2019 Draft: Targets

G08

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I am about 90% sure all this RB news is a smokescreen for the 3rd round...I reckon we go either OLB or TE...

I think we are doing our homework on which of these guys falls to the 4th and probably even the 5th rounds.

What is the "RB News", anyway?

Curious. 

36 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

TE heavy offense and Shaheen has been injured or too slow to be effective in the passing game.

A major issue in the playoffs wasn’t Shaheens inability to threaten the Eagles.

It would not shock me at all if TE was there too pickPick

I’m still not convinced Shaheen was healthy when he came back last year. The guy we saw in the preseason was FAST. The one we saw in the second half of the season very much was not. 

That said, Nagy wasn’t here when he was drafted. 

I'd like to see the Bears pick a TE with one of their first few picks to take advantage of the quality of this year's class. There are several interesting prospects that seem like good fits for an inline role in Nagy's offense (e.g. Warring).

I'd also like to see them bring in some competition at CB and OL.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m still not convinced Shaheen was healthy when he came back last year. The guy we saw in the preseason was FAST. The one we saw in the second half of the season very much was not. 

He literally is never healthy. He came back for a game and got concussed on his knot target.

He is either injured or slow. 

He is a good blocker and has value to the team, but he is a non factor as a pass catcher till he can show he is healthy and can beat Hicks in a 40.

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

With comp picks all but locked up for Amos and Callahan, I am more inclined to use our 2020 2nd round pick, not the Raiders, to possibly make a move up for a RB that they feel strongly about.

If the "right" RB is one of the factors in the offense not taking a sizeable step in 2019, I do not want to waste this year, make the move.

With two 2nds in 2020 we stand a much better shot at getting a top RB whose a perfect match for the offense.

This year you have Jacobs likely to go late round one and then a half dozen more who rank more as guys who'll go in rounds 3-4 where unless we can parlay a trade for a higher pick using Howard or we can trade up we're picking very low and may miss out on the one or two we'd prefer.

When I see their interest in Mike Weber who appears to be very much like Mike Davis or a Devin Singletary who look more like a complimentary back too me and backs who may drop to round 5 or a later, Pace seems to be preparing for not getting his guy this year but simply adding some competition and depth behind what he already has which may or may not include Howard.

If we played 2019 with Howard, Davis, Cohen, a rookie and Patterson as a wild card we'd still be better at RB than we were in 2019.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

He literally is never healthy. He came back for a game and got concussed on his knot target.

He is either injured or slow. 

He is a good blocker and has value to the team, but he is a non factor as a pass catcher till he can show he is healthy and can beat Hicks in a 40.

That was a pretty nasty looking ankle injury he had last year. The immediate reaction from most here upon seeing it was that he may be out for the year. In hindsight maybe he should have been out for the year. Before the ankle injury he was showing a lot of speed and the skill to be a valuable asset in the passing game. You even said so yourself in the GDT summary from the week before the game where he hurt the ankle. Here’s what you wrote then:

-Adam Shaheen had a nice day. The guy has some really soft hands, but it was the quickness and speed in his routes and after the catch that was awesome to see. What an additional weapon when your in-line TE can threaten in the passing game. Shaheen is going to draw the worst cover guy when all the weapons are on the field.

I don’t have many doubts whether a healthy Shaheen can be the guy you are saying we need in the passing game. That ankle won’t be an issue heading into the 2019 season any more though, and until he shows otherwise I have every expectation that the speed and quickness we all saw before he suffered the preseason injury (and the obvious upside that it presents) will again be on full display. He’s going to get every chance to be in 2019 what we expected in 2018 per-injury and because of that and the Braunecker extension I think any TE addition we see in the draft is going to be late. 

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agreed.  It's too soon to judge Shaheen based on how he looked coming off an injury that kept him out for half a season.

He's never clocked as slow and having played Div III college ball and not even that much of it he's always been a project who needed developing.  But his pre-draft scouting report call him a pass receiving TE in a Y-TE body which is still how I believe Pace sees him.

He's still on his rookie deal through 2020 so let's see what Nagy can do with him this season provided Shaheen stays uninjured.  Losing him in preseason last year was a bad break for him and us.  I still believe has has more upside than he's been able to show so far.

That said I can see us drafting another TE next month.  At the very least we need competition at TE and we may keep four of them.

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I dont think it is.

It is a critical positon is the offense with everything they ask the RB to do. 

I thinj it is a critical need if we expect the offense to jump.

I think they now have 3 guys in Davis, Cohen & Patterson who they would be happy rotation at RB...I don't think they need to force another back in there if they don't love the guy...all these guys are similar and the quality in the 3rd would be similar in the 5th. 

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think they now have 3 guys in Davis, Cohen & Patterson who they would be happy rotation at RB...I don't think they need to force another back in there if they don't love the guy...all these guys are similar and the quality in the 3rd would be similar in the 5th. 

The guys you mention are not going to be starting and Howard tips the defense too much for the offense to really be multiple when he is on the field.

The quality in the 3rd is never what it is in the 5th. Maybe in selected individual examples, but a smaller pool to pick from, when you have a lot of desires from the player is not good.

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

That was a pretty nasty looking ankle injury he had last year. The immediate reaction from most here upon seeing it was that he may be out for the year. In hindsight maybe he should have been out for the year. Before the ankle injury he was showing a lot of speed and the skill to be a valuable asset in the passing game. You even said so yourself in the GDT summary from the week before the game where he hurt the ankle. Here’s what you wrote then:

-Adam Shaheen had a nice day. The guy has some really soft hands, but it was the quickness and speed in his routes and after the catch that was awesome to see. What an additional weapon when your in-line TE can threaten in the passing game. Shaheen is going to draw the worst cover guy when all the weapons are on the field.

I don’t have many doubts whether a healthy Shaheen can be the guy you are saying we need in the passing game. That ankle won’t be an issue heading into the 2019 season any more though, and until he shows otherwise I have every expectation that the speed and quickness we all saw before he suffered the preseason injury (and the obvious upside that it presents) will again be on full display. He’s going to get every chance to be in 2019 what we expected in 2018 per-injury and because of that and the Braunecker extension I think any TE addition we see in the draft is going to be late. 

I don’t think they are going to leave the TE position to the chance that Shaheen is healthy, it would be a mistake.

He has been injured most of his 2 years in the league. It would be like relying on Kevin White lite.

Last season he was injured

ineffetcive because of injury

concussed in 1st game back

ineffective because of injury

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The guys you mention are not going to be starting and Howard tips the defense too much for the offense to really be multiple when he is on the field.

The quality in the 3rd is never what it is in the 5th. Maybe in selected individual examples, but a smaller pool to pick from, when you have a lot of desires from the player is not good.

There is no reason Davis can't start in RBBC approach...

Also I would disagree with your statement that the quality is never the same...very often it is and that's why you see reaches at certain positions...the pool is smaller...but if you do your homework right them you can still get quality players...Pace has done an excellent job in the mid rounds so I have plenty of faith in him when it comes to letting the board play out then picking a quality talent.

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

i love using another person's words against them when they contradict themselves. probably why i'm in law school right now haha

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

There is no reason Davis can't start in RBBC approach...

Also I would disagree with your statement that the quality is never the same...very often it is and that's why you see reaches at certain positions...the pool is smaller...but if you do your homework right them you can still get quality players...Pace has done an excellent job in the mid rounds so I have plenty of faith in him when it comes to letting the board play out then picking a quality talent.

Pace has done well in the middle rounds. But based on their criteria for this position drafting another Howard or even Cohen is not going to fill the role that they want.

Maybe they believe that Davis can be the lead back in a heavy committee. Personally, I think he was signed to be the 3rd down back because most rookies are slower to develop in the passing game and in protections.

16 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i love using another person's words against them when they contradict themselves. probably why i'm in law school right now haha

Because nothing changed between preseason 1 and the end of the season.

Despite the flashes and the hype from Shaheen the only thing that he has proven is that he is unreliable at this point.

I think you draft a real TE for 2 reasons

1. Shaheen continues to struggle to stay healthy and produce in the passing game and you have another option.

2. Lets say best case scenario both the draft pick and Shaheen play really well. Maybe you can say goodbye to Burton and his 8 million salary in 2020 or 2021?

Archived