Kyler Murray QB OU

49erurtaza

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

And a year ago, a bunch of people doubted Baker. A few years ago, a bunch of people doubted Wilson. If people think Murray doesn't have the goods, that's fine. But you're going to have to do better than "he's too small" for me. I've learned from my mistake with Russell Wilson.

You really need to work on the reading comprehension, because that isn't all I've been writing about.

He's played a total of 14 games and was significantly worse in his biggest game in his career. 

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

You really need to work on the reading comprehension, because that isn't all I've been writing about.

He's played a total of 14 games and was significantly worse in his biggest game in his career. 

No, I don't. You already admitted earlier that his size scares you. And you focused on his size in that post. Don't try to hide from that. Your two other big complaints seem to be him being "rattled" against Alabama and him lacking experience. Experience isn't something I particularly value. But getting rattled would be significant if true. I haven't evaluated that game, so I am not going to debate you on that until I do. However, Murray playing worse against one of CFB's top defenses isn't surprising.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

No, I don't. You already admitted earlier that his size scares you. And you focused on his size in that post. Don't try to hide from that. Your two other big complaints seem to be him being "rattled" against Alabama and him lacking experience. Experience isn't something I particularly value. But getting rattled would be significant if true. I haven't evaluated that game, so I am not going to debate you on that until I do. However, Murray playing worse against one of CFB's top defenses isn't surprising.

Ah, you DID read them. I appreciate that. 

Just please don't zero in on one thing if you are aware of the others. It's disingenuous.

3 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Ah, you DID read them. I appreciate that. 

Just please don't zero in on one thing if you are aware of the others. It's disingenuous.

I wasn't accusing you of only picking that one thing. I was using "you" in a general form. I responded to your post because you discussed Baker, and I felt it was worth pointing out that many people doubted Baker for a number of reasons, including his size. If people are going to write the kid off, it needs to be for more than just him being small.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I wasn't accusing you of only picking that one thing. I was using "you" in a general form. I responded to your post because you discussed Baker, and I felt it was worth pointing out that many people doubted Baker for a number of reasons, including his size. If people are going to write the kid off, it needs to be for more than just him being small.

Sorry, I was replying (should have quoted) to @Humble_Beast who had made the comparison in the first place. 

I think the size thing is a valid concern because not only because he is short, but because he's also slight and light. Plus running is an essential part of his game so he's going to be taking some hits on top of what he would already be subject to in the pocket. And I don't think the Baker/Wilson/Brees arguments on height shouldn't abate the criticisms of Murray's height; he's probably under 5'10".

That said, he's extremely, extremely athletic and can get out of a lot of tight spots. Further, being small means he might be subject to less direct shots as he'll be a tough target for defenders to hit squarely.

Considering the current NFL landscape, he's definitely going in the first round and my initial impressions are that he's a better prospect than Lamar Jackson from last year's draft. As a player, he reminds me what some wanted Vernon Adams to be, except with the arm strength and athleticism to have NFL success.

5 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Considering the current NFL landscape, he's definitely going in the first round and my initial impressions are that he's a better prospect than Lamar Jackson from last year's draft.

This is exactly where I come out on this. And who knows? NFL teams get weird. He could end up being a consensus top 3 pick by the time this process ends. I doubt it, but QB mania is a thing and Baker Mayfield showed that you can throw conventionalism out the window when it comes to taking QB's high in the draft.    (Yes I know there are other better QB's than Mayfield that are short, but they weren't drafted highly)

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I think the size thing is a valid concern because not only because he is short, but because he's also slight and light. Plus running is an essential part of his game so he's going to be taking some hits on top of what he would already be subject to in the pocket. And I don't think the Baker/Wilson/Brees arguments on height shouldn't abate the criticisms of Murray's height; he's probably under 5'10".

That said, he's extremely, extremely athletic and can get out of a lot of tight spots. Further, being small means he might be subject to less direct shots as he'll be a tough target for defenders to hit squarely.

Considering the current NFL landscape, he's definitely going in the first round and my initial impressions are that he's a better prospect than Lamar Jackson from last year's draft. As a player, he reminds me what some wanted Vernon Adams to be, except with the arm strength and athleticism to have NFL success.

I agree with what you said, and yeah if Jackson was a 1st rounder then for sure Murray has a chance because Murray is a better passer.  As a player and QB in college only comparison athletically that comes to mind for me is Antwaan Randle El.  That guy was electric athletically and so damn quick and fast back there, but clearly Murray has a way better throwing arm and it is not even close.  Obviously Randle El did not play QB in the NFL but he was a hell of a special teams player and a nice weapon at WR.

Only other QB this short in the NFL to succeed would be clearly Doug Flutie that I can think of.  Had some success but was in a different time where offense was far more difficult than it is currently because of the rules.  

Still it is insane that Lincoln Riley is not a NFL coach and Fing Kliff Kingsbury is.  If anyone is an innovative offensive mind it would be Riley but I am not sure he wanted to leave Oklahoma at this point.  Those OU offenses the past three years have been wildly impressive and the seamless transition from Baker to Kyler is crazy and both had great success obviously and won the Heisman trophy...

On 1/9/2019 at 10:08 PM, Bullet Club said:

I don't get it with him. He's not a legit NFL QB to me. Plus he's going to get snapped in half.

Why because he’s small? 5’6” 180 lb Tarik Cohen is one of the most durable players on the Bears team. Has yet to miss a game in his 2 year career, and iirc didn’t miss a single college game either.

Archived