Raiders Defense

Rolni

I was thinking there, I've never watched a good Raiders defense. When did we last have a strong one? I'm not even looking for a great one; just one that was in the top half in the league?

I started following the Raiders around 2000 (I'm from the UK and got into the sport via Madden - of course I was going to pick an exciting team!) - so the height of the Gruden era. I seem to remember the defense having a few marquee old guys back then, but it was primarily a team built on offensive success. Since then I'm sure you all don't need to be reminded about the number of terrible teams we've had, where both sides of the ball have stunk. But even in the few years of respectability over the course of my fandom (Cable/Hue's teams in 2009/10 and then since JDR got here), there hasn't been a good defense. I think the 09/10 teams would be the closest; we still had Nnamdi, Huff was balling out for a while and Seymour was holding it together in the middle. But a quick stat check finds those defenses were ranked 23rd and 20th respectively, so clearly still not good.

Basically, since I've watched the Raiders, the defense has been bad. I can count on one hand the number of defensive players we've had in that time who I've really enjoyed watching: CWood, Derrick Burgess, Nnamdi, and now Mack... maybe Seymour. Maybe. The main thing is... what's wrong with us? Why has it been so hard for us to field even a competent defense? I'm not expecting miracles here. Just give me a goddamn defense that doesn't give us the fear that they're going to let TEs, scrambling QBs, deep passes or RBs out of the backfield decimate us. Literally any of those things, I feel like we've been terrible against them for as long as I can remember. It's disgusting.

I don't recall Raiders ever having a top 5 defense.. i started watching in 90s, last great one was the LA Raider days with Howie Long and Townsend. The 2002 team was  good borderline top 10 

parrella and Sam Adams really stopped the run 

Armstrong, Upshaw were good pass rushers 

rod Woodson a half of famer had an amazing year 

romo brought the nasty 

napeleon Harris and Buchanan were flashy rookies 

Woodson was elite.... 

7 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

The 06 Rob Ryan defense was pretty good, iirc.

Only good year he ever had as a DC. We were #1 against the pass, 23rd against the run, and 18th in points allowed. Which was a miracle considering our offense barely averaged double digit points. We were loaded at CB with Nmandi(his epic 8 pick year), Fabs, Routt, and Carr all in their best years. Unfortunately, we had Huff and Schweigert at S. Sapp, K-Mo, Thomas Howard, D-Burg, Tommy Kelly, and who could forget the Big Terd inside.

I still shudder when I think about how bad we were with Walter and Brooks at QB that year. Lamont Jordan was our starting back half the year. Yikes.

I legit miss Zack Crockett tho...

We've had decent defenses in the past 15 years but our offense was such an embarrassment for so long that we never got to see how good they were.

From 2003-2009, no team got run against more then us. We finished with the most carries against 4 seasons in that span and we were the only team to finish in the bottom 5 every year of that 7 year stretch. Every game was pretty much over by halftime and teams were clock killing and wearing our D out.

Hard for me to blame the D much during that period

11 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Only good year he ever had as a DC. We were #1 against the pass, 23rd against the run, and 18th in points allowed. Which was a miracle considering our offense barely averaged double digit points. We were loaded at CB with Nmandi(his epic 8 pick year), Fabs, Routt, and Carr all in their best years. Unfortunately, we had Huff and Schweigert at S. Sapp, K-Mo, Thomas Howard, D-Burg, Tommy Kelly, and who could forget the Big Terd inside.

I still shudder when I think about how bad we were with Walter and Brooks at QB that year. Lamont Jordan was our starting back half the year. Yikes.

I legit miss Zack Crockett tho...

Wow this brings back some memories. The big Terd lol and Schweigert! Good times (not really). But I did love watching Justin Fargas. Loved that dude. 

4 hours ago, riceman80 said:

We've had decent defenses in the past 15 years but our offense was such an embarrassment for so long that we never got to see how good they were.

From 2003-2009, no team got run against more then us. We finished with the most carries against 4 seasons in that span and we were the only team to finish in the bottom 5 every year of that 7 year stretch. Every game was pretty much over by halftime and teams were clock killing and wearing our D out.

Hard for me to blame the D much during that period

I was just having this conversation with someone today.  It is hard to know how good or bad your D is when your offense is horrible.  First teams could be taking it easy on you knowing your offense can not come from behind and second if your offense can not maintain drives then your D gets worn out quickly.  No way of telling until your D has to play with a lead.  We saw that last week on the final drive the Chargers had.  We could not get a stop when we needed to.  Every time the other team needs a big play just watch their TE.  It has been our Achilles heel for a few years.

23 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Or the chips haven't fallen into place to address it the way they want. Davis went a few picks before us. Conley was a steal and Foster fell for a reason. McMillian went a few picks before us again in round 2. I'd put money on the chance we take either of those guys if they are on the board.

yea for sure, maybe it is just Reggie staying true to his board come draft day which i am a fan of. 

FAs though is a bit different, and i know there havent been a ton of options there. I guess i just would have thought the three of them would have made LBer one of the biggest priorities, however it seems it isnt. 

Again, I understand you cant fix all of our issues in a couple of offseasons, simply just stating from a money spent LBer is a position weve least addressed and I thought it wouldve been higher given the 3 of them playing it. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It wasn't. The offense was incredibly poor, teams would build a quick lead and sit on it. That is why you can never use stats as a measure. 

ha was about to say exactly this. 

Our Pass D was so good stat wise, cause teams would just run the clock out starting in the 2nd haha. 

cant remember if 2006 was the year we went 2-14, but anytime a team needed to score on us they would that year. (kind of like right now ha)

Edited by BackinBlack

11 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

ha was about to say exactly this. 

Our Pass D was so good stat wise, cause teams would just run the clock out starting in the 2nd haha. 

cant remember if 2006 was the year we went 2-14, but anytime a team needed to score on us they would that year. (kind of like right now ha)

It's the same year. Yeah this season has a lot of that kind of delusional feel to it. Seems like the team's doing too much. 

Hoping this will be the final season for Reggie Nelson, Keith McGill, David Amerson, and Sean Smith in a Raiders uniform. Do not resign Reggie Nelson and Keith McGill. I repeat do not resign those bums. Cut David Amerson and Sean Smith to clear up a ton of salary cap and use that money on better defensive players to help out Obi Melifonwu, Karl Joseph, Gareon Conley, Khalil Mack, Eddie Vanderdoes, and Mario Edwards Jr.

Move Karl Joseph permanently over to FS so we can finally have a FS with range, can get from sideline to sideline, and is a sure tackler. Hope Obi Melifonwu gets healthy and be that SS for us that can cover TEs with his great size and speed. Also, hope Gareon Conley gets healthy as well and showcase his talent to be one of the better CBs in the NFL. That leaves us with two big holes in the secondary that we need to address: The other starting outside LCB/RCB and the nickel CB. I wouldn’t mind resigning T.J. Carrie to be our nickel CB if the price is right, but we need to either sign a quality free agent outside LCB/RCB or draft a young talented outside LCB/RCB in the 1st three rounds of the 2018 NFL Draft.

This secondary... lord what a mess. Obi and Conley both need to be great just to begin to fix it.

Also... Luani has been a ghost. Surprised we don't see him pop more on STs and was hoping to see him get some snaps on defense.

And Erik Harris? Who is that? I don't even remember him in camp, etc. and I keep seeing him on STs lol.