.

Did anyone else catch that?   ...or am I off base?

• Like 1

A really good 3rd act saves this.

Has some pretty good depth of characterization (even though some things that happened are predictable and trite)

I agree that it would be better without the Batman elements. Those seem shoehorned in, and were just done to make the movie more money.

Phoenix obviously with a great performance.

The hype/backlash for/against this movie are both highly unwarranted.

Its good, but not great.

7/10

6 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

IIRC, it's canon that Batman learns the real name of the joker while using the god chair(something like that?) and it turns out there are 3 jokers.  

Considering the time period, it might be more the origin of the Joker identity as a whole, not necessarily this one person.

Haven't seen it yet though, so I might change my mind on that thought.

It's a comic book. There is no such thing as canon, just multiple versions.

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

One quick thing for those who know....I watched a digital movie of Batman once called "The Killing Joke".

In it, the Joker flashes back to his first days of stand up.  I thought that whole scene...the night club....was 100% similar to that flashback in The Killing Joke.

Did anyone else catch that?   ...or am I off base?

They definitely took it from KJ.

• Like 3