2018-2019 Offseason Thread (Season Concludes)

gopherwrestler

3 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I don't disagree with the bolded one bit. The fact is that every team, every year can go back and point to a few specific plays that would've changed the season.

1. Make one kick against the Packers? We're in the playoffs. 
*Packers fans could use this game in their favor as well

2. Show up against the Bills? We're in the playoffs.

3. Don't throw a pick 6 against the Saints, who knows?
*Add on the uncharacteristic fumble of Thielen in this game as well.

4. Don't throw a pick 6 against the Bears at Soldier, who knows?

5. Refs make the correct call on Bobby Wagner in Seattle? Who knows?

6. JDF sticks to the run against the Patriots, who knows?

I think you can blame Cousins for 2-4, maybe 5. Coaching gets the blame for 5 and 6. 

Offense didn't do anything in that Bills game and put the defense in bad spots.

#1 could have been a loss too which means the Vikes woukd have needed to make up an additional half game to make the playoffs. Just dumb luck in the end.

#5 doubt that missed call on the FG would have changed much. Offense was terrible. Coaching was terrible.

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think you can blame Cousins for 2-4, maybe 5. Coaching gets the blame for 5 and 6. 

100% agree.

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Offense didn't do anything in that Bills game and put the defense in bad spots.

100% agree, Bills defense was a good unit this year and Josh Allen was a difference maker for them when he played.

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

#1 could have been a loss too which means the Vikes would have needed to make up an additional half game to make the playoffs. Just dumb luck in the end.

100% agree and even noted this in my post.

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

#5 doubt that missed call on the FG would have changed much. Offense was terrible. Coaching was terrible.

I don't disagree but we would've had an opportunity to extend the drive and possibly score a TD.

7 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Anyone have thoughts on a tag and trade scenario for Barr or Richardson?  

I think there's a chance that it could be used on Barr, but no chance on Richardson.  I don't think Richardson did quite enough to warrant significant consideration at an extension, so a tag and trade is unlikely (probably less than a 1% chance).  

I'd personally re-sign Tom Johnson at the veteran minimum and have him fight it out with Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes or a draft pick.  

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think there's a chance that it could be used on Barr, but no chance on Richardson.  I don't think Richardson did quite enough to warrant significant consideration at an extension, so a tag and trade is unlikely (probably less than a 1% chance).  

I’d be fine with a Richardson extension as long as it’s fairly similar to the price he just got. No more, even with the salary increase. He didn’t quite live up to the hype, but also remember he came at a discounted price and bet on himself. 

But in no way would I consider tagging him. Nobody would tag him at the tag price for a trade to hope to lock him up long term.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I'd personally re-sign Tom Johnson at the veteran minimum and have him fight it out with Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes or a draft pick.  

Richardson is good against the pass but he just got washed out too many times in the running game to make me want to pay him anymore than what he's making now.

I'd be for letting him go into FA and if he signs elsewhere....let him go. If he's lingering around early July still unsigned....maybe he'll sign for less than what he'd command at the start of UFA.

2 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Richardson is good against the pass but he just got washed out too many times in the running game to make me want to pay him anymore than what he's making now.

I'd be for letting him go into FA and if he signs elsewhere....let him go. If he's lingering around early July still unsigned....maybe he'll sign for less than what he'd command at the start of UFA.

Wouldn't if benefit Richardson to undergo a complete off-season here though?  Our defensive coaching staff could get him in sync with the rest of the defense, which should help his run defense immensely.

6 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Wouldn't if benefit Richardson to undergo a complete off-season here though?  Our defensive coaching staff could get him in sync with the rest of the defense, which should help his run defense immensely.

Didn't he sign in March 2018 just a day or two after Kirk?

That gave him a full off-season and a full regular season with the defensive coaching staff.

Or what am I missing?

6 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Richardson did get a full offseason. 

Half of Richardson’s problem kind of looking now it he played, he is an excellent pass rusher...... but when asked to stay home he struggled. Screens were a killer on him. He’s still above average easily, but trying to stay home on running plays or screens he is just not that powerful against that. He’s basically just a younger, more athletic Tom Johnson.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Half of Richardson’s problem kind of looking now it he played, he is an excellent pass rusher...... but when asked to stay home he struggled. Screens were a killer on him. He’s still above average easily, but trying to stay home on running plays or screens he is just not that powerful against that. He’s basically just a younger, more athletic Tom Johnson.

Which is why I would be fine letting him go.

I liked what Richardson brought early in the season, but this defense is most successful when it can put the offense behind schedule... to do that, we've got to stop the run.  Chicago's first drive of the game where they basically ran it for 70 yards was embarrassing. Another year of development for both Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes, Tom Johnson brought back on another one year deal, and a draft pick in this incredible DT draft should at least be on par with what we had this year.

Richardson might have more value to us as a potential compensatory pick qualifying loss.

Archived