Chargers vs Patriots: Divisional Round

bomont

3 hours ago, CKS97 said:

How does a team with all that talent, all those Pro Bowlers, All Pros, a team that has won in bad weather on the road, a team that played 0 indoor games all season.... get boatraced by a team with a 41 year old QB, a 67 year old coach, and a C+ roster?

Is it as simple as Belichick? Or playing in that Gillette icebox?

Like, is coaching such a strength that Belichick basically cancels out any roster or talent weakness/gaps?

Gillette icebox wasn't that cold though, will be colder next week.

3 hours ago, CKS97 said:

How does a team with all that talent, all those Pro Bowlers, All Pros, a team that has won in bad weather on the road, a team that played 0 indoor games all season.... get boatraced by a team with a 41 year old QB, a 67 year old coach, and a C+ roster?

Like, is coaching such a strength that Belichick basically cancels out any roster or talent weakness/gaps?

I think people have been underrating the Pats all year.  I’ve heard nothing but Brady and Belichick are done, and the team is mediocre.  Never mentioned was the fact that they’re a top ten defense and a top 5 offense.  Yes they are worse on the road, but so is practically every other team.  They are in the AFCCG for a reason, stats aren’t inflated.

5 hours ago, CKS97 said:

It was quite a textbook - if unexpected - Patriots win in some ways.

On offense, the scheme was about stopping the pass rush. Lots of running at the DEs, lots of quick throws. TEs were in to block most of the time. The Chargers defense played zone, and the shifty Pats WRs were able to find the soft spots. And the run sucess opened up the deep plays down the seams. It was how the Pats have always beaten zone teams, and how they always torch Bradley's defenses.

On defense, BB put Gilmore on an Island with Allen and doubled everyone else. The Chargers - panicked by the ease with which the Pats O was scoring - felt the need to score fast and abandoned the run much too early. Opting for low-percentage deep-shots against one of the better secondaries in the league. This played right into BB's hands, who was obviously hoping to exploit River's lack of mobility by blitzing every play and knocking him off rhythm.

It was a simple strategy. Executed well by disciplined and well coached players.

Also, Tom Brady is still Tom Brady - I think a lot of box-score watchers were looking at his stats and expecting 2015 Peyton Manning out there.

47 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Did the Chargers have no linebackers left or something? Is that why they had to resort to this 7 DBs on the field yesterday?

We were down to Hayes Pullard and Kyle Emmanuel at LB but in any case it wasn't the reason we lost. Most in this thread got it right in that it was Gus Bradley's stubbornness to not blitz Brady and not play man coverage until TB hanged 35 on us. 

Idk what to think of Gus because his scheme brought us all these win this year and legit great defense. Games like this though remind you why he was canned in Seattle and Jacksonville. No ability to adjust for what's happening on the field.

8 minutes ago, Classic said:

dk what to think of Gus because his scheme brought us all these win this year and legit great defense. Games like this though remind you why he was canned in Seattle and Jacksonville. No ability to adjust for what's happening on the field.

That’s it exactly. Besides in Seattle his mentality was we’re line up in what we are in and you have to try and beat us. That’s what their success was built on. Seattle rarely blitzed too. 

He didn’t get canned in Seattle, he left for a HC gig. 

16 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

The chargers are a 12 win team that was top ten on both sides of the ball that was completely  dominated 

Because the Patriots apparently ONLY give a damn when they play in their precious home stadium.

52 minutes ago, CKS97 said:

I can't believe Bosa and Ingram got minimal if any pressure.

Old Man Scarnecchia seemingly never runs out of magic.

Well it's hard to get pressure when the ball leaves Brady's hands so quick.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:19 AM, Classic said:

We were down to Hayes Pullard and Kyle Emmanuel at LB but in any case it wasn't the reason we lost. Most in this thread got it right in that it was Gus Bradley's stubbornness to not blitz Brady and not play man coverage until TB hanged 35 on us. 

Idk what to think of Gus because his scheme brought us all these win this year and legit great defense. Games like this though remind you why he was canned in Seattle and Jacksonville. No ability to adjust for what's happening on the field.

As upset as I was with Bradley, at least the defense managed to adjust in the 2nd half and hold the Patriots to only 6 points. And no, I don't believe for a second that a Belichick led team decided to play it safe in the second half even when leading by 4 TDs.

The biggest gripe is still with the offense. There was still a chance, however small, for a comeback. But literally punting on every down except the opening series of both halves isn't going to cut it.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

As upset as I was with Bradley, at least the defense managed to adjust in the 2nd half and hold the Patriots to only 6 points. And no, I don't believe for a second that a Belichick led team decided to play it safe in the second half even when leading by 4 TDs.

The biggest gripe is still with the offense. There was still a chance, however small, for a comeback. But literally punting on every down except the opening series of both halves isn't going to cut it.

They did slow down a bit in the 2nd half, though. In the 1st half they had 29 passes and 18 rushes. In the 2nd half, 15 passes and 16 rushes. I will grant you that the Patriots are not the type of team to let their foot off the gas, however.

Archived