Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dll2000

League 2019 off season

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

The Lions won't be keeping Jim Bob Cooter around, odd move.

not really. other than a couple years ago when stafford tore things up, the lion's offense hasn't been great, especially their run game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've been in the top half of the league in offensive DVOA since he's been there. That's with only 1 season of Calvin Johnson and a roster that doesn't have much offensive talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Why?  He has been a pretty mediocre head coach in Miami. 

I think Gase is a good OC but as a head coach meh..doesn't seem like a very likable guy from what has been coming out of his former players' mouths.  I could see him and Arod butting heads a lot.

Goodness no. He did a fantastic job in Miami. Made them (by and large) a solid, competitive team--when those handling personnel continued to make horrible decisions. Was told to stick by, and make something out of Tannehill by ownership, then was fired for doing as he was told. Ross is a joke. I'd wager Gase gets another HC job, and soon, and proceeds to prove me right about him next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Antonio Brown and Von Miller are being shopped.

Two huge existing contracts and big time players.  Should be interesting.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Apparently Antonio Brown and Von Miller are being shopped.

Two huge existing contracts and big time players.  Should be interesting.

 

 

Yeah, Brown looks like a "for sure", and Miller a "probably". It'll be fun to see what happens, as there really aren't that many viable landing spots for either. I saw someone hypothesize Brown to the Jets--could happen, would be interesting. Don't know where Miller could go. Maybe the Steelers? That would be weird. The Steelers will probably trade Bell, too. Could be a rollickin' off-season for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 4:41 PM, Heinz D. said:

Goodness no. He did a fantastic job in Miami. Made them (by and large) a solid, competitive team--when those handling personnel continued to make horrible decisions. Was told to stick by, and make something out of Tannehill by ownership, then was fired for doing as he was told. Ross is a joke. I'd wager Gase gets another HC job, and soon, and proceeds to prove me right about him next year. 

I agree and think Miami's problems were largely due to personnel. I think the same can be said for Cooter in Detroit. Both organizations seem to have larger problems than coaching.

I expect Gase to take an OC job for awhile and then get another shot as a HC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah, Brown looks like a "for sure", and Miller a "probably". It'll be fun to see what happens, as there really aren't that many viable landing spots for either. I saw someone hypothesize Brown to the Jets--could happen, would be interesting. Don't know where Miller could go. Maybe the Steelers? That would be weird. The Steelers will probably trade Bell, too. Could be a rollickin' off-season for them. 

But brown will cost the Steelers like $21 mil NOT to play for them next year due to his recent restructure. Fine if you are tanking but that isn't where the team is at. lol

I wonder if there will have to be another restructure that is pending upon Brown AND the trading team agreeing? IDK if that is even possible to be honest. And it is $22 mil for a 31 year old receiver next year. Brown is amazing but how long is he worth that? I mean it is "only" $7 mil more than Robinson but still. If you could get the average cap hit down by extending him I guess you could gamble on his play not dropping precipitously.

Going to take balls to make that move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah, Brown looks like a "for sure", and Miller a "probably". It'll be fun to see what happens, as there really aren't that many viable landing spots for either. I saw someone hypothesize Brown to the Jets--could happen, would be interesting. Don't know where Miller could go. Maybe the Steelers? That would be weird. The Steelers will probably trade Bell, too. Could be a rollickin' off-season for them. 

Those contracts make it near impossible.  Miller isn't being much of a problem though, even though he is weird.  

Brown leapt off the deep end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Sugashane said:

But brown will cost the Steelers like $21 mil NOT to play for them next year due to his recent restructure. Fine if you are tanking but that isn't where the team is at. lol

I wonder if there will have to be another restructure that is pending upon Brown AND the trading team agreeing? IDK if that is even possible to be honest. And it is $22 mil for a 31 year old receiver next year. Brown is amazing but how long is he worth that? I mean it is "only" $7 mil more than Robinson but still. If you could get the average cap hit down by extending him I guess you could gamble on his play not dropping precipitously.

Going to take balls to make that move.

NFL requires discipline other sports don't need as it is ultimate team game.  A lot of people naturally chafe at that.  They want to be like NBA players.  The non guaranteed contracts keep most crazy players in line.  Once a guy gets paid a huge contract, his real personality can come out and he can destroy a team from within. 

You have to be real careful who you give those deals to.    

Pitt enjoyed it for a bit, but now it looks like they made a mistake unless they can screw his head back on.  NYG likely did too with Beckham.  Guy is a time bomb.  

Edited by dll2000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sugashane said:

But brown will cost the Steelers like $21 mil NOT to play for them next year due to his recent restructure. Fine if you are tanking but that isn't where the team is at. lol

I wonder if there will have to be another restructure that is pending upon Brown AND the trading team agreeing? IDK if that is even possible to be honest. And it is $22 mil for a 31 year old receiver next year. Brown is amazing but how long is he worth that? I mean it is "only" $7 mil more than Robinson but still. If you could get the average cap hit down by extending him I guess you could gamble on his play not dropping precipitously.

Going to take balls to make that move.

 

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Those contracts make it near impossible.  Miller isn't being much of a problem though, even though he is weird.  

Brown leapt off the deep end. 

The trades can change the whole money situation, for both players, drastically. I think they get done, but the Miller stuff confuses me. Why not blow the Broncos up if they trade Miller? 

I've been a Tomlin fan over the years, and (I guess) bought into the standard NFL line that the Steelers are a model franchise. Now, I'm doubting all that. A good coach, and a good organization, wouldn't be in this horrible situation they now find themselves in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Arians is the favorite in Tampa Bay & Fangio is the favorite in Denver, per Allbright.

If that happens, I hope Nagy can get Bowles before Arians does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Arians is the favorite in Tampa Bay & Fangio is the favorite in Denver, per Allbright.

Peeps here in Denver seem certain that Kubiak is going to be the OC, which would imply that they’re looking at defensive head coaches. The Broncos job is a terrible one in my opinion because Elway’s an ***. I can’t wait to see how Vic’s misanthropy mixes (clashes) with Elway’s bravado. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

If that happens, I hope Nagy can get Bowles before Arians does. 

As much as I like Bowles he is a very different DC with an attacking style rather than the sit back and get takeaways Fangio likes...I would just as happily keep Donatell if at all possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×