Raiders hire Mike Mayock as GM

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, G said:

I agree and Nate B. is showing this skill and it's why his TV presence is expanding. MM has it and it's subtle. It's harder to manage peers because EGO gets in the way. He knows when to speak and when to listen. It is a skill that many don't have and are horrible managers. My boss tells me to do something and I know it's a choice to keep things as they are or when to 'rock the boat'  I had a boss like that and she lost 75% of her staff and she lost her job and will probably never be hired to manage again. She lacked the skill and took things personally so she was the 'control freak' and it didn't work. I'm a control freak normally but when I've managed people I follow the guidelines from books by Bristol, Carnege and Hill. 

I recently stepped down from my management position to spend more time with family and I make more money also.  New management has taken it personal that a lot of employees come to me for advice still.  It has put a lot of strain on my relationship with upper management but I still outperform almost everyone so they put up with it.  They want to put their mark on the company which I understand but they need to find areas that need to be fixed not just change to make a change.  That is where ego comes in and I hope that is where Mayock and Gruden will be different.  I could be wrong but I think Mayock will come in and try to build on what the positives are and take the deficiencies in his own direction.

6 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Agree just my opinion. Just Spit balling trying to make sense of reg’s moves (trades compensation/draft picks/ coaching hires & fires/ fa) etc. Again I’m not a nfl executive so I’m just spit balling. 

I get it. It just has nothing to really do with talent eval or trade comp eval, which were the main gripes people had with Reggie.

Edited by NightTrainLane

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I understand but they need to find areas that need to be fixed not just change to make a change.  

That's why Carr will be so interesting. Gruden wanted a proven QB and got it, but will a team offer enough picks that he lets us tank another season to go after a rookie QB this or next year?

If it's not broke, don't fix it and focus on what needs to be fixed. Your situation sounds like an interesting tight rope walk of when to help and when to step back. I get offered promotions to management but I've done the numbers and the next level up makes less than me because of OT and double time that I get. Once salary it... well it's different. The last two who got promoted above me have went back or are about to go back. Gotta make sure the ladder goes up and be what one really wants. Much respect for those who focus on family. I've got friends who work more to get away from their family. Glad I'm not in that situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

You are really digging in on his vocab hahahaha.

First off, I have never noticed anything of concern in that area. If you have, you were looking for it and, once again, that reflects on you and not Reggie.

You probably right I’m a vocabulary junky my fav words are insatiable and precocious lol

fav book “how to read a person like a book” I’m big a gestures and body movements during conversation lol

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

6 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

You are really digging in on his vocab hahahaha.

First off, I have never noticed anything of concern in that area. If you have, you were looking for it and, once again, that reflects on you and not Reggie.

Nighttrain, you made some good points in the last page or so which i agree with. There is a reason why RM could make al these careermoves over all these years with all these teams.

Having said that i can understand why Ncough starts on RM's "vocab" since i've seen the same. I agree with you it is likely not a problem, but i dont think its ncough 'looking for it'

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

Thank you for posting that! 😃

I can’t wait to see how he handles our offseason. I’m excited! Hurry up combine!  We might actually win a trade now haha. 

I don't think he is going to really change our ability to get good value perse, but I think he is going to be excellent at determining WHEN to trade down depending on the value on the board. 

25 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't think he is going to really change our ability to get good value perse, but I think he is going to be excellent at determining WHEN to trade down depending on the value on the board. 

I agree with the value part but I doubt he is going to fold like the Reggie trade downs. I believe he will make better decisions but it’s all conjecture at this point we won’t know until it happens. I’m just excited to see our new direction.