Cardinals finalizing deal with Kliff Kingsburry as next Head Coach

49erurtaza

I'm a Rams fan who went to UofA, worked for the football team and lived in Scottsdale for a while so I root lightly for the Cards. I don't get this hire at all. 35-40. Ran away the Heisman trophy winner/possible NFL ROY for Davis Webb and took the NFL MVP to a 5-7 record... You can't just expect to hire a DC to go along with the offense either. Look at what SB champion Wade is doing currently. This will however spark a lot of interest and attention to the Birds. I like the guy as an OC and person a lot so I'll be rooting for him, but I just don't get it.

This is wild but congrats on officially becoming my 3rd favorite team. Already were because I was born in Tempe but now it’s official lol.

Let me know if you have any questions about KK, I’m a Texas Tech fan/alum who got to Tech in January 2013, about a month after Kingsbury did so I’ve watched every game he’s coached the last 6 years. 

1 hour ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

This is wild but congrats on officially becoming my 3rd favorite team. Already were because I was born in Tempe but now it’s official lol.

Let me know if you have any questions about KK, I’m a Texas Tech fan/alum who got to Tech in January 2013, about a month after Kingsbury did so I’ve watched every game he’s coached the last 6 years. 

No more recruiting, academics and boosters.  It’s a level-“er”playing field and he can focus on being a tactician.  They need to hit a HR hire at DC and fix the OL or he can be McVay on steroids and it won’t matter.

What?  The guy was 35 and 40 in six years Texas Tech.  A losing record an no he did not make Patrick Mahomes.  Patrick Mahomes would have been a solid QB regardless if he went to Texas Tech or not.  

I feel this is a crazy reach because they believe for some stupid reason that Kingsbury is on the cusp of being some genius offensive head coach.  No he did not create Patrick Mahomes and Mahomes success is to do with the system and Andy Reid along with his basic arm talent and running/throwing ability, not Kliff Kingsbury.    He is not some great head coach, if anyone should be a head coach in the NFL it would be Mike Leach not Kingsbury, but that would never happen.  Heck would could say former Leach coaches Lincoln Riley or Dana Holgorsen would be better head coach potential in the NFL, especially Lincoln Riley.  Not freaking wanna be Ryan Gosling Kliff Kingsbury.  Bad move by the Cardinals I feel, really desperate.  

38 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

It's bold, real bold. I'll hold out till I see who we hire as our DC. 

Yeah, definitely a bit off the wall.  Figured they'd go with a more established HC, but they're clearly putting all their eggs in Josh Rosen's basket.

21 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

No more recruiting, academics and boosters.  It’s a level-“er”playing field and he can focus on being a tactician.  They need to hit a HR hire at DC and fix the OL or he can be McVay on steroids and it won’t matter.

Agree with the first part.

I don't think playcalling is something he's great at. He's great at scheming and his scripted plays are really good, but too many times we would bog down on offense past the first few drives.

On 1/8/2019 at 3:45 PM, DirtyDez said:

Yes, it is a more level playing field, but the thing about college is that a great coach should be making it an unlevel playing field. Even at Texas Tech, if he's a great coach, he should be winning. Leach won a lot more games there. Now, I can't write off this hire because there are good NFL HCs who weren't especially good in college. Maybe Kingsbury isn't a good recruiter. But it's a weird hire on its face.

I've really liked a lot of the assistants we've brought in. Kugler has a lot of experience and Raih from what I've read is pretty well regarded. 

Vance Joseph isn't my first choice but I still like his hire. Billy Davis is a terrible DC but I'll trust he's good as a LB coach. 

ST were pretty good last year so I like hiring Rogers

Avoiding the Sark hire is awesome too. 

4 hours ago, PizzaPusher said:

I’m hearing Philbin now. I’d actually prefer that. 

Philbin would be a terrible choice. Boring predictable offense. We had that last year. I’d prefer DeFilippo because of the success he had in Philadelphia. We know Kingsbury will be calling plays so I think he would be a great fit

Archived