Around The League V.2

Totty

12 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Excited to see them against the Cowboys defense next Sunday. That will be the first real test to see if Purdy can continue playing this ball control style offense with his skill positions. 

Impressive thing about the 49ers is how bad they can whiff in the draft on certain picks, but still absolutely nail others. 

He'll do fine because I believe Prescott will give up the game

47 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Saints fans ready to fire the OC already. They needed to rebuild, instead through 100 mil gtd for west coast Andy Dalton. 

Not even a Carr thing for me, he's looked crap, but I really don't know what on earth they saw in Dennis Allen and his staff over the last couple seasons to go "yeah, these are the guys". 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Not even a Carr thing for me, he's looked crap, but I really don't know what on earth they saw in Dennis Allen and his staff over the last couple seasons to go "yeah, these are the guys". 

Allen is a great defensive coach. Always thought he got the worst gig ever at the time in Oakland, but the Saints offensive staff isn't very good and even with Carr they're barely contenders even with the firepower they have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Dennis Allen is another coordinator that just isn’t made out to be a HC. Great DC as his defenses always good. But as a HC he struggles 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

So you’re still defending Carr and putting all blame on the coaching. A Carr die-hard where he can do no wrong til the very end 😅

1 hour ago, RaiderX said:

Allen is a great defensive coach. Always thought he got the worst gig ever at the time in Oakland, but the Saints offensive staff isn't very good and even with Carr they're barely contenders even with the firepower they have.

Carr hasn't looked good, no doubt. It's inexcusable. 

But yeah, Allen is a good coordinator that can't run a full team. Reminds me of a Steve Spagnuolo. Great coordinator, not good at being a head guy. The Saints were another team supposedly a QB away from contending, but at some point it falls on the HC's staff decisions as well. I didn't think the Saints were "a QB away" in the first place at the time they signed Carr- Kamara's status was up in the air, Thomas hadn't played in like 3 years pretty much, amd Olave has a bit of a drop issue. They got everyone back and reloaded a bit, but it's still mediocre and has been for a few years, even before Brees retired. 

Nothing about the Saints screamed success to me, regardless of who they put at QB. I thought Carr would do better in Carolina personally. But who knows. The Saints offensive staff leaves a lot to be desired with or without Carr as QB though, and they falls on the HC's decision making. What Allen saw in Carmichael as a play caller (he was just a figurehead under Payton) I don't know, and Ronald Curry seems miscast as passing game coordinator. 

I always found the promotion of Allen to be odd, if only because of the shift from an offensive HC to a defensive HC. The Saints offense was Payton and Brees with a side of Pete Carmichael and Joe Lombardi. I figured when Payton left, there would be a complete overhaul. Instead, the Saints opted for a lot of staff continuity, but it felt like they were just keeping the scrap heap together from the Payton era to me. Allen just never struck me as the HC in waiting.

The Saints typically had a designated Assistant Head Coach under Payton (usually Joe Vitt or Dan Campbell) and the Assistant HC in Payton's last year, Ryan Nielsen, was still on staff last year. Maybe I'm putting too much stock in the AHC designation, but I would've thought Nielsen was being groomed to take over for Payton before I would've thought Dennis Allen. 

Anyway, screw that organization anyway. Them failing pleases me greatly regardless. 

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

Man - I wanted Witherspoon so bad!!!

I’ve only seen one game of theirs but he looks promising, liked both him and Gonzalez with Witherspoon rated slightly higher for me as he just had that Raider feistiness 😀

• Like 1