Around The League V.2

Totty

Just now, big_palooka said:

Same. No mobility, he's a sitting duck. Fields at least keeps them honest in his ability to scramble. 

My thing with playing field as we already played the better version which is Lamar Jackson. My take is we already know how to stop the mobile quarterback

45 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

My thing with playing field as we already played the better version which is Lamar Jackson. My take is we already know how to stop the mobile quarterback

Sure, but would you rather play the guy who can make plays of schedule on third down or the guy who stands there and takes sacks?  And Fields is a terrific passer.

Either way... the Raiders should be up for the challenge. Fields clearly gives them something else to contend with vs. Dalton. 

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Sure, but would you rather play the guy who can make plays of schedule on third down or the guy who stands there and takes sacks?  And Fields is a terrific passer.

Either way... the Raiders should be up for the challenge. Fields clearly gives them something else to contend with vs. Dalton. 

It seems like..

1. Dalton knows the offense better(having played for Bill Lazor the OC in Cincinnati)

2. Get the ball out of his hands quick. Which could lead to him being sacked more

By contrast, Fields(who is a rookie)

1. Doesn't look to have a full grasp of the playbook. When that happens with running quarterbacks is they have a tendency to look to run first. He's not as athletic as Lamar Jackson so it's not going to be a problem containing him. It's also worth noting that there are reports that they want to start Dalton if he could go(which may be proof that he doesn't have a grasp of the offense) 

2. He also seems to hold onto the ball really long because he's looking for a running lane which could lead to him getting sacked more. 

Also he doesn't look that great as a passer(not saying that he's garbage because it's too early to tell that)

You can see all of what I'm talking about right here

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I personally would rather face Dalton as well. For the reasons you mentioned. But also just because Andy Dalton doesn't strike fear into anyone. He can be serviceable, and can make the necessary passes to win some games from time to time, but their margin for error to earn victories with him is much smaller. The OL has to pass protect well, the OL needs to be good in run blocking, the backs have to find the holes and pick up yards, because Dalton isn't a guy you want throwing 40 times and he's not helping chip in on the rushing attack. The defense has to play well because Dalton isn't spotting them a bunch of points that is going to allow mistakes. And the offense will have to sustain longer drives. 

We don't know if Fields will be successful in the NFL, but we have a pretty good idea that if he is successful the things he will be able to do at a high level. He certainly will be better than Dalton at buying time, avoiding sacks, extending plays and picking up yards with his feet, and the kid as a prospect showed high level skills that could translate to the NFL with his ability to make big plays with his legs, down the field on designed passes, and create big plays when the play breaks down. 

I'd much rather face Dalton on the back end of his career than face Fields. But I also absolutely loved Fields as a prospect. I wouldn't say I'd be afraid to play any rookie QB jn particular because even the best rookies can be confused, can be baited, and can just naturally be confused or not read the defense correctly and gift you some mistakes. I don't really feel Naggy and company are offensive geniuses either, and we will be facing a QB regardless that has spent a fair amount of time (as in more than the entrenched starters) splitting reps in camp with another QB. But still, Fields gives their offense a significantly higher ceiling, even if it comes with a lower floor. And our defense has looked improved but not exactly so good that we can count on our defense being one of the ones that makes for a nightmare against a blue chip rookie QB that doesn't have any NFL tape to pick apart.

I don't really agree with the Lamar Jackson point either. Yeah the team game planned for him week 1, but I'm not sure that translates all that well. Fields is a much more developed passes, especially when it comes to touch, anticipation, etc than Lamar as a prospect, and really maybe at this moment. Meanwhile Lamar is a much more aggressive, willing, and dangerous runner than even Fields. Fields is a prospect that is a good runner and can definitely make plays, Lamar is the best runner of the football the QB position has ever known. 

One thing I can say with 100% conviction is that I am glad we are talking about playing against Fields and the Bears as opposed to Fields and the Broncos. On draft day I was positive they were taking him, and I immediately started having nightmares of playing him, Herbert, and Mahomes 6 times a year. Surtain is a heck of a prospect, and he may end up being great, but if Fields ends up being what I think he will based on what I saw of him in college, we still will have dodged a huge bullet. 

• Like 1

Just watching the Panthers Texans game and it says something when Maliek Collins looks better on the Texans than he ever did under Paul Guenther..........PG was that bad! Blacklock looks good though.

With regard Burns I wasn't that impressed, Crosby is better overall I think. Burns is fast and explosive as a pass rusher but just gets obliterated when a blocker squares him up.  Haason Reddick looks like the better pass rusher to me?

Very interesting to see Darnold now he's escaped the debacle that is the Jets.......

Edited by Darbsk