2019 Draft: Targets

G08

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Davis I can buy as one half of a RBBC duo but not Patterson.  He and Cohen are our tactical weapons on offense.

If Davis can handle the power side in place of Howard then I think a faster back like Cohen but bigger should be his partner.  The only problem with this is what if Davis is injured?   In that case it had better be one of the better mid round backs like Henderson or more of another grinder like Harris who could handle it alone.

To be honest my feeling is if you're gonna do a RBBC like KC has done we need two strong backs in addition to Cohen to take us through the season and if Pace won't pay for a vet  #1a like Ware for example then he should make damn sure he drafts a quality RB who can start in a rotation in 2019.

Mike Davis has never been a 16 game starter so we don't know how well he'll hold up over 16 games a feature back in a rotation and we can't look to Cohen or Patterson to replace him in that role.  That's not their game.

Trust me, I'm not the alone one who sees the huge hole Howard's departure has created.  The media is all over it and looking to Pace to pull yet another mid round RB bunny out of his bonnet.  It's all about "In Pace We Trust" now.

We can play the “what if he’s injured” card with everyone though. Davis hasn’t been used as a feature back but he also hasn’t been injured in 3 years. Howard hasn’t missed a game in 3 years but that wouldn’t eliminate “what if he’s injured” concerns. Attrition is always a concern. 

I don’t see Patterson as part of our rotation - perhaps I didn’t make that clear before. I see him similarly to what you do as getting “Big Cohen” type use but with less volume. I’m not discounting that we need to add another RB of consequence either. If we take one in the 3rd then that’s probably that guy but if we take one a bit later I’d expect we add another more established one to insulate ourselves from that rookie being forced into a primary role. 

10 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I'd need to change my pants if they took Winovich. I love that guy.

No matter who they take in round 7, they probably won't be any good.

The whole "I hope the PK is from a cold weather city" thing it's a little overrated. Gostkowski grew up in Mississippi and went to school at Memphis. Prater went to a school in Florida but had no issues in Denver. Tucker grew up in Texas and went to UT yet has had a great career in a cold weather city.

I just wrote a comment about that trade in another post.

It's a little crazy to think Cleveland or someone else would flip a 2019 2nd to us for a 2020 2nd and a 2020 5th kicker but then I'm still in wonder of how Pace managed to get Oakland to kick back a 2020 2nd in the Mack trade.  The truth is Pace pulls off draft day trades most every year so.........

As crazy as his first three rounds go the picks do fill our three biggest needs with players we control for four years at a lower cost than paying mid level vets on one or two year deal as we've been doing.  The logic is there it's only the probability of it happening that way I'm questioning.

Winovich would be a great 2nd round pick if we could get him.  He's been compared to Kevin Greene in type and who doesn' love another edge guy who plays like his *** has been lit on fire?  Bears fans would love the guy.

Henderson would be a nice fit as a big play back paired with Mike Davis and based on what we know about Anthony Miller those Memphis kids come with chips on their shoulders looking to produce big in the NFL.

Those two picks alone would make it a successful draft at least at the outset and Pace still has his picks in rounds 4 and 5 for a SS, TE, OL, etc.  Two rookies who can play in a rotation in 2019 and two more picks to spend on BPA picks and two 7ths for speculation and a PK.  And what we traded from 2020 to get Winovich came in rounds where we already have at least two picks now.

Nice work if Pace could pull it off.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Trayveon Williams has really grown on me. The guy has great lateral agility and hits HRs in the run game.

He would be a nice middle ground between Cohen and Davis.

Excels in pass protection too which is key

What, only one comment on the crazy trade to get Winovich?

T. Williams appears to be one of those backs who can do a lot of things fairly well but may need great blocking to do them really well as a runner.  But I do like that he's accomplished what he has against SEC teams.

Overall collection of skills would seem to be a fit for what Nagy wants as a supplemental back.   Guys like him can often hang on for a long time in the NFL as 3rd down backs with blocking and receiving skills.

He's a kid I hope would fall to us in round 4 allowing us to possibly use our 3rd and a 2020 kicker to make that move for an edge guy like Winovich.  The more I think about it the more I feel like with Floyd coming off his rookie deal in 2020 and needing an extension to avoid paying him based on his 5th year option adding another rookie OLB who can contribute now makes sense.

As the cap costs for both Mack and Floyd rise eventually something may have to give and having another young OLB in the hopper is a safety net especially one on a 2nd round deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have thoughts on the idea of JJ Arcega-Whiteside as a potential big slot/move TE? Size is similar to Burton and he’s got elite ball skills and is a monster in the red zone. I’d love to get him matched up on safeties or LBs in the red zone and down the seam. Fits the Pace mold on character too. 

In my head I’m seeing 3rd downs with ARob and Miller outside with Burton and JJAW in the slot with Cohen in the backfield and then the same personnel with Davis in the backfield inside the red zone, and goal line packages with ARob and JJAW out wide for fade routes. 

A lot of good and even great players get drafted in 3rd round, but most don’t do much of anything. Gets worse when you start at 87. 

Here is a look at 2017 3rd round from 87 for illustration.  You have to draft exceedingly well to grab a good guy in that range. Just saying to temper expectations. 

3 87 New York Giants Davis Webb  QB California Pac-12  
  3 88 Oakland Raiders Eddie Vanderdoes  DT UCLA Pac-12  
  3 89 Houston Texans D'Onta Foreman  RB Texas Big 12  
  3 90 Seattle Seahawks Shaquill Griffin  CB UCF The American  
  3 91 Los Angeles Rams John Johnson  S Boston College ACC from Kansas Cityvia Buffalo [R3 - 11]
  3 92 Dallas Cowboys Jourdan Lewis  CB Michigan Big Ten  
  3 93 Green Bay Packers Montravius Adams  DT Auburn SEC  
  3 94 Pittsburgh Steelers Cameron Sutton  CB Tennessee SEC  
  3 95 Seattle Seahawks Delano Hill  S Michigan Big Ten from Atlanta [R3 - 12]
  3 96 Detroit Lions Kenny Golladay  WR Northern Illinois MAC from New England [R3 - 13]

3* 97 Miami Dolphins Cordrea Tankersley  CB Clemson ACC  
  3* 98 Arizona Cardinals Chad Williams  WR Grambling State SWAC from Carolina [R3 - 14]
  3* 99 Philadelphia Eagles Rasul Douglas  CB West Virginia Big 12 from Baltimore [R3 - 15]
  3* 100 Tennessee Titans Jonnu Smith  TE Florida International C-USA from LA Rams [R3 - 16]
  3* 101 Denver Broncos Brendan Langley  CB Lamar Southland  
  3* 102 Seattle Seahawks Nazair Jones  DT North Carolina ACC  
  3* 103 New Orleans Saints Trey Hendrickson  LB Florida Atlantic C-USA from Cleveland via New England [R3 - 17]
  3* 104 San Francisco 49ers C. J. Beathard  QB Iowa Big Ten from Kansas Cityvia Minnesota [R3 - 18]
  3* 105 Pittsburgh Steelers James Conner  RB Pittsburgh ACC  
  3* 106 Seattle Seahawks Amara Darboh  WR Michigan Big Ten  
  3* 107 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Kendell Beckwith  LB LSU SEC from NY Jets [R3 - 19]

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Anyone have thoughts on the idea of JJ Arcega-Whiteside as a potential big slot/move TE? Size is similar to Burton and he’s got elite ball skills and is a monster in the red zone. I’d love to get him matched up on safeties or LBs in the red zone and down the seam. Fits the Pace mold on character too. 

In my head I’m seeing 3rd downs with ARob and Miller outside with Burton and JJAW in the slot with Cohen in the backfield and then the same personnel with Davis in the backfield inside the red zone, and goal line packages with ARob and JJAW out wide for fade routes. 

I think the more likely guys to get converted are  Jalen Hurd and Miles Boykin

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

A lot of good and even great players get drafted in 3rd round, but most don’t do much of anything. Gets worse when you start at 87. 

Here is a look at 2017 3rd round from 87 for illustration.  You have to draft exceedingly well to grab a good guy in that range. Just saying to temper expectations. 

3 87 New York Giants Davis Webb  QB California Pac-12  
  3 88 Oakland Raiders Eddie Vanderdoes  DT UCLA Pac-12  
  3 89 Houston Texans D'Onta Foreman  RB Texas Big 12  
  3 90 Seattle Seahawks Shaquill Griffin  CB UCF The American  
  3 91 Los Angeles Rams John Johnson  S Boston College ACC from Kansas Cityvia Buffalo [R3 - 11]
  3 92 Dallas Cowboys Jourdan Lewis  CB Michigan Big Ten  
  3 93 Green Bay Packers Montravius Adams  DT Auburn SEC  
  3 94 Pittsburgh Steelers Cameron Sutton  CB Tennessee SEC  
  3 95 Seattle Seahawks Delano Hill  S Michigan Big Ten from Atlanta [R3 - 12]
  3 96 Detroit Lions Kenny Golladay  WR Northern Illinois MAC from New England [R3 - 13]

3* 98 Arizona Cardinals Chad Williams  WR Grambling State SWAC from Carolina [R3 - 14]
  3* 99 Philadelphia Eagles Rasul Douglas  CB West Virginia Big 12 from Baltimore [R3 - 15]
  3* 100 Tennessee Titans Jonnu Smith  TE Florida International C-USA from LA Rams [R3 - 16]
  3* 103 New Orleans Saints Trey Hendrickson  LB Florida Atlantic C-USA from Cleveland via New England [R3 - 17]
  3* 104 San Francisco 49ers C. J. Beathard  QB Iowa Big Ten from Kansas Cityvia Minnesota [R3 - 18]

I actually find this list reassuring

Really Good: Griffin, J Johnson, Golladay, Conner

Solid Starters: Foreman, Lewis, Douglas, Jones, Beckwith

Good Rotational Backups: Vanderdoes, Foreman, Adams, Sutton, Smith, Hendrickson

Not many guys on the list are flops.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

So I'm fine with this, lets get a James Conner in the 3rd. I also suggest we get a Tom Brady type in rd 6 just in case. 

Archived