NFC Wild Card Philadelphia @ Chicago

SBLIII

4 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

Bears had trouble stopping the eagles all game.. the score doesnt really tell how the game went.. Foles threw one pick in the endzone and another on the bears 35 yard line. 

Ya so we're not giving credit to the defense for those picks?

Bears defense only allowed 16 points yesterday which is less that the average of 17.7 that gave up all season, which was also #1 in the NFL.  Normally that is good enough to win you games, especially when you factor in the +2 turnover ratio.

Eagles played a stout game in the trenches but they were also a bit lucky to come out of Chicago with a win.

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I was wondering the same thing.  The Eagles couldn't run a lick last night and they were screwing around doing that at that point of the game?  Its a good thing for them they got the TD on 4th down there.

The classic outsmart the other team but running your smallest running back up the middle at the goal line. Theyre not expecting it...LoL Pederson does weird things. I think he knew the first run had a low chance of working and forced the Bears to burn a time out.

Just now, topwop1 said:

Bears defense only allowed 16 points yesterday which is less that the average of 17.7 that gave up all season, which was also #1 in the NFL.  Normally that is good enough to win you games, especially when you factor in the +2 turnover ratio.

Eagles played a stout game in the trenches but they were also a bit lucky to come out of Chicago with a win.

Lucky? Foles was actually picked off  to Mitch who had 3 dropped. Not sure you know what luck is.

and the FG was tipped and not even missed.

there was a whole lot of this by Chi yesterday. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5660406

13 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Exactly, which is why we shouldn't be attaching this loss to Parkey either.

I'll admit it, my  initial reaction when he missed the FG was that he deserved the blame for the loss, but it shouldn't be that way.

Yes, I suppose it is easier to place blame on one person instead of the collective where it belongs.

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

The one in the endzone was just an errant throw by nick and the one to smallwood was risky af. I had full confidence philly would win because of trubisky and the lack of run game and it helped that parkey missed back to back 45 yard pregame warmups

1 minute ago, El ramster said:

Lucky? Foles was actually picked off  to Mitch who had 3 dropped. Not sure you know what luck is.

and the FG was tipped and not even missed.

there was a whole lot of this by Chi yesterday. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5660406

Luck is the Philly defender getting a slight finger tip on the game winning FG and then it hitting two posts and bouncing out.  

But I digress.  I'm not saying Philly didn't deserve to win but this game could have really gone either way.

13 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Why the heck does Pederson run Sproles on the goal line?

16 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I was wondering the same thing.  The Eagles couldn't run a lick last night and they were screwing around doing that at that point of the game?  Its a good thing for them they got the TD on 4th down there.

I love Pederson as a HC, and have since he took over - even in his rookie year, I loved the aggression he shows in-game, and the preparation.    But I will say if there's one Achilles Pederson has, it's his undying love for Sproles.   He uses the guy in 3rd/4th and short situations when it's pretty clear he's not the guy for the job.   I get that part of the usage late in the game yesterday was to gamble and force CHI into using TO's - but overall, Pederson's usage of Sproles in short yardage situations has cost him many times.   Frankly, I think one of the reasons they won the SB was Sproles being on IR kept Pederson from going with Sproles in key situations (I kid...kinda lol).  I don't think they wanted to be in 4th and goal, and if Tate hadn't scored, man, that would have been all the talk today, not Parkey's miss and CHI's reason for losing.

I have nothing but love for Sproles as an individual, and deployed correctly, he's been a great weapon. But yeah, Pederson's love of Sproles in short-yardage is really one of the few legit weaknesses he has in his game-calling resumé.

11 minutes ago, Eagles23 said:

The classic outsmart the other team but running your smallest running back up the middle at the goal line. Theyre not expecting it...LoL Pederson does weird things. I think he knew the first run had a low chance of working and forced the Bears to burn a time out.

exactly this, i truly believe they were not trying to score on that First down play call.

It still amazes me, how under appreciated clock management can be in the NFL.

In todays NFL, all it takes is one or two pass plays to put a team into FG range, or a roughing the passer, pass interference etc etc,

Killing more of the clock on that first down play, I believe was the smart thing to do. 
If bears had 15 extra seconds and an extra time out, they win the game. 

3 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

exactly this, i truly believe they were not trying to score on that First down play call.

It still amazes me, how under appreciated clock management can be in the NFL.

In todays NFL, all it takes is one or two pass plays to put a team into FG range, or a roughing the passer, pass interference etc etc,

Killing more of the clock on that first down play, I believe was the smart thing to do. 
If bears had 15 extra seconds and an extra time out, they win the game. 

To be fair that TO he took was horrendous and could have backed fired horribly. 

2 minutes ago, El ramster said:

I think he needed time to find/draw plays on the sidelines. No way that fake Philly Special was in the playbook. Even in the moment im glad he took the TO to find the right play

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I love Pederson as a HC, and have since he took over - even in his rookie year, I loved the aggression he shows in-game, and the preparation.    But I will say if there's one Achilles Pederson has, it's his undying love for Sproles.   He uses the guy in 3rd/4th and short situations when it's pretty clear he's not the guy for the job.   I get that part of the usage late in the game yesterday was to gamble and force CHI into using TO's - but overall, Pederson's usage of Sproles in short yardage situations has cost him many times.   Frankly, I think one of the reasons they won the SB was Sproles being on IR kept Pederson from going with Sproles in key situations (I kid...kinda lol).  I don't think they wanted to be in 4th and goal, and if Tate hadn't scored, man, that would have been all the talk today, not Parkey's miss and CHI's reason for losing.

I have nothing but love for Sproles as an individual, and deployed correctly, he's been a great weapon. But yeah, Pederson's love of Sproles in short-yardage is really one of the few legit weaknesses he has in his game-calling resumé.

Dude!! you nailed it on the head. It was a blessing in disguise that sproles went to IR because it forced Doug to play Ajayi, Clement, and Blount last year.. Too many times he relies on Sproles for short yardage situations and it just baffles everyone.. Sproles is best used in limitation. He's change of pace type back, split him out wide or have him run a wheel route with the circumstances call for it

39 minutes ago, Pugger said:
13 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Why the heck does Pederson run Sproles on the goal line?

I was wondering the same thing.  The Eagles couldn't run a lick last night and they were screwing around doing that at that point of the game?  Its a good thing for them they got the TD on 4th down there

Was very questionable, I think they didn’t necessarily want to score the first one though.

apparently they had a read in there to just do that if the main play looked covered cause they had to sit on their timeouts some. Would’ve rather the option just be Nick shoving through the line from under center. They were close enough that two shoves from Nick would’ve gotten the job done. Or have that ball to Alshon go to the corner of the endzone.

Apparently the whole point was to do that 2point play, Fake Philly Special

30 minutes ago, Eagles23 said:
34 minutes ago, El ramster said:

I think he needed time to find/draw plays on the sidelines. No way that fake Philly Special was in the playbook. Even in the moment im glad he took the TO to find the right play

it was in there, I’m sure they have many iterations of that play.

it wasnt the smartest TO, but best to make sure the play works and get the right personnel than sit on them and fail I guess

Archived